Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lehle Dual Expression Pedal

benj2017

Thought I might start a new thread for this pedal:

https://www.lehle.com/en/lehle-dual-expression

I am using it with a Nord Stage 3 and a Prophet Rev 2, and also have the USB port going into a USB hub and then into my iPad via the camera connection kit. (Midi monitor confirms that the iPad is receiving the data) My thoughts/observations:

1. Very smooth travel and even tracking through the range due to the use of a magnetic sensor rather than a mechanical potentiometer.
  2. Good quality, easy to calibrate, and will self adjust/calibrate for different keyboard inputs
  3. Small footprint, but sturdy underfoot
  4. Can power the pedal by USB
  5. Sends expression data (cc#11) on midi. ch. 1 by default
  6. Good customer support
  7. Cons are that it is expensive and not a long throw pedal like the FC-7

My question for any Camelot Pro or Midiflow users is that it seems like it is possible with both these apps to assign an incoming midi message (i.e. the lehle pedal on ch.1 ) to multiple midi channels inside the app. Can anyone confirm this and make a case for which app is easier to use? I will need to integrate it with Band Helper which is the app I use to send program changes, as well as certain CC messages.

Thanks,

Ben

Studio: Motif XF8 / MacBook Pro / Apollo Twin X / M-Audio BX8a / Plug-ins

Live Rig A: Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 / Prophet Rev2 / Various FX pedals (Eventide, Strymon, Lounsberry, Neo Vent II)

Live Rig B: Yamaha MODX7 / Crumar D9-X / B3-X  (iPad)

Amp: MS KP-610s

20 hours ago, benj2017 said:

Cons are that it is expensive and not a long throw pedal like the FC-7

The Boss EV-30, Behringer FCV100, and I think(?) the Boss FV-500L also can supply two expression outputs, but like the one targeted here also are not long throw like the FC-7. All of these are potentially less expensive alternatives.

People frown on this but I created a splitter cable of 1 TRS female to 2 TRS male plugs. It allows me to use one expression pedal to control two keyboards.  I've was told this was harmful to the keyboards because the expression jack supplies 5V power and this would fry the boards.  In reality I've found this theory to be inaccurate, I've been doing this for well over 20 years with M-Audio, Kurzweil, Yamaha, Korg and GEM keyboards using various combinations.  NEVER had an issue despite the practice being frowned upon.  So I accomplish this with one pedal and one homemade splitter.  I also use combinations of keyboards that are Roland wiring specific and others that are Yamaha wired specific.  On the splitter I just attach an inverter to one of the plug ends that has backward compatibility.  Actually works perfectly.  

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

On 11/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, Delaware Dave said:

I've was told this was harmful to the keyboards because the expression jack supplies 5V power and this would fry the boards.

That's not right, the pedal has no source of power. I'm no expert, but as I understand it, the keyboard "supplies 5v power" to the pedal, in that it imposes a potential difference between the two fixed contacts of a variable resistor, and measures the potential difference to the wiper. 

I can see how connecting the 5v and ground rails of two keyboards together via their expression pedal sockets (as your splitter cable does) might not be the greatest idea, but equally how keyboards can tolerate it. 

CHeers, Mike.

When I said expression pedal jack carrying the 5V charge I meant the jack on the keyboards, not the pedal, sorry if I wasn't clear on that point.  As I mentioned above I've had no issues in 20 years with a large variety of keyboard combinations.  My equipment is getting fairly old so the approach I have taken is standing the test of time and certainly not creating additional wear and tear (in my view).  

• Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

On 11/6/2022 at 8:35 PM, benj2017 said:

https://www.lehle.com/en/lehle-dual-expression

1.Very smooth travel and even tracking through the range due to the use of a magnetic sensor rather than a mechanical potentiometer.

That's great news.  I gotta start saving my pennies now.

I've been looking for a non-potentiometer expression pedal for much of my adult life.  My Farfisa organs both had opto-resistors (is that a word?) and spoiled me.  

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361