Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alan Parsons Project

22 hours ago, BMD said:

Any recommendations?

I'm an APP virgin.

It would probably make sense to start at the beginning, and move through them chronologically to hear how the music develops over time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Brad Kaenel said:

If you end up digging APP, then definitely also give a listen to Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" -- an absolutely gorgeous, delicious slice of prog cheese, on the same shelf:

Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds"

Yes, I already have that. It's excellent. I'm a big fan of Yes and Rush, too

1 hour ago, Anderton said:

I like Yes,but a lot of that is Chris Squire's amazing bass playing. 

Can't argue with that. Currently on holiday in the Cotswolds with wife and dog. Lovely neck of the woods!

I love the Cotswolds!!! Maybe with covid becoming (somewhat) less lethal I'll finally get to go to Europe and visit friends again.

Chris Squire trivia: A friend of mine did a custom-built bass for Chris Squire. I got to play it right after it was made, and loved the look and feel. But I wasn't a big fan of the sound. Squire ultimately decided not to buy the bass, and the luthier asked if I wanted to buy it. I jumped at the chance, got it for a great price, and figured I could always process it to get something like the sound I wanted. But then I found out that the pickups weren't wired correctly. So I rewired them, and it ended up sounding as good as it looks and feels. I still have the strings Chris Squire played on somewhere around here. 

I felt kind of guilty that Chris Squire never got the bass because of a wiring error, but all's fair in love, war, and basses. Besides, I'm still alive, so it's still being appreciated :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Anderton said:

I love the Cotswolds!!! Maybe with covid becoming (somewhat) less lethal I'll finally get to go to Europe and visit friends again.

Chris Squire trivia: A friend of mine did a custom-built bass for Chris Squire. I got to play it right after it was made, and loved the look and feel. But I wasn't a big fan of the sound. Squire ultimately decided not to buy the bass, and the luthier asked if I wanted to buy it. I jumped at the chance, got it for a great price, and figured I could always process it to get something like the sound I wanted. But then I found out that the pickups weren't wired correctly. So I rewired them, and it ended up sounding as good as it looks and feels. I still have the strings Chris Squire played on somewhere around here. 

I felt kind of guilty that Chris Squire never got the bass because of a wiring error, but all's fair in love, war, and basses. Besides, I'm still alive, so it's still being appreciated :)

That's a great story! Back on topic, I seem to recall watching a YouTube video of you hosting a round table-type discussion and Alan Parsons was one of the 'knights'. Can't remember what the discussion was about, though

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 12:10 AM, BMD said:

That's a great story! Back on topic, I seem to recall watching a YouTube video of you hosting a round table-type discussion and Alan Parsons was one of the 'knights'. Can't remember what the discussion was about, though

Roundtable: Stanley Clarke, Lenny White, Alan Parsons, George Duke, Brian Hardgroove, Craig Anderton. Sadly, George Duke passed away that August. It's a pretty freewheeling discussion, it was quite spontaneous.

• Thanks 1