Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Song(s) that artist covered that became "go-to" version.

10 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

The songs are good, I said nothing about the material, just the mundane attempt to sing.

Yes I know, and that's what I was commenting on.

I even think James is a fine guitarist in his own right and realistically, if opening up his pie hole makes him money, I'm all for it. As long as I don't have to listen to it or pretend to like it. 

That's fine, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I've always wondered, how is "popularity" a metric for quality?

It isn't, nor was I saying it was... 

2 hours ago, El Lobo said:

The Mongo Santamaria version was the hit in 1963

I remembering  reading an interview with Herbie and how thanks to Donald Bird Herbie was able to have the financial foundation to build his career from Watermelon Man.   That Donald Bird was Herbie's mentor and told Herbie "always keep the publishing on your music no matter what" and that's what Herbie did.   He said it alway cost him his deal with BlueNote but they eventually gave in.    Herbie said most the BlueNotes artist had given their publishing over to BlueNote.    So Herbie always had money even when times were tough. 

20 hours ago, CowboyNQ said:

She’s Not There - Santana

I'd quibble with that one. Maybe it's because I was playing in a rock band in 1965 at the height of the British Invasion. Rod Argent's Rhodes solo is iconic.

• Like 3
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

6 hours ago, El Lobo said:

I'd quibble with that one. Maybe it's because I was playing in a rock band in 1965 at the height of the British Invasion. Rod Argent's Rhodes solo is iconic.

They’re both fine versions.

I prefer Santana’s take as I simply find it more interesting rhythmically and musically, making it my “go-to” when my band chose to cover it.

I don’t think OUR cover is the “go-to”, by the way.

Here are some more of my go-to covers;

“Here I Go Again (1987)” - Whitesnake 😂

“Beyond the Sea” - Bobby Darin

“Venus” - Bananarama