Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Not my next Guitar.

3 hours ago, surfergirl said:

Keola Beamer Guitars. Unfortunately I don't have 14 thousand in my piggy bank.

https://grimesguitars.com/portfolio-items/beamer-model-3/

Beautiful!

1967 master grade Brazilian Rosewood (*see its history at the bottom of this list)

I can't seem to find the "history" there?

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I don't think I could own a guitar like that, it would own me. 

I'd never be comfortable letting anybody else play it and I probably wouldn't play it either. 

Plus, if I could afford it, I'd want one custom made for me, with a fat neck and a cutaway plus one of the under the soundboard pickup systems so I could take it to open mic night and thrash it mercilessly. 😇

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

I'd want one custom made for me, with a fat neck and a cutaway plus one of the under the soundboard pickup systems so I could take it to open mic night and thrash it mercilessly.

Yhup.

I don't think it'd cost you quite as much, either. Although that very old Brazilian Rosewood is probably pretty pricey... might be cost-effective to settle for some nice Koa or something.

Now, I am NOT ridiculing that guitar, its maker, or even its price. It's beautiful, impressive, probably sounds amazing and plays fantastically; definitely in a rarified niche.

• Like 2

I think you are correct, surfergirl. 

It's a gorgeous guitar and probably a thrill to play but frightening at the same time. 

Quite some time ago a customer brought in a new, immaculate Martin D-45 and he wanted a minor tweak on it. I did the tweak, double checked it and put it back in the case before a fly speck could get on it. At that time, those were $10,000 guitars. 

I was dying to play it and afraid to touch it at the same time. Some things are TOO NICE for my evil approach to playing guitar!

It's one of the reasons I love my Rainsongs so much. They look industrial and long to be played. I play them and don't worry about it, and they sound fantastic. 

They are unaffected by the weather changes we have up here on the Washington coast too. 

• Like 4

it’s really hard to judge acoustic instruments by their appearances.  When I was a cellist, I had a low-end but still pro-level instrument.  It was about $2500 in 1978.  It sounded great compared to most of the instruments it got played near.  Its finish was almost red.  

My last instructor’s cello was over 400 years old, and looked it.  But when I got to play it- ever so briefly- I found it to be shockingly lightweight and capable of rattling tchotchke in the room digging in on an open C note.

I also got to see California Guitar Trio’s Somogyi guitars up close when they were touring and doing shows at Border’s.  Those run over $30k each.  But not only were they beautiful, the craftsmanship and skill involved in their construction yielded 3 guitars that sounded virtually identical to each other.*

* Which they proved by playing a piece in which there were 3 different guitar parts being played, and they swapped parts in the fly.  The only way to really tell was by watching their fingers.

• Like 5

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

It's worth bearing in mind that this is an instrument intended for a top-level pro that specializes in playing acoustic instruments, perhaps strictly acoustic with no pickups of any kind, no more than microphones, if that.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

It's worth bearing in mind that this is an instrument intended for a top-level pro that specializes in playing acoustic instruments, perhaps strictly acoustic with no pickups of any kind, no more than microphones, if that.

Or for kids who have wealthy parents, or for lottery winners or or or....

I have a couple of friends who have impressive vintage guitar collections but they can barely get through a song with G,C and D chords in the cowboy position. 

I don't care, it's their money. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Or for kids who have wealthy parents, or for lottery winners or or or....

I am sure that it is NOT intended for such buyers- though I'm also sure there are such buyers.

5 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

For $14,000, I could easily buy everything on my current GAS last, and still have a few thousand left over . . .

My point is, this would largely be such a musician's entire rig- at least, for the most part. Where you and I would have amps, pedals, processors, synths, all the cables and utilities that go with all that...

It's still peanuts (or a few large bags of cashews ;)) compared to the prices for some of the instruments in the symphonic world; or, some custom made Jazz carved-top guitars. 

• Like 2

The $14,700 Beamer is Brazilian Rosewood. The other Beamer models are in the $8000 range. Still to rich for me, but then they weren't made for me.

There is a video on the meet the maker link that gives insite into his guitar making and his collection old stock wood.

At the 35 minute mark on my Keola Beamer post in "what's in your eyes" there is a part on the making of the Beamer Guitar.

• Like 2

Jennifer S.

1 hour ago, surfergirl said:

The $14,700 Beamer is Brazilian Rosewood. The other Beamer models are in the $8000 range. Still to rich for me, but then they weren't made for me.

Nor for me! I mean, I can appreciate 'em- but I'll be plenty happy when I get my beat-up old Yairi fixed up again and-

pKH6kAE.gif

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

My point is, this would largely be such a musician's entire rig- at least, for the most part. Where you and I would have amps, pedals, processors, synths, all the cables and utilities that go with all that...

Add to that the fact that much or all of the material on my GAS list is, for lack of a kinder description, mass-produced, while I suspect that each one of these Instruments is the result of painstaking hand-crafting . . . which is a great deal of what you're really paying for in buying an Instrument like one of these.

I would very interested in hearing one of these Guitars in the hands of someone who should have one.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

4 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Here's a bargain, a pre-owned ("used" is just so tacky...) Santa Cruz guitar for only $6,000.

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/msg/d/lynden-santa-cruz-h13/7541078069.html

Looks like a nice one...

Pre-enjoyed! ☺️

It's probably a really nice guitar.

IF I were gigging and recording a lot, and IF I could afford it- or something similar enough, in such a price range- I MIGHT consider such a purchase; but also only IF playing the given guitar seemed like a religious experience. IF.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Pre-enjoyed! ☺️

It's probably a really nice guitar.

IF I were gigging and recording a lot, and IF I could afford it- or something similar enough, in such a price range- I MIGHT consider such a purchase; but also only IF playing the given guitar seemed like a religious experience. IF.

All that plus, FIRST I'd need to have a fairly decent automobile. Then the guitar.

I'm completely happy with my Rainsong OM1000, it plays great, sounds great and stays in tune. $900 used, which was a bargain. 
I got one for my brother (he paid for it) for $1,200 and that's still very fair for what it is. 

That said, it's a "plastic" guitar, not wood. Sounds as good or better than any wood guitar I've ever played and I have played many. I'm happy with it. 

10 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

All that plus, FIRST I'd need to have a fairly decent automobile. Then the guitar.

Well, I roll factors like that into, "IF I could afford it".

12 minutes ago, KuruPrionz said:

I'm completely happy with my Rainsong OM1000, it plays great, sounds great and stays in tune. $900 used, which was a bargain. 

You should be!

I bet it does!

That is a bargain!

• Like 2

Personally, I’d love to own/play something like a higher-end Somogyi or Ryan, but that will never happen unless I win some kind of lottery*.  Ditto a LOT of guitars & other gear on my G.A.S. list.

But it makes for nice fantasies.  And it dovetails nicely with the fantasy about being skilled enough to really play them like they should be played, paired with the gumption to do so in public.

* a SERIOUS win.  Enough to not only buy the stuff but also the space and infrastructure to properly CARE for such things.  

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Definitely a specialized niche product. The guitars that are good enough for top acoustic artists like Tommy Emanuel, Clapton. and James Taylor should satisfy most people. Not knocking the brand, and it's far from being the only high end company out there, but it's prohibitively priced for all but the mega rich.

• Like 4
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!