Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Product Announcement Forum for manufacturers?

Product Announcement Sub-forum For Manufacturers?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do We Want To Have A Product Announcement Sub-forum For Manufacturers?

• Yes, I like the idea
    • No, let’s keep things the way they are now
    • I have no opinion either way

As mentioned in an earlier post by me, what I currently have in mind is this:

On 11/1/2022 at 3:57 PM, Dave Bryce said:

No posting about sales or promotions, one post per new product, etc.  It should probably specifically be limited to new product announcements.

What I’m leaning towards is having press releases sent to a designated MPN email address, then we’ll clear and post them (like GearSpace does); however, unlike Gearspace, we probably won’t go with replies in the thread.  I’m inclined to agree that discussions about said gear belong in whichever forum someone who wants to start a thread about it chooses.

Having new announcement posts in the general forum doesn’t really feel like the way to go - they’ll get buried in all the other posts too easily.  I think having them all in one place, easily searchable, is the most manageable solution.

Despite the folks who don’t wanna have to click on another forum, it does seem to be the best way to go, and a small price to pay to have that info available via MPN.  It also feels to me like opening it up to (curated) gear announcements other than keyboard related stuff is the most sensible approach - not only are there forums other than KC, but there are non-KC categories in which more than a few of us are interested, as previously noted…

…and, FWIW, some of the other MPN forums are pretty cool.  Dr. Anderton’s forum alone is worth the price of admission. 😎

dB

• Like 3

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

1 hour ago, EscapeRocks said:

If we add a section, I propose we do that here.  Only the company can post in that section, and then we can discuss it in the general forum.

I can see Davids point here it could become a shitfight. Where this forum is far from that style of thing.

My hope was to only allow manufacturers if they were prepared to involve themselves in the discussion but i could see David's point being valid. 

So call it a new Product News subforum. Manufacturers announce something giving their spin in it and its up to us in the standard to forum to discuss as we have been doing.

My hope was it to give the little guys with a cottage industry a place to display their wares. I was not really interested in the big boys who have tenticles everwhere.

But i can see trouble a brewing. We have a bunch of guys who are quick off the mark with new product threads so lets not stifle that. 

Give manufacturers a sub forum to announce and let our guys decry or rejoice the new product on the normal forum.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

What I’m leaning towards is having press releases sent to a designated MPN email address, then we’ll clear and post them (like GearSpace does); however, unlike Gearspace, we probably won’t go with replies in the thread.  I’m inclined to agree that discussions about said gear belong in whichever forum someone who wants to start a thread about it chooses.

Having new announcement posts in the general forum doesn’t really feel like the way to go - they’ll get buried in all the other posts too easily.  I think having them all in one place, easily searchable, is the most manageable solution.

This sounds fine. Also, though, maybe offer to have the same items simultaneously posted in the main forum (at the mfr's discretion), which is where the product could be discussed, and where mfrs could get feedback if they are looking for it. Good idea or unnecessary duplicative clutter?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

14 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

I like the idea

If I may offer a thought based on my direct experience running another site.

We opened a manufacturers area. AT first it was cool, as that's where they would post a new product coming out.

Unfortunately, as usually happens, the topic would devolve into arguments amongst forum members, and forum members pretty much castigating the manufacturer if they didn't like something about the product.

Eventually those companies stopped posting new products in their section.....as some people just can't behave.

We basically made it so no replies were allowed, and forum members could then discuss whatever new product back in the regular sections.  It has worked out very well!

If we add a section, I propose we do that here.  Only the company can post in that section, and then we can discuss it in the general forum.

Brilliant idea! Wish I'd thought of it. :)  But seriously that does seem like the way to go.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

1 hour ago, AnotherScott said:

This sounds fine. Also, though, maybe offer to have the same items simultaneously posted in the main forum (at the mfr's discretion), which is where the product could be discussed, and where mfrs could get feedback if they are looking for it. Good idea or unnecessary duplicative clutter?

Much as the idea appeals to me (as I’m not interested in the fragmentation and would rather get my information on KC), that would basically be two ads for the price of none. I’d vote for just the one “announcement” on the sub-forum. 

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

Policy is way out of date.   People are capable of forming their own opinions.  Nearly all media entities believe that their readership is beneath them, so they take a "Caretaker Attitude"   Hopefully, this well-needed change will take place.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Update - the forum is under construction.  

Admin and mods can see it now, and we’ll light it up for everybody else shortly.  It will live in the FEATURED section right under the GEARLAB.  All posts will be fully curated by a dedicated MPN Press Desk account.

Thanks so much to all y’all for the input and suggestions.  As always, very helpful.  ☺️

Youse guys rawk. :rocker:

dB

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 4:16 AM, Dave Bryce said:

Update - the forum is under construction.  

Admin and mods can see it now, and we’ll light it up for everybody else shortly.  It will live in the FEATURED section right under the GEARLAB.  All posts will be fully curated by a dedicated MPN Press Desk account.

Thanks so much to all y’all for the input and suggestions.  As always, very helpful.  ☺️

Youse guys rawk. :rocker:

dB

How is this going Dave? Or have i missed it when trying to find it?

24 minutes ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

How is this going Dave? Or have i missed it when trying to find it?

Nah, it’s still hidden while we populate it a bit more.  Only a few releases in there now. :idk:

We weren’t on anybody’s press contact list - gonna take a minute to light that up.

dB

Just now, Dave Bryce said:

Nah, it’s still hidden while we populate it a bit more.  Only a few releases in there now.

We weren’t on anybody’s press contact list - gonna take a minute to light that up.

dB

No hurry just doing a read of the other forums presently. Thought id look for it after mentioning a member here might like to relate it to a manufacturer they know.

• Like 1

Hard to see a downside of this.  The main forum should be reserved for use of products in action and questions about interface/sounds, etc.  Separate forum keeps the main discussion forum from getting too crowded and I can keep search queries for product announcements and main forum separate.

PLEASE set a rule that product announcements must be a real product available for purchase and not a "teaser" or vaporware.  I get SO tired of teasers.

Suggest that there be some way of registering the manufacturers' IP address (or other identity) to prevent impersonating a "user" in the main discussion forum or MPN Lab.  Sadly this does happen on other sites.  Without naming names, I have left groups because of too many ads posing as "I got mine" threads regarding a certain manufacturer.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, The Real MC said:

PLEASE set a rule that product announcements must be a real product available for purchase and not a "teaser" or vaporware.  I get SO tired of teasers.

Bloody good idea.

If there "aint" no real photo it doesn't exist hee hee

• Like 1

Thanks Dave good stuff 

ill enjoy this new section just to have more stuff to read when ive read our normal threads. 

I even found an item on there already i hadnt heard about so i look forward to more manufacturers big and small coming on board.

Thanks for your hard work. I know there would have been a lot of your time involved.