Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Let's Hear It! Your Favorite Synth Patches

AROIOS

^ I love these old-fashioned pulse and/or saw leads that are coming from a Minimoog or an Odyssey. Although it's just a simple pulse or a saw (or a combination of both in various octave shifts), those synths never managed to produce the pure math waves, the filter circuit introduced drive and the envelopes had very specific curves, so the result is very lifelike, sometimes reminiscent of a clarinet or an oboe.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Stefan011 said:

I love some evelving bright analog leads from 70s fusion records.

For example a la Zawinul circa 2:30

Somehow I am not able to recreate them. It might be a time to add some analog gear to live rig.

This one is a triangle lead. Joe probably used a minimoog or arp2600 for that sound. Lyle Mays and Herbie Hancock are also masters of these types of leads.

Here's my attempt at it, cheers!

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Here are some synth sounds from the Yamaha Genos. Two of the examples include style backing. Btw, a Yamaha Genos2 is in the pipeline which should include more and even better sounds. PS: I am really interested in the new Montage M and the Genos2. The Montage M should be the bee's knees when it comes to synth sounds although my Genos isn't too shabby, in my humble opinion. Word has it the Montage M will be launched on October 9th first thing in the morning. I'm not sure where the source of that information came from but apparently, it's a reliable source. We'll see. 😉 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Keyboardplayer said:

Here are some synth sounds from the Yamaha Genos.

Tyros and Genos are monster machines with tons of fun packed inside. The "Cool" and "SuperArticulation" patches are very well programmed and often leave their Roland/Korg counterparts in dust. One of my geeky fun used to be watching Mark Harrison and Peter Baartman demoing those machines. They truly make those boards sing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

1989, but still holds up today, I think.    Russ Ferrante.

ScreenShot2023-09-30at6_56_38PM.thumb.png.5c6e07910fa39ef9a75ee3edfb1f7bb0.png

That's state of the art in 1989 as far as synth pads are concerned.

It took me almost a half minute to recognize Ivan Lins' melody. I was just thinking about this song (the version he did with Djavan) earlier today. Feels like another episode of synchronicity in my little Matrix. 😃

From 0:05 on. Can blow a hole through a wall. Beyond amazing!

• Like 5

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Joe Zawinul's approach to synthesis was Mount Everest to me. Patches are less significant than how they're played musically. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

15 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Joe Zawinul's approach to synthesis was Mount Everest to me. Patches are less significant than how they're played musically. 😎

Same here! Couldn’t agree more.    Some great additional listening is Scott Kinsey, as I’m sure you’re aware who did some producing for Joe.   I love how Joe used his vocal with the Korg Pepe in the syndicate.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

12 hours ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Same here! Couldn’t agree more.    Some great additional listening is Scott Kinsey, as I’m sure you’re aware who did some producing for Joe.   I love how Joe used his vocal with the Korg Pepe in the syndicate.  

Yep. Scott Kinsey (Tribal Tech) does a great job of channeling Joe Z.

Every sound Joe Z cooked up meant something to the tune.

Zawinul's sounds never became iconic like [insert song patch here] but he mined diamonds from every KB he touched.

Just today, I spent some time checking out a DSI Prophet Rev 2. Not a huge fan of its sound or the patches in it. But, I could program sounds that *I* would find useful musically. Straight JZ vibes.😉😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I had the pleasure of watching Joe Zawinul live in Sofia in 1998 with his syndicate. I remember at the time the promoters decided to advertise him by a quote from him saying how Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock didn’t play synths properly. That was a very poor taste to market a concert but since it is a genuine quote I was naturally triggered because Chick and Herbie are my heroes, not Zawinul. Needless to point out that he didn’t play synths better than any of them IMO 😛 And he doesn’t have any memorable synth patch. Chick is very famous for the FM-lead and Herbie for the ARP bass on Chameleon. But admittedly I’m much more after Lyle’s soundscapes ❤️

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CyberGene said:

I was naturally triggered because Chick and Herbie are my heroes, not Zawinul. Needless to point out that he didn’t play synths better than any of them IMO 😛 And he doesn’t have any memorable synth patch. Chick is very famous for the FM-lead and Herbie for the ARP bass on Chameleon. But admittedly I’m much more after Lyle’s soundscapes ❤️

I'm inclined to believe Lyle Mays synth work was heavily inspired by Joe Zawinul moreso than Herbie or Chick.😎

PD

5 minutes ago, ProfD said:

I'm inclined to believe Lyle Mays synth work was heavily inspired by Joe Zawinul moreso than Herbie or Chick

Quite possible 😀 Still, he’s absolutely unique in the jazz world and I wouldn’t even call him a jazz keyboardist. While Joe, Chick and Herbie are all more or less within the jazz/fusion universe, Lyle is closer to being a modern classical composer, rather than straight ahead jazz improviser. 

Personally, I think they are all great with different approaches. 

Joe Z is often about phrasing, while Chick and Herbie are often more about note choice. But that's an over simplification. Joe Z sometimes does some angular mathematical things while Chick and Herbie can be lyrical. Lyle's work on Are You Going With Me is still inspiring, especially how he uses a slow LFO to make the pitch organic. Herbie's vocoder phrasing on I Thought It Was You was mind altering when I first heard it.

It helps to be open to multiple approaches. Newer tools like comb filters and wavetables (not to mention physical modeling) can help create the "acoustic instrument-like" phrasing that so many of us are drawn to. And we have great effects now. I love the aforementioned Valhalla Shimmer and I also love Liquidsonics Seventh Heaven for placing a synth in a believable acoustic space.

I feel a bit guilty posting this again, but will do some new things I promise ...

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

1 hour ago, CyberGene said:

That’s impressive! How does it work?

The lead sound? First we begin with a physical model of a brass instrument in Reaktor, which functions like an oscillator. We shift the formants in the brass model (just like adjusting the pulse width), to make the character more woodwindy. The model has the ability to create rasp (just like fm-ing a regular oscillator).

Second, we run this oscillator through a static flanger to make it sound even reedier. This flanger is functioning as a comb-filter to emphasize peaks and valleys.

Third, we run it through a smidge of overdrive and reverb.

The expression comes from performing with the 1) breath pressure in the model (oscillator) 2) rasp in the model (oscillator),  3) wet/dry mix in the flanger (filter) and 4) pitch for vibrato and bends. These four expressions are mapped to the four dimensions of the Touché.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Tusker said:

Personally, I think they are all great with different approaches. 

Joe Z is often about phrasing, while Chick and Herbie are often more about note choice. But that's an over simplification. Joe Z sometimes does some angular mathematical things while Chick and Herbie can be lyrical. Lyle's work on Are You Going With Me is still inspiring, especially how he uses a slow LFO to make the pitch organic. Herbie's vocoder phrasing on I Thought It Was You was mind altering when I first heard it.

Right.

IMO, again, approach to phrasing, note choice and lyricism are more important than the sound.

The aforementioned musicians got maximum mileage out of the synths available to them at the time.

Those synths were limited compared to today's offerings.

Yet, also IMO, most synth demos nowadays are wack as azz h8ll because they are devoid of musicality.

No amount of waveforms, wavetables, physical modeling, modulation routings, LFOs, synth parameters, etc., will make *better*  music.

It will always begin and end with how an instrument/sound is played.😎

• Like 2

PD

5 hours ago, ProfD said:

Right.

IMO, again, approach to phrasing, note choice and lyricism are more important than the sound.

The aforementioned musicians got maximum mileage out of the synths available to them at the time.

Those synths were limited compared to today's offerings.

Yet, also IMO, most synth demos nowadays are wack as azz h8ll because they are devoid of musicality.

No amount of waveforms, wavetables, physical modeling, modulation routings, LFOs, synth parameters, etc., will make *better*  music.

It will always begin and end with how an instrument/sound is played.😎

Agree 100%.

While I agree 100% that musicality is far more important than sound, this is a thread about sounds so let's enjoy this thread for what it is. Herbie, Chick, Joe and Lyle could have played brilliantly with only the timbres with which they grew up. But they extended their sound palettes didn't they? They fooled around with new sounds, trying to use them as fresh vehicles for fresh musical ideas. We can do that also.

1 hour ago, Tusker said:

While I agree 100% that musicality is far more important than sound, this is a thread about sounds so let's enjoy this thread for what it is.

Absolutely. 

It definitely wasn't my intent to derail the thread.

Pardon the detour. Back to regularly scheduled programming...😎

• Cool 1

PD

This was from a concert I was blown away with Richard Elliot's simple EWI patch (local club in my town).    It is the only Tower of Power composition never to make it onto one of their records.  See the first couple minutes of the following clip:

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

9 hours ago, CyberGene said:

I had the pleasure of watching Joe Zawinul live in Sofia in 1998 with his syndicate. I remember at the time the promoters decided to advertise him by a quote from him saying how Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock didn’t play synths properly. That was a very poor taste to market a concert but since it is a genuine quote I was naturally triggered because Chick and Herbie are my heroes, not Zawinul. Needless to point out that he didn’t play synths better than any of them IMO 😛 And he doesn’t have any memorable synth patch. Chick is very famous for the FM-lead and Herbie for the ARP bass on Chameleon. But admittedly I’m much more after Lyle’s soundscapes ❤️

This may be heresy, but I don't associate Chick or Herbie with anything other than composition and playing.   Chick was all stock minimoog and totally stock FM.    

Joe was much more about synthesis and the textures he was able to invent.   We all know about those unbelievable Weather Report standards, but here's a good example of Joe at his finest that Chick or Herbie would never approach in terms of synthesis.

• Like 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

For Lyle Mays classic lead patch, this is a good tutorial on how to achieve it.   I think my OB6 is a little better but I need to remind myself how I did it 😆.

This guy plays a beautiful example of it in "Close to Home" at the end.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3