Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need anti-spyware software

My wife's computer was infested with spyware that I can't seem to rid with Ad-Aware. I can run Ad-Aware everyday and the same problems seem to arise.

Would a McAfee or Norton anti-spyware product work better than Ad-Aware and is there any advantage of McAfee vs. Norton? Also need a pop-up killer.

thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

My wife's computer was infested with spyware that I can't seem to rid with Ad-Aware. I can run Ad-Aware everyday and the same problems seem to arise.

Is would a McAfee or Norton product work better? Is there any advantage of one or the other? Also need a pop-up killer.

thanks

Spybot

Run it and AdAware daily for a while. Make sure you have a firewall, hardware or software, installed, and you should get these things under control.

I've got some adware that I want to remove but can't locate it. Really annoying. I think it's called binet or similar, the 3 offending files are named: biprep.exe bi.dll Belt.exe

I really would need a step-by-step guide on how to get rid of this nuisance.

Thanks.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

I've got some adware that I want to remove but can't locate it. Really annoying. I think it's called binet or similar, the 3 offending files are named: biprep.exe bi.dll Belt.exe

Thanks.

First, get "highjack this". Run that and delete necessary files. You gotta figure out which ones, but these forums can help: Computer guy . The software will create a restore point before deleting anything.

Then run spybot and fix problems.

Then run CWShreader and shread away.

I use anti-virus, anti-spyware,firewall, and popup filters. I still get spyware. Sometimes they are hard to hunt down and eliminate. The other day I started getting popups like crazy even though I have popup preventors running. When I ran "Hijack this", I found a file that told my system to allow popups. don't know how it got there, but there are so many holes in XP and Exporer that it is just going to happen.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Mats Olsson.:

Thanks.

You can usually google these processes to find sites with step-by-step instructions on removal. In most cases it involves hacking the registry.

Here is one link

Here is another

and there are a lot more.

Also, downloading spyware cleaner isn't enough, you need to make sure it's definitions are up to date. Try updating before you resort to hacking the registry.

the new spyware/adware will completely disable your browser over time and none of the removers will be able to locate it on your disk

you will end up having to do a recovery on your computer once you are infected or a system restore

you can try to remove it but i have had to do a restore 3 times this month so dont waste your time getting frustrated

You should run these programs while Windows is operating in "Safe Mode". This can make a big difference in removing adware that seems to avoid complete detection by Ad-Aware, et al.

Safe Mode will only load a minimal amount of drivers needed to run Windows. Then you can run the anti-virus program without the spyware/virus crap already being activated. Some of them are good at avoiding detection once they are activated.

the new spyware/adware will completely disable your browser over time and none of the removers will be able to locate it on your disk
Yeah, IE can get messed up pretty good. You can repair it without having to restore your system. There is a program for this and it helps to run it occasionally. I don't have a link, but you should be able to find it on the net.

Get these three programs:

PestPatrol (darn near perfect spyware removal)

ZoneAlarm (great firewall-takes some tweaking)

HistoryKill (drop down/cookie/history/recent programs/files very flexible)

I've also been extremely happy with AVG virus software. My system is about as bullet-proof as it gets without staying off-line. YMMV of course.

In addition to completely deleting files, BCWipe will encrypt the Windows swap file.

/jim

A little overkill, but with Bush in office.... ;)

"...it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lacking patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It is the same in any country."

-Hermann Goering, second in command of the Third Reich

Originally posted by RG203:

Yeah, IE can get messed up pretty good. You can repair it without having to restore your system. There is a program for this and it helps to run it occasionally. I don't have a link, but you should be able to find it on the net.

I believe you can do it in the Control Panel, in the 'Add/Remove Programs' menu. I think anything above Windows 98 will give you the option of repairing your install, but you might need your Windows disk for this.

Originally posted by soundthinker:

Get these three programs:

PestPatrol (darn near perfect spyware removal)

ZoneAlarm (great firewall-takes some tweaking)

HistoryKill (drop down/cookie/history/recent programs/files very flexible)

I've also been extremely happy with AVG virus software. My system is about as bullet-proof as it gets without staying off-line. YMMV of course.

In addition to completely deleting files, BCWipe will encrypt the Windows swap file.

/jim

A little overkill, but with Bush in office.... ;)

Are you pretty happy with Zone Alarm Jim? I have used that firewall for a few years now. It has, at times caused me problems with some web sites such as eBay. I switched to a different free firewall but did not like that as much and switched back. I have noticed that after installing a wireless router so my daughter can have Internet without hogging my computer, my cases of spyware have gone up. I don't know how much more secure I could be without being consumed by it all. :mad:

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

RG203 is absolutely correct - run your spyware and adware scanners while the computer is in 'safe mode'. I ran AdAware on my wife's machine and found 30 items, then rebooted in 'safe mode', ran AdAware again, and it found 309 more items that were unnoticed while the system was running full-out.

Many programs, files and drivers will convert to 'stealth' mode when they're loaded, and AdAware can't find them (or remove them)when the system is running full. Starting in 'safe mode' and running your adware and spyware detection tools is the way to go.

To do this, boot your system while holding down the 'F8' key. This should offer you the option of booting in safe mode.

Good luck,

Tim from Jersey :thu:

Play. Just play.

Archived