Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Viscount EXP organ module/ first impressions but....need owners manual !

LX 88

I lucked out ! I am a big fan of any and all Key B organ products. A friend of mine bid on a Viscount  EXP organ module and we wound up getting this for $ 325.

However there is no owners manual and they are damn hard to find online.

So here are some impressions. It defaults to the leslie sim business...I confess I hate that because my go to sound is chorus vibrato without any spin. But IMO...the leslie sim is great! Why...???because it doesn't try to impress using a bunch cabinet sim or mic placement or all kinds of editing crazy making. No Just a nice subtle spin that affects the organ tone less than any other sim I have used.

I was able to find percussion volume control. Huge plus for the Viscount here. Once again percussion volume access is crucial to me because different speakers and phones behave differently.

The overdrive isn't too bad... not a big issue for me and there seem to be more editing parameters than

the Legend solo keyboard.

And this also has 3 band EQ. I like this because most leslies have a pretty substantial gap in the midrange and clonewheels sound warmer to me with mids backed off slightly. Another plus.

Without the manual I don't have a clue how to set up upper and lower split. There probably all kinds of other things I need to know that a manual would provide.

So where is this stupid thing online????We found one in SPANISH last night. Viscount is not making this sort of thing easy

I still have my Numa ! and still like it. To me Key B chorus vibrato and leslie sim are my favorite in the clonewheel world. But I find that each player likes something different. What I like is probably going to be different from what you like.

If anyone can post a link to the MANUAL for the Key B Viscount Legend expander...it would be greatly appreciated

Silly question, but have you reached out to Viscount directly?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I tried the link Red Key sent and it leads me to a brief overview of the module only only.

Perhaps one of you has one of these and has set up the upper lower split on a single keyboard

Beyond that I am getting a great sound out of the upper manual. The overdrive seems different than my older Legend solo keyboard version. I have also heard that Viscount offers downloadable organs but once again its not tremendously obvious where this would be. Viscount has so many different models of church organs etc....the whole Key B thing seems like a sideline. And too bad that Joey D. is not around for promotion anymore,

But yes... I m

5 minutes ago, LX 88 said:

I tried the link Red Key sent and it leads me to a brief overview of the module only only.

As he said, after you go to that link, "The PDF manual is right there under support ready to be downloaded."  He also attached the manual to his message, but definitely check out the Support section of that page anyway, because not only is that where the manual is, but that's also where you will find the editors, OS updates, and the downloadable alternate organ models.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

When I go to the right there under support ready to be downloaded stuff I just get a bunch of catalog and advertisement.

What should we do with the rest of us dumb and technically challenged.  Would a concentration camp be a good idea?

Where is Sven when you need him?

Will try again....

17 minutes ago, LX 88 said:

When I go to the right there under support ready to be downloaded stuff I just get a bunch of catalog and advertisement.

Hmm. I don't know how it appears on mobile, if that's what you're using, but from a desktop browser, you should see something like this:

Here is the top of the page...

1797483624_ScreenShot2022-10-09at2_29_41PM.thumb.jpg.fffe0eb1d519438c8ed2f75290b7290e.jpg

and then when you click that Support tab, it scrolls you further down to this...

917335033_ScreenShot2022-10-09at2_30_38PM.thumb.jpg.620043288ffacfb718f4f8159d3a17bd.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

OK.... this was under "support" but not downloads.

And yes...Scott's last post pointed out where it was so THANK YOU SCOTT

Anyway...regarding EXP expander. Very big WOW on this....I have the Mojo module and HX3. The guy who put this on ebay GAVE it away.

The overdrive and leslie sim have big improvements. CV on Key B has always been excellent. Great EQ section...lots of bass, which is not always the case with modules.

I like using different controllers too.  I am just saying ...if you are looking for clonewheel sounds....as far as what I have been looking for thi just bout nails it. Great for rock and jazz. BIg kudos to Joey D.'s input on  all Key B products.

Just wondering what might be a good controller for this. I know there is probably a thread on that somewhere..... waterfall keys would be optional.

To me this leslie sim is far and away not most natural sounding. And there is no temptation to edit it... no muss no fuss.

From what I have seen there is too much emphasis on programming " character" into some other leslie sims in the other modules I have tried. The Key B affects the basic tone less .And they improved the overdrive....

There are 6 organ models on this and the neat thing is the 30's BC model. This one is different than my older keyboard version.... but the all the way down bass is just incredible.... haven't seen anyone else address this.

I have loved Key B since getting the Numa 1 in 2011. There was plenty of bitching about that...supposedly had latency....nonsense. 

It's obvious to me why Joey D. went with Key B/ Viscount. There couldn't have been that much money in it....

4 hours ago, LX 88 said:

what might be a good controller for this. I know there is probably a thread on that somewhere..... waterfall keys would be optional

clonk here

it´s possibly the one and only available today.

Advantage:

You can use it for many organ clones, hardware and software,- and for more !

B.t.w.,- I didn´t like it´s previous look and like much better now.

Unfortunately, it´s not available @Thomann a.t.m..

I hope it will come back for an acceptable price ...

:)

A.C.