Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The White Lotus Theme

JamPro

I've been enjoying The White Lotus on HBO.  It is hilarious, quirky, and yet makes me ponder our human relationships.  And I love the theme music (by Christobal Tapia De Veer), which is as quirky and original as the show.

Season one theme:

Season two theme:

To me, the music is arresting, and the sound design with the voice instruments is hauntingly beautiful.  It sounds to me at once human, animalistic, organic, earthly, and unreal, all at the same time.

Be Inspired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2022 at 10:58 PM, Jonathan Hughes said:

I love the theme(s). I hadn't noticed that the theme changed in the new season. It's really cool that the composer reimagined it for the second season while still keeping a similar feel and palette of sounds.

I read an interview with the composer who said that the show's producer wanted a theme in the style of "Hawaiian Hitchcock".  So the composer started out with lots of percussion to help with the "Hawaiian" aspect of the theme.  The composer says he did all the percussion himself, and also did the shrieks and moans that appear in the track.  I of course want to know if the vocals are actual singing or a synth/sampler.  I am guessing that it is synth/sampler because of the way the vocal hiccups match up perfectly in the harmony parts.  Perhaps it is Melodyne.

The second season is supposed to be in Sicily, and the composer has a lot more acoustic piano in the theme - perhaps to give the theme a more European flavor.