Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

semi ot: finally got a new rig transport vehicle

After 17 great years, and 197,000 miles, I have put my trusty, bought new, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi on the back 40 to enjoy retirement from daily and gig use.

In its place, I acquired a very low mileage 2020 Dodge Grand Caravan GT. Of the many options this one has, it's has the 2nd row stow into the floor seats.   So not only the standard third row seats fold into the floor, so do the second row seats.

There's so much more room for any rig I want to load than I had with the truck with the bed cover. Height of gear is no longer an issue and all gear travels in a climate controlled, smooth, and carpeted environment.

Best thing is no longer lifting heavy stuff up into the bed of the truck.

I've already test loaded things, especially my red piano shell.  The two sliding doors, and the fully lifting rear hatch make accessing all gear simple.

My Ram served its purpose, and was good to me, yet it was time.   It will now become another in a long line of resto mods I've done to old cars I've owned. For the foreseeable future it sits.

Here's my new, pre-owned, musician transport device:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I love all the tie down hooks.  They do push down to be lower than the floor.

spacer.png

Like Henry Ford, I will take any color vehicle, as long as it's black ;)

spacer.png

My very soon to be 60 year old body, (6 days) really likes the VERY low entry of the rear hatch and side.

Best addition to what gear is my latest purchase

peace

• Like 9

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I used to use Grand Caravan's 20 years ago to haul gear and agree with all of the good things.

I could load my keyboard rig, small PA, lights, percussion, and on and on...

One thing not mentioned that I really liked was that they are stealth.

Bad guys aren't looking at these types of vehicles for the most part,

they would never know it was loaded with expensive gear,

'cause they would be expecting baby seats. :cool:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
:nopity:

Nice Gig Rig...congrats.

I got a new ride for my gear a few years ago, and the first thing I did was get one of those hard pieces of clear plastic that you see under office desk chairs...so they can roll easy over carpet. Made gear loading in & out a breeze & saved my carpets, which still look brand new.

Enjoy the ride, drive it in good health... & good gigs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

peace

For years I hauled my gear in an F250. When the kids fled the coop I started using the family mover - a Nissan Quest - and never looked back. The biggest advantage was not having to heave the heavy stuff onto the tailgate of that pickup. It was much shorter and easier putting it into the van. Congratulations on your purchase David! 

• Like 2

Congrats! My daily driver and gig rig is a 2011 Grand Caravan, very similar to your 2020 model (same stow-and-go seats, etc). It’s awesome. A little more in the width department would be nice (maybe 2-ish inches) just for when I’m bringing the big Motif XF8-based rig, but it does have a lot of space to work with for pretty much anything else, and I don’t haul that big rig much anymore. I was just spoiled with the 50”-wide Suburban bed when I first got the Motif back in 2016. But I sure don’t miss that height from the ground.

• Like 2

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

20 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

After 17 great years, and 197,000 miles, I have put my trusty, bought new, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi on the back 40 to enjoy retirement from daily and gig use.

In its place, I acquired a very low mileage 2020 Dodge Grand Caravan GT. Of the many options this one has, it's has the 2nd row stow into the floor seats.   So not only the standard third row seats fold into the floor, so do the second row seats.

There's so much more room for any rig I want to load than I had with the truck with the bed cover. Height of gear is no longer an issue and all gear travels in a climate controlled, smooth, and carpeted environment.

I've already test loaded things, especially my red piano shell.  The two sliding doors, and the fully lifting rear hatch make accessing all gear simple.

My Ram served its purpose, and was good to me, yet it was time.   It will now become another in a long line of resto mods I've done to old cars I've owned. For the foreseeable future it sits.

Here's my new, pre-owned, musician transport device:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I love all the tie down hooks.  They do push down to be lower than the floor.

spacer.png

Like Henry Ford, I will take any color vehicle, as long as it's black ;)

spacer.png

My very soon to be 60 year old body, (6 days) really likes the VERY low entry of the rear hatch and side.

Best addition to what gear is my latest purchase

peace

Yup, I have an older Dodge Grand Caravan, and IMO, it is the PERFECT vehicle for shlepping equipment.  Seats fold down making a flat floor, low to the ground so I can just tilt equipment in and out of it, and it is cavernous (holds my piano, amps, stands…all my gear and more)!  It’s enclosed, so I can lock it when needed, and never have to worry about rain being an issue.  I swear it was made for musicians / keyboardists.

• Like 2

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.