Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Praise/Worship Bands

JamPro

Hello.  I am not familiar with the praise/worship musical life, but I understand others here are.  So I'm wondering if anyone wants to describe your musical world:

- how long have you been involved in making music for worship?  How long have you been in your current band?

- how did you get your spot in the band?

- how big is your band?  Do you play on all songs, or switch in/out depending on what is being played?

- how is it organized?  How do decisions get made -  how do disagreements get resolved?

- how is your relationship with the BL?

- do you also play with secular/non-worship musical groups?  Which do you prefer?

- do you belong to the church you play at as a parishioner?

- how often does the band practice?

- would you describe yourself as deeply religious?

- do you find your musical efforts fulfilling?

- what does it pay?

- do you use your equipment or the church's equipment?

- anything else you want to tell about your involvement with your praise/worship band?

I don't have an agenda: I'm just curious.  My last piano teacher was a 60+ yr old who was a paid MD for what s/he describes as a strict conservative church.  S/he was the only instrumental performer (organ) and directed the choir.  S/he said she didn't enjoy it much and ended up leaving the position.  I am wondering what it is like for others.

Been playing keys in church for almost 20 years.  Started out in a small assembly with just a pianist and an occasional saxophonist.  At the time I started, we were just doing stuff out of the hymnal--and a lot of those are quite challenging.  I also played organ on some stuff--church had a Hammond D-152 with a Leslie 122RV, and it was the first time anyone heard a more rock-oriented sound out of that organ.  Switched to my current church 11 years ago (small-to-medium assembly), and became the MD/worship leader three months after joining.  This assembly had a full band at the time.  In addition to myself on keys, there was another pianist, electric guitarist, bassist, occasional drummer, and acoustic guitarist, as well as two or three singers.  People have come and gone over the years, and our pianist passed away a couple years ago.

Currently, we have two small teams that alternate every week, and I play both weeks.  Team #1 is myself (leader), and two singers, one of which plays acoustic guitar.  Team #2 is an acoustic guitarist/singer (leader), another singer, and myself.  Team #1 does older, more traditional praise and worship (stuff from the early 80s to probably the mid 2000's.  Team #2 does the modern stuff.  I also oversee the A/V department, and take care of any tech issues that come up.  Volunteer position, and I love it so much, I wouldn't have it any other way.

As far as gear goes, I'm currently using my RD-1000, as the church's CP300's action is incredibly stiff, sluggish, and difficult to play.  I live in an apartment in the same building as my church, so all of my gear is stored in the storage room behind the chapel, where if we ever have anything break down, I can very easily swap something out.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

4 hours ago, JamPro said:

Hello.  I am not familiar with the praise/worship musical life, but I understand others here are.  So I'm wondering if anyone wants to describe your musical world:

- how long have you been involved in making music for worship?  How long have you been in your current band?

- how big is your band?  Do you play on all songs, or switch in/out depending on what is being played?

- how is it organized?  How do decisions get made -  how do disagreements get resolved?

- do you also play with secular/non-worship musical groups?  Which do you prefer?

- what does it pay?

- anything else you want to tell about your involvement with your praise/worship band?

I don't have an agenda: I'm just curious.  My last piano teacher was a 60+ yr old who was a paid MD for what s/he describes as a strict conservative church.  S/he was the only instrumental performer (organ) and directed the choir.  S/he said she didn't enjoy it much and ended up leaving the position.  I am wondering what it is like for others.

I have been employed professionally by churches as a musician since I was a freshman in college.  Over 20 years now.

I currently serve at 2 different churches each Sunday.  1 at 8:3) am been there about 5-6 years I think.  

The second church starts at 11am and I have been there for 8 years, but I'm still a part another previous ministry (a 3rd church).  I've been with them basically since 2007 (I don't play anymore there, but I've kinda worked over the technology/media areas of the ministry and also on the admin staff.  

Current ministry, it's just a drummer and myself.  Sometimes a bass player is there, he doesn't play a lot though... and also an older guy that plays harmonica (don't ask me LOL)

I play all the songs each Sunday (either organ or keys)

We have a choir president we does a lot of the admin work for the choir.  I'm the minister of music though so all the music things come (at least) by me.  But there is an admin team that handles things as well... Trying to keep my responsibility designated to actual music related things.

What is the BL?

I don't play secular regularly... but there was a slight hitch when I had to get a long term fill in when I was hired by a secular group as a keyboard tech.  

rehearsals are once per week or however you guys organize them at the specific ministry. 

Yes the effort are fulfilling ... sometimes MORE and sometime a lot LESS....  

I've been in situations where I've used both my equipment and also equipment that belonged to the church.  I prefer to push the church to get their own stuff. 

I didn't answer some of these questions, because it could get kinda personal.  Just didn't want to open all the way up on a forum. lol

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

3 hours ago, b3plyr said:

I would suggest you edit your post and remove the irrelevant gender specific description you gave of your last piano teacher. The same for the religious status of your teacher.

just a question, but why was the gender of the piano teacher irrelevant?  or the religion?  he's asking a religious specific question and things may vary from organization to organization...  making the type somewhat important....

just wondering what made it an issue.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

4 hours ago, b3plyr said:

I would suggest you edit your post and remove the irrelevant gender specific description you gave of your last piano teacher. The same for the religious status of your teacher.

So now biologically accurate pronouns are a PC problem?   When did that happen here?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I might be way off, but I think one of the things  the OP is perhaps asking (and referencing with his teacher) is just how "religious "  one must actively be when involved in ministry.     I'd love to comment on that but won't in respect to forum guidelines.

I've been a full-time secular musician since my late 20's, but also have simultaneously been in ministry for over 18+ years.    It's definitely about maintaining two very different relationships.  There's absolutely a ton of crossover from both camps, and like most things, lots of grey areas.  

I've served (and serve)  in Baptist, Catholic, Unity, Methodist,  and "Non-denominational" churches.  Sometimes in the same week. 

Like many who play at some Mega churches,  I've often been hired more for my secular background.

Main church gig MD on Nord/Shell  at my full time Sunday morning gig at fairly large Methodist Church, they also live-stream.   AKA "pajama church".   :).   I choose songs, create the service order, write-post charts, make tracks, run/schedule the band and singers, run planning center.   Regularly talk with Pastor and AV folks.   I’m  also responsible for all the administrative stuff of my crew..  As a knuckle dragging keyboard player, I’ve had to begrudgingly learn:  budgets, payroll, spreadsheets, HR, accounting departments, W9’s,  all the things our friends here wtih normal corporate jobs could do in their sleep.    

The  other church gig  is B3 (or A100 ,XK3 or my Mojo) depending on the changing weekly stage setup.  It's  a large Baptist church that's been on TV for a long while.  I occasionally fill in as MD/Piano there too.  They do a "Blended" service wtih full orchestra, choir, and band.  It's the most challenging thing I do because of the complexity of the charts and music.  

During Covid, while other gigs dried up,  I was actually busier due to Church's doing virtual and taped services.  I still do both, but my gigging schedule and taking (or declining) any out of town secular gigs now revolve around my full time church MD gig.  Sundays usually start at 5:30 a.m, so Saturday night gigs can be a challenge. 

Luckily I haven't confused "Uptown funk" with "This is Amazing grace" yet.  :)

The MD gig is a 5 piece contemporary  band with occasional guest strings/horns.  My favorite thing  we do there is a semi-regular "Acoustic-New grass revival " Sunday every couple of months- where it's upright bass, banjo/mando, etc . I drag out accordion, melodicas and harps.   Congregation loves those Sundays.   I'll post a couple of pics of my two main gig/rigs.   

Getting back to "hot-button" topics.  I know this awesome forum has rules about religion and politics for good reason.  This might be the time to raise the question:   I've often wondered if we need to have a sub-forum for those working  in Ministry??   When he was still at Keyboard Mag,  I had an ongoing  email dialogue with Dominic about starting this very thing because I was so clueless about  worship when I first got started.  

Jamrpo asked some great honest questions.     Along the same vein as keyboard players in cover bands, there are many  important components playing in Ministry that don't necessarily have to focus on the religious/spiritual side- and there of course other places already out there for that.

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 5.54.32 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 1.03.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 5.48.24 PM.jpg

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

12 hours ago, JamPro said:

Involved since early 1970s, on organ and piano.  Various roles over the years on keys, drums, aux percussion, FOH sound, more.  Led worship teams here and there.

Originally, people knew me as a musician and recruited me for church work.  In later years I've usually started by running sound.  Sometimes I got their attention by settling musicians' arguments about what chord went where.  At my current church I have been tapped for FOH sound, streaming sound, Keytar bass, acoustic drums, and keys.

Size ranges from four to eight.    We rotate in and out during the month.  There are one or two "full-timers," playing every week and on the payroll.  I am a volunteer. 

We have a paid worship leader / director fellow.  He's the boss, within the constraints of the pastoral staff.  Disagreements are generally resolved by someone leaving or being asked to leave.

Decent.  Fairly professional, and mutually affirming.

Yes I do;  Currently neither completely satisfies me artistically.  More info in another thread, "I gave my notice."

I am not a member, but I am a parishioner, and contribute financially as well as musically / technically.

Almost none.  As often as not, our practice is early Saturday evening -- two hours before a Saturday evening service.  Part of that is because we also play two services on Sunday.  They don't want to wear us volunteers out.

Yes.

Meh.  Let's say I believe I am doing a good thing.

- what does it pay?

For me and most others, Nada. 

The church provides a Yamaha MODx, but I prefer to bring in my Kurzweil and IEM earphones; I use the church's amplification and wireless IEM connection.

More:

Like many necessary volunteer jobs, sometimes the artistic rewards are pretty slim.  Also, worship music styles vary greatly -- from A Capella, to acoustic guitar and cahon, to 4-ish piece band, to horn band, to orchestra.  And I haven't even mentioned piano- or organ-centric music! 

I just noticed that I answered within the quote.  Oh well. 

One last thing, sneaking ever so lightly into the religion realm, it's an open secret at my church that if I had my druthers I would worship mostly with pipe organs and hymns; I play drums and drawbars and run sound because I believe that's what I was called to do.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I just posted this in another thread but I guess it’s rather suitable for this thread:

I've abandoned church 20 years ago [but] I miss going to church exactly for the music activities I’ve been involved into. Admittedly I’ve never been religious and was rather going for my parents but it’s where I started playing the piano/organ in many roles: playing the hymnals, reharmonizing them on the spot (a controversial thing that the young members loved and the elderly condemned), improvising after the sermon, playing a solo piano performances or in a small classical chamber orchestra, rehearsing and accompanying the choir, writing arrangements for the orchestra (under the supervision of the MD who was a music theory professor)… Basically anything. I learned more about music, theory, improvisation and live performance there than I’m comfortable admitting 👍🏻

Here’s an Amazing Grace solo piano arrangement I recorded back then:

https://soundcloud.com/evgeny-kumanov/amazing-grace

• Like 1

When we've discussed this in the past, it wasn't off limits to at least give at least a general description of the denomination, whether or not you were a member, and whether or not you found the work spiritually fulfilling. That's not openly discussing religion, but it is important in order to make sense of things. 

JamPro I suggest you look up some of those older threads. Quite a few of us in this forum have been involved in praise/worship, and it's been extensively discussed. But keep this thread open - we have new members, and others can update what they're doing. 

I moved in 2015 and haven't been involved since. But while doing it, I found it very rewarding - not monetarily, but otherwise. 

We have looked at two churches were I live, approximately the same size. One I have mentioned here before. The songs are all modern, very heavily produced, and my neighbor is music director. From Sunday to Sunday it sounds like they are singing the same songs but in reality they are caught up in the modern gospel notion that has a very narrow vision of music. They do sound like a record and have the same musicians every week. There are a few reserves that they use when someone misses. The mix is balanced and loud with plenty of reverb. This church is heavily focused on youth and all music is targeted at the youth. I've heard a lot of older people complain about the music and how loud it is.

The church that we settled on has a different take. The three ladies that play piano, organ and drums are there most Sundays. If the organist misses I have not seen anyone replace her. The other two do get replaced when they miss, but that does not happen very often at all. There is a big rotation of musicians playing bass, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and a Nord Stage. None of the musicians sing and there is a wide range in ages. Quite a few are multiple instrumentalists. The instrument they are assigned to may change from week to week. They also have three singers in front that rotate, and one pasture is music director. I've noticed that they don't call it main pasture, music director and youth director. They just say they have multiple pastures. The music at this church is much more varied. It ranges from very modern to very old hymns. One thing I don't like is other than piano, the instruments are mixed very soft. I'm thinking that only the pianist and organist is paid. I may offer my services as a substitute drummer. I hate playing piano in church. It feels too much like a recital and triggers my stage fright.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page