Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Uninformed prediction that used gear prices will start dropping

Like many of us, I track a lot of used gear outlets.  Anecdotally, I'm noticing a modest uptick in people selling keyboards... especially mid-tier keyboards ($500-$900 Yamahas, Rolands, Kawais, etc.).  I am making a bold prediction that this is the beginning of people selling off their pandemic impulse purchases ("I'm going to learn to play piano during lockdown!").  Combine that with some loosening of supply chains and some recession fears... I'm calling my shot... used gear prices are going to start trending down!

Hmmmm.  I thought about this as well.   The most desirable used boards like everything else were retaining a great deal of their value when discretionary spending was high.   I believe inflation and interest rates rising is causing a cutback on budgets for non essential items.  This does not bode well for the MI industry.   $329 blowout of the Korg opsix direct from manufacturer - an unpopular model that they over estimated demand for?  Slowing sales in general? Or a little of both.   The fed wants to get inflation under control by making borrowed money less palatable, crunching budgets and reducing demand.  It seems to be working.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I use guitar center for used purchases, and I've seen an unusual range in prices--they usually are pretty consistent-- and indeed more keyboards coming in.  Granted I'm only doing a few specific searches.  One of them is for "Nord" and I almost pulled the trigger on a $1299 Electro 6 73 in "excellent" condition (I believe this was mistakenly priced, someone got a deal!).  I am looking for a similar good deal on a Stage 3--one came in two days ago, wasn't a slam dunk but a good price, and it was gone the next day.

In my case I have the best rig I have ever had, with a great synth that can't get into the action unless I bring 3 keyboards, and yet I'm still looking around :P    The "problem" is that I have gig money building up and if I don't spend it, it's going to go toward new blinds or something...

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

I regularly check Guitar Center's website. As of this posting there are 28 used Moog Grandmother's listed for sale. :ohmy:

I looked at Guitar Center general used keyboard stock. I am not at all impressed with the pricing. Seems most used keyboards/synths are only about 8% under the price of a NEW one.

Certainly a used Yamaha MX88 shouldn't be up around $880. I bought a used MOX8 (newer, and better features than MX) for $850 about 6 years ago on Craigslist. I am sure better deals can be found elsewhere.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

16 minutes ago, synthizen2 said:

I looked at Guitar Center general used keyboard stock. I am not at all impressed with the pricing. Seems most used keyboards/synths are only about 8% under the price of a NEW one.

Certainly a used Yamaha MX88 shouldn't be up around $880. I bought a used MOX8 (newer, and better features than MX) for $850 about 6 years ago on Craigslist. I am sure better deals can be found elsewhere.

Keep watching. Fed officials forecast the federal funds rate will end 2022 at a range of 3.25% to 3.5%and next year at close to 4%.  Experts say rates are likely to hover around 5% come  end of 2023.   Easy money dries up, demand weakens, prices come down.  

GC isn't necessarily the cheapest, but with patience you can sometimes get a really good deal.

The reason I buy from them is the 45-day no questions asked return policy, and all I have to do is drive down and drop it off at my local store.  I can do some gigs with the keyboard to see how it fares in the real world.   Caveat, you might eat the shipping unless something is actually wrong with the gear if you return it, but their shipping isn't very high.

• Like 2

GC's ignorance (or lack of experience) on some items makes them worth a look.  The things I'm usually looking for with them aren't mainstream. (e.g. Accordions, stands, cases etc.), They're also very good for things that are over saturated - like midi controllers.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

34 minutes ago, RABid said:

I'm afraid that I have already waited too late to sell my Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1UW+ MKII. A few months ago they were selling for $4000. Now you can find them just under 2K.

The folks who managed to sell their house for $1m or whatever last year and didn’t have to buy one right away made out pretty good!  Haha.  But a lot of people are pulling their houses off the market this week.  They’re not like to get their asking price now.  

I managed to shift a Kronos and Crumar Seven at nearly a break-even return after owning them both for 3+ years, so yeah can't see that return on investment continuing...