Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: New subforum for beginners?

Jose EB5AGV

While I agree that there probably doesn't need to be a beginner's forum, I do hope that this discussion encourages some hesitant posters (for ANY topic and at ANY playing level), to step forward, ask questions, and contribute more.  For me personally (I'm no beginner), I know I have hesitated replying many times due to some less than welcoming remarks I've seen on many topics.  

• Like 5

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

5 hours ago, Cabo said:

While I agree that there probably doesn't need to be a beginner's forum, I do hope that this discussion encourages some hesitant posters (for ANY topic and at ANY playing level), to step forward, ask questions, and contribute more.  For me personally (I'm no beginner), I know I have hesitated replying many times due to some less than welcoming remarks I've seen on many topics.  

This reminds me of the thread about the sale of Piano World.  Do we want to encourage folks from over there to spend more time here?  I don't spend time there so have no opinion.  But, if so, should we have a sticky thread to explicitly welcome folks like that?   

23 hours ago, Morrissey said:

This reminds me of the thread about the sale of Piano World.  Do we want to encourage folks from over there to spend more time here?  I don't spend time there so have no opinion.  But, if so, should we have a sticky thread to explicitly welcome folks like that?   

I don’t know enough about the Piano World forum to comment intelligently; however, I’m inclined to welcome fellow musicians to MPN…so if there’s some sort of indication of interest on the part of the Piano World folks to have a new home here, we can certainly accommodate them.  We can do anything from a sticky thread to their own forum.

If one of y’all wants to start a thread about that and point the community this way, I’ll be glad to sticky it for a while to see what happens.

dB

• Like 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I’ll go all out existential here, but no matter where you’re at, you’re only just beginning. Ha.

I’ve been playing out for 42 years, and there are many areas where I could solidly be considered a “beginner” (e.g., playing reggae, playing a pipe organ, using VSTs, FM synthesis) and I would not want to be separated from those who are more familiar with these things. Even if it’s something for which I initially may have little interest, more than once such a topic has stimulated discovery and growth from the breadth of knowledge among the brethren here.

• Like 1

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

3 hours ago, Moonglow said:

I’ll go all out existential here, but no matter where you’re at, you’re only just beginning. Ha.

I’ve been playing out for 42 years, and there are many areas where I could solidly be considered a “beginner” (e.g., playing reggae, playing a pipe organ, using VSTs, FM synthesis) and I would not want to be separated from those who are more familiar with these things. Even if it’s something for which I initially may have little interest, more than once such a topic has stimulated discovery and growth from the breadth of knowledge among the brethren here.

I didn't start trying to play piano until I was 70 after over 50 years of guitar and bass.    Some ask me why and it really throws them when I say it fun being a beginner again.      I find learning things be it music or whatever is what makes me happy.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Docbop said:

I didn't start trying to play piano until I was 70 after over 50 years of guitar and bass.    Some ask me why and it really throws them when I say it fun being a beginner again.      I find learning things be it music or whatever is what makes me happy.   

Same with me and electric guitar.  Been playing acoustic guitar for a while, but never really got onto the electric thing until about two years ago.  TOTALLY fun to take up a new instrument armed with a set of skills and experience I didn’t have when I started playing keys.

I tell ya, it’s even changed my keyboard playing technique, both from a touch/accent and voicing POV.

Got a mandolin a few months ago as well.  Way too much fun.  😄

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

On 10/13/2022 at 11:05 AM, Adan said:

Going back several years, there were certain individuals who spent a lot of time on this forum and were not as patient and welcoming to people they believed were below them on the totem pole.  Those people have mostly moved on and that subculture seems to have thankfully dissolved.

They occasionally made for some lively discussions, but at the end of the day, I'm glad we outlasted them!

On 10/13/2022 at 11:55 AM, EB5AGV said:

OK, I see nobody seems to think it is a good idea so, no problem, just toss it 👎

I disagree and it's a shame this won't happen. Yeah people are willing to share here or wherever but I think a lot of beginners would be hesitant to post questions for fear of feeling foolish....if they had a dedicated beginners' area, they could feel like they're posting in an area with like folks. I've seen such sections in other boards (e.g. Gearslutz) and it worked well. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bill5 said:

I disagree and it's a shame this won't happen. Yeah people are willing to share here or wherever but I think a lot of beginners would be hesitant to post questions for fear of feeling foolish....if they had a dedicated beginners' area, they could feel like they're posting in an area with like folks. I've seen such sections in other boards (e.g. Gearslutz) and it worked well. 

Yes, that was my point. But if the vast majority of the Forum (or at least the ones who have responded) seems to think that it is not a good idea, it won't happen.

As a sample, my own case: 54 years old, began to play keyboards at 50, from zero experience... Then, on last July, I had my first gig with my band (which I joined in March this year). For me, it would have been nice to chat with other people close to their 'career' beginning, so to say. But it is true that any question I have written here, has been nicely answered (thanks!)

But, again, a beginners area would be welcomed 🙏

Jose

45 minutes ago, Al Quinn said:

Just to be clear, I only disagreed with the OP's example topic -- comping -- being a beginners topic.

So... maybe, just maybe, the Admin could create a beginners forum and see what happens in a period of time?. It maybe sit unused, so topics could be just merged with main one (or even deleted...). Or, maybe, it gets a good start and it helps to the development of this already wonderful keyboardists forum... just an idea 😅