Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's Hear It! Your Favorite Synth Patches

• 2 weeks later...

Messing around in my studio.  I don't often layer piano with other patches, but this one is really inspiring.  Kurzweil piano (the old 1000PX) layered with a celeste I dialed up on my OB-X8, playing Saga "No Regrets".  No effects.  Not exact (playing from memory), mistakes included, I'm human dammit.

• Like 1
  • Cool 2

On 12/8/2023 at 10:00 PM, The Real MC said:

Messing around in my studio.  I don't often layer piano with other patches, but this one is really inspiring.  Kurzweil piano (the old 1000PX) layered with a celeste I dialed up on my OB-X8...

Nice studio and sweet sound you got @The Real MC

I just happened to also be programming a layered AP last week and got a nice 80's/90's ballad sound. I'm a sucker for these type of sound and can never seem to get enough variations of them. 😆

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2023 at 4:45 PM, David Emm said:

...Really? There's been a version of it in every one I've touched. Its so iconic, they can't leave it out....

You were right David. I just came across the "Fanta Bell" sample in my Super-JV, and checking old user manuals confirmed that the sample was also in the "non-Super" JVs (JV80, 90, 1000 etc).

Roland dulled it with a thick layer of other samples in their ROM patches to the point where the body and punch of the U-20 "Fanta Bell" was all gone. Turning off those extra layers brought the patch much closer to the U-20 version.

FTW! … Native Digital Dance.  

Maybe you had to be there.  When I heard the D-50 in 1987 I had to have it.  Eric Persing is a genius.

Layering the D-50 with TX synths was glorious.  I still have that D-50 but these days I use the D-05 if I want my D-50 sound library. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

That patch was actually used on a lot of recordings.  :)   

Often you didn't use all the partials or hold notes long enough to let the patch run its full course.   I don't recall ever using it on a job though.

Here is some tunes.  LOL

• Wow! 1

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

21 hours ago, AROIOS said:

You were right David. I just came across the "Fanta Bell" sample in my Super-JV, and checking old user manuals confirmed that the sample was also in the "non-Super" JVs (JV80, 90, 1000 etc).
Roland dulled it with a thick layer of other samples in their ROM patches to the point where the body and punch of the U-20 "Fanta Bell" was all gone. Turning off those extra layers brought the patch much closer to the U-20 version.

"Fantasia" was inevitable once that form of layering appeared. Its a meaningful moment in synthesis. Previously, you could only make that kind of sound happen with serious studio time & gear. Jon Anderson multi-tracked his arse off making "Olias of Sunhillow," whose main "big string sound" is now easily had within just one of any number of synths. It would be considered an eye-roller to use "Fantasia" now, but its example paved the way to a lot of what we take for granted now. Thanks, Eric!  

• Like 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

20 hours ago, CEB said:

...Layering the D-50 with TX synths was glorious...

Eric pulled off some magic with that tiny ROM. "Soundtrack" still brings me chills to this day. 😃

Speaking of laying D-50 with TX, this song has D-50 and DX7 written all over it.