Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me downsize my rig

As the OP, I can perhaps provide a short update.

Firstly, I haven’t bought any new hardware yet. GAS has taught me that it is always good to delay any purchase at least a little.

In the meantime, I have really been enjoying exploring some iPad apps. I already own Ravenscroft and iFretless. Have been demo-ing Korg module and Neo Soul Keys. Very impressed. I also see Hammond B3-x, but the price has put me off so far.

Anyway, despite searching and experimenting, I have not worked the answer to these two questions…

1. Is there a host type app that allows you to load in various iOS soft synths (Ravenscroft, Neo Soul etc.) and set up your controller to make program changes. That is, could I use a basic keyboard like my Korg X5, Alesis QS6.1 or Rhodes 760 and use the buttons/switches on the synth to switch between, say Ravenscroft and Neo Soul?

I have Korg Plugkey to hook it all up.

Alternatively, is there a good iPad or iPhone mount that affixes to a keyboard X stand, available in the UK?

2. Can two midi keyboards use different sounds on one iOS device? That is, could I put Ravenscroft on channel 1 and Neo Soul on channel 2 and then put my Alesis on 1 and my Korg on 2? And use a single Korg plugkey and single IOS device? If not, is there an alternative method, short of using two IOS devices and two Plugkeys? Perhaps I need a Plugkey alternative with two midi ins?

Thanks!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

On 7/29/2022 at 1:52 AM, The Piano Man said:

Hello all,

I know there have been a few of these threads but here goes…

Currently I use

- 88 key stage piano (an old Technics model)

- Korg X5dr module

- Peavey keyboard amp

- DI to FOH

I have already made one upgrade. I have an EV ZXa1 monitor which will replace the keyboard amp. Better sound in all respects. 

All I typically need is

1 -  Decent bright acoustic piano sounds

2 - A wurly and rhodes 

3 - An upright bass patch

I would like to move on from the 88 key piano and module setup to a single board (73 or 76 keys) with all the required sounds. Semi weighted keys are fine though I do prefer the piano style keys to the synth style keys. 

Crucially, I need a board that can layer two sounds in the bottom half of a split. For the type of music I do, I need piano and bass layered in the bottom half, and a single piano sound in the top half.

Extra wish would be an internal power supply with C14 socket and a max weight of around 35lbs (15kg or so)

Any thoughts? So far, the boards that I think cover the above needs are: 

Yamaha CP73

Nord Piano 5 73 (pricey!!!)

Nord Electro 6d 73

Korg Nautilus 73 (not sure about the keyboard action)

Anything I have missed out?

Numa piano X. If you need more sounds. Just add an iPad with Korg Module.  Done. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

7 minutes ago, The Piano Man said:

1. Is there a host type app that allows you to load in various iOS soft synths (Ravenscroft, Neo Soul etc.) and set up your controller to make program changes. That is, could I use a basic keyboard like my Korg X5, Alesis QS6.1 or Rhodes 760 and use the buttons/switches on the synth to switch between, say Ravenscroft and Neo Soul?

Good question. It's the kind of thing I would expect Keystage and Camelot Pro to do (call up their saved sound sets via a MIDI Program Change sent from am attached keyboard), I'd be surprised if they didn't... but I haven't tried that myself yet.

Alternatively, is there a good iPad or iPhone mount that affixes to a keyboard X stand, available in the UK?

X-stands are tough to securely mount things to, because AFAIK, all X-stand arms are cylindrical, pretty much eliminating all the things that simply clamp. "Square" supports give you more options here. But maybe someone will know of something. My inclination would be to put a small flip-up stand right on the keyboard, velcro'd in place. Something like this, for example: https://amzn.to/3OMiujT

2. Can two midi keyboards use different sounds on one iOS device? That is, could I put Ravenscroft on channel 1 and Neo Soul on channel 2 and then put my Alesis on 1 and my Korg on 2? And use a single Korg plugkey and single IOS device? If not, is there an alternative method, short of using two IOS devices and two Plugkeys? Perhaps I need a Plugkey alternative with two midi ins?

Yes you can do this, on a single iOS device. You do need some way to physically attach your two controlling keyboards. Simplest is a MIDI Merge box, which takes the 5-pin MIDI OUT from both of your keyboards, and combines them to a single 5-pin connection to your PlugKey. A Plugkey alternative with two MIDI IN connections isn't so easy to find, especially if you want the PlugKey's audio out function. I think iConnectivity makes some, but their current line looks like a bit of overkill for that purpose. Maybe you could still locate the iConnectMIDI 2+ which I think would do what you want.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

4 hours ago, ImproKeys said:

Just use an app like AUM and connect multiple boards via a powered USB hub. 

Not quite that simple for the task at hand. The boards don't have USB, so you'd also need a couple of MIDI-to-USB adapters, which makes this not only probably a pricier way to go than the MIDI Merge box approach, but adds the nuisance of an additional wall wart, and and does not replace the 1/4" audio out being provided by the PlugKey you'd be eliminating. (As for AUM vs. the Keystage/Camelot apps I mentioned, I guess that would be personal preference, assuming they all indeed have the ability to have their stored setups changed externally via MIDI Program Change.)

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

On 8/1/2022 at 12:10 PM, The Piano Man said:

See https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/182957-iphone-mount-for-round-tube-keyboard-stands