Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Old board/new pedal??

I'm still very fond of the action on my CME-UF80s, but Pianoteq has me wishing they had more pedaling capability.  I can't find the manual, and tech support with CME never worked out, so I'm asking here if anyone knows or thinks I can connect at least  a 2 pedal option (half pedal sustain or continuous, plus Una Corda) to the 1/4" jack on the CME.  Perhaps a midi solutions type box in between?

Well 60 views and no responses. Either I ask a question too dumb for an answer, or I was too specific in naming the CME.

So.......what happens if you plug one of these 

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/accessories/fc3a/index.html

into the 1/4""sustain jack"  of an older midi board?

as for me not responding earlier, your question did  refer to a particular keyboard that I am not familiar with, so I hesitated.

Guess I'm not alone, here.  Best I can tell, that pedal will only do half pedaling on keyboards that will recieve this information and can process it,

otherwise it would be only sustain, or not if the pedal is not pressed.

I would bet Bad Mister (Phil Clendenin) over at the Yamaha forums could have a better answer for you.

:nopity:

Here's a link to the manual:  https://www.cme-pro.com/proline/cme_uf56780classic_manual_v03_en.pdf

It looks like each pedal input can only do one thing so to get sustain and una corda you'd have to use both pedal inputs i.e. no volume/expression pedal.

For Midisolutions you'd need a Pedal Controller to add continuous sustain or a Footswitch Controller for una corda.  You may also need a Power Adapter depending on the midi voltage on the CME.

A more expansive  alternative would be an Audiofront Midi Expression iO:  https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php      This would give you an extra 4 pedal inputs, continuous or switch.

3 hours ago, changearound2 said:

A more expansive  alternative would be an Audiofront Midi Expression iO:  https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php      This would give you an extra 4 pedal inputs, continuous or switch.

Yeah, I realize I was looking at this all wrong.  The obvious solution is to ignore the pedal input jacks on the board completely and connect whatever pedals I want directly to the computer via some sort of interface.  I'll look at that link, and some other leads I've gotten.  Someone at Modartt is also working on an interface solution that they hope to unveil by January.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Steve Nathan said:

Yeah, I realize I was looking at this all wrong.  The obvious solution is to ignore the pedal input jacks on the board completely and connect whatever pedals I want directly to the computer via some sort of interface.  I'll look at that link, and some other leads I've gotten.  Someone at Modartt is also working on an interface solution that they hope to unveil by January.  

You can attach pedals to both the CME and the midisolutions/audiofront - it's not either/or. The MS/AF will add their midi to whatever comes out of the CME.

Interesting to see what Modartt come up with. I imagine their interface would have to be quite flexible to control both Pianoteq and Organteq.

Let us know what you end up doing.

23 hours ago, Steve Nathan said:

Perhaps a midi solutions type box in between?

Yes,- please double check features of Audiofront MIDI Expression iO ...

the black box on bottom of site is the professional tool.

I bought it for my ancient Rhodes mk80 to expand w/ more pedals and to get USB-MIDI.

But I don´t use a "half-damper" pedal, so I dunno what´s up w/ this and your CME board.

IMO, it should work when reading the following from specs:

"Every MIDI Expression input is compatible with expression pedals, sustain pedals, footswitches, and even force sensitive resistors found in most hihat pedal designs. With polarity reversing inputs, MIDI Expression devices boast maximum compatibility with gear from different manufactures."

The FAQ/ pedal compatibility list contains Roland DP-10 which is a "half-damper" pedal !

:)

A.C.

3 hours ago, changearound2 said:

You can attach pedals to both the CME and the midisolutions/audiofront - it's not either/or

True, but if the pedal input on the CME wasn’t designed for a continuous damper pedal, you should skip it (or remap it for use as the una corda or sostenuto pedal). The Audiofront looks like it definitely will do the job for both continuous and simple open/closed switches. 

There’s another piece to this - if the OP wants to use a pedal unit, for the ergonomics, it becomes messy, because none of the 3-pedal units on the market have separate plugs for each pedal - they terminate to a single proprietary connector, or 2 1/4” plugs for the 3 pedals. I notice the Casio S1000 and S3000 have a 1/4” trs jack for a continuous damper pedal, but also a single multi-pin jack for connecting the Casio 3 pedal unit. This Casio pedal set looks like a good candidate for a simple splitter that separates the contacts to 3 separate jacks/plugs. But that would require some custom work.  

It would be great if Modartt releases something that will support one or more of the standard brand 3-pedal sets on the market.

-jb

52 minutes ago, Steve Nathan said:

For a 2 pedal unit, I ran across these folks (I've never heard of, but no surprise).

https://beatbars.com/fr/dual-to-midi.html

Looks perfect. For service in English, please press https://beatbars.com/en/dual-to-midi.html

Here for the gear.

14 hours ago, Steve Nathan said:

Perhaps it really is as simple as plugging the 3 TRS plugs of a Roland RPU-3 Pedal Unit into an  MIDI Expression IO.  

Yes,- and there´s the free configuration software for fine tuning and MIDI merge functionality for other/more ext. gear.

I mimic ALL the controllers my KURZ PC3 offers as pedals, buttons and sliders on my MK80 by using this box, more pedals and merge in a JL Copper Fadermaster Pro while it connects via DIN MIDI and USB.

:)

A.C.

FYI, I see the original MIDI expressions single port unit ( 1 pedal input and USB out) is not available until May 2023.  I actually have one of these I don’t use.  So if anyone wants one, PM me and I’m sure we can work out a reasonable price.  

(I’m one of those anti-pack rats, who can’t stand having stuff I don’t use…have had something close to 40 keyboards over the years and only have 5 in the house.). 

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman