Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai ES110

So this keyboard is in my budget. I intend to use it for practice and gigs (solo piano gigs, jazz, and Latin bands also) 

I'd really prefer a 73 or 76 (hammer, weighted)  to save stage space, but I can't find anything in my price range. 

I've watched a bunch of comparison videos between the Roland FP30. Yamaha P 125/121 and the Kawai ES110. 

Honestly, it's a bit hard for me to hear a whole lot of difference so I thought I go with whatever I could find cheapest. 

Someone is selling the Kawai ES110 for $350, seems like a good price, no? 

I've heard the Kawai has the lightest touch/feel, which is good for me too. I'd love just a really good, full, warm sound sounding acoustic, not a bright rock sound. Add a good Rhodes style EP and I'd be even more happy. Organs, DX 7 sounds, synth, don't interest me. 

Used Yamaha P125 and Roland FP30 come up used a lot around here, not many Kawai's though... 

Good choice, or should I just keep  waiting/ saving?   

Either are good choices in their price range. You’ll prefer the Kawai ES110 for its action, in my opinion.  But these are all very commonly carried and stocked digital pianos at every dealer.   So please, go play them even if you buy it elsewhere.  Also, there is an ES120 out, so compare specs to ES110 to see if there’s anything in the refresh which you’d find useful (though I understand you’re shopping second hand).  

https://kawaius.com/news/kawai-es-120-digital-piano/

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Dang, I was thinking of selling my ES100…got a great deal on it new from Kraft on close-out many years ago. I enjoy the few times that it gets set up, but really don’t have room for it in the studio so stays in storage most of the time. Was going to ask $400 plus shipping in original box. Perhaps $300 is more realistic.

When buying used, be sure to get the sustain pedal that came supplied from the factory. Also the music rest is nice to have. And inspect the power supply for any exposed or frayed wires. I briefly gigged with mine and had to get a second power supply because of the delicate wires.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenner13 said:

Was going to ask $400 plus shipping in original box. Perhaps $300 is more realistic.

19 hours ago, Morrissey said:

$350 is a good price in this crazy inflation environment. 

I think you definitely could ask (and get $400).  I'm no expert but I was opining for the OP that $350 is a good used price for a buyer these days.  A bargain even!  Many used sellers are asking $500+ for the ES110 and similar Yamaha, Roland, etc.  

• Like 1

The one and only ES110 that I have played had a cr4p action that was very, very noisy and clacked like a pair of castanets.

I had a Yamaha P121 for a couple of years, a pretty good board with great piano sounds for its price and it has 73 keys, its compact and lightweight.

• Like 1

Feck u

46 minutes ago, Biggles said:

The one and only ES110 that I have played had a cr4p action that was very, very noisy and clacked like a pair of castanets.

I had a Yamaha P121 for a couple of years, a pretty good board with great piano sounds for its price and it has 73 keys, its compact and lightweight.

I hope that's not the norm?!? Was it always like that or develop over time???   I have an appointment to see the ES110 in a few hours..... 

4 minutes ago, Montunoman 2 said:

I hope that's not the norm?!? Was it always like that or develop over time???   I have an appointment to see the ES110 in a few hours..... 

Not in my experience, but Ive only played in the shop and on students' pianos.  But as with all keyboards, get your hands on one and play up and down the action before you take out the wallet.  

• Like 1

Tastes vary on actions, but I've found the ES110 to be by far the most satisfying action I've experienced in a sub $1k board, and it's also been more roadworthy than I dared to hope.  I have one stashed with a mid-level touring act that's done several months of riding around stood up on one end (inside a good ATA case) bouncing up and down inside a jam-packed single axle trailer; no issues yet.  I keep a spare PSU for it in case the chintzy DC wire ever gives out, but it hasn't yet.  I also have one at home, and I just bought a third one on closeout.  I would certainly snap up a used one at $350.

Disclaimer: I don't use the internal sounds, it's purely a controller for Nord piano sounds for me.

• Like 1

I bought it and ended up paying $300. It turns out that the owner couldn't find the music rest, so she lowered the price and gave me a soft case. It did have the pedal - which is very nice. 

No strange noises coming from the keys (which feel REALLY good, btw) 

There're  only 2 acoustic piano sounds I find usable though, and the Rhodes just OK. But for $300 it will do fine- especially for the kind of gigs I do. No need to bring a Nord for what these places pay! 

I would've loved a Yamaha p 121 but none are available out here. I was tempted by a good price on a used P 515, but it's a bit on the heavy side. 

Anyways, I think this Kawai E110 should be fine, especially if I can use some sort of module/ alternative sound sources, so I start looking into that.  

• Like 3

Yeah, I agree.  P515, CP88 - great boards for sound, feel and looks on gigs that matter.  But for lightweight, low cost with less compromise than some other choices - ES110, P121 get the job done.   Your amplification choice will help a lot.  Lots of discussion here on that topic.  For light weight, sounds good on pianos, and can be loud - there’s an EV PA monitor AnotherScott has brought to my attention on more than one occasion.  Maybe he’ll pop in and refresh my memory.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Montunoman 2 said:

Anyways, I think this Kawai E110 should be fine, especially if I can use some sort of module/ alternative sound sources, so I start looking into that.  

I would recommend a Quiccosound mi.1 II (Bluetooth MIDI adapter) and an iPad - a killer combination.

• Like 1

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

11 hours ago, Montunoman 2 said:

I bought it and ended up paying $300.

There're  only 2 acoustic piano sounds I find usable though,

Nice buy, you won't regret it!

Make sure to check the manual and experiment with the various tonal adjustments available (reverb, brilliance, damper resonance, voicing, fall-back and damper noises...).

They can change the character of the pianos quite a bit, and you'll probably end up with something you like more than the factory settings, at least that was how it worked for me!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Short of an iPad or Laptop - there’s a module called V3 Grand Piano XXL that can supplement a keyboard controller.  I see one used on Reverb for $412. 

Thanks for the recommendation. The ES 110 doesn’t have a screen, so would this module be compatible? Or does the V3 have a screen? I guess I’m trying to say, I don’t really get how you navigate and find sounds on this module. 

56 minutes ago, Montunoman 2 said:

Thanks for the recommendation. The ES 110 doesn’t have a screen, so would this module be compatible? Or does the V3 have a screen? I guess I’m trying to say, I don’t really get how you navigate and find sounds on this module. 

Hook up is simple.  5pin midi out on kawai to midi in on v3.  
I am not sure if the Kawai has any program change send capability.  Maybe someone can investigate.   But the V3 does have an app for iOS/Android where you can select sounds and edit parameters.  

• Like 1

You totally lucked out- I’ve got the ES110 and the ES920 and prefer the very light touch expressiveness of the ES110!  And at 26 lbs it’s easy to schleep.  It’s biggest downfalls are the onboard speakers are lousy, and whatever clarity the pianos have don’t come thru on the onboard speakers.  The ES120 has addressed both of these, but it’s $900 now- a $200 price jump from the ES110.  I ended up using white gaffers tape above and below the keybed- there’s a lot of button presses combined with key presses to memorize!  

Speaking of which, if you didn’t get the owners manual it’s worth looking into.  It included some pieces of paper that summarize the button/key presses you have to do to program it

If you ever want to upgrade from the excellent keybed and have more tones/editing capability/a screen/much better speakers/etc., the ES520 is only 32 pounds and has an ‘upgraded’ keybed from the ES110.

• Like 1

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I’d love to see how put you chest notes on the your keyboard Randy! 

Im not liking the key and button pressing at all. Also I wish it had a screen. 

For the price, I can’t complain. It has what I need, a couple of the sounds are good, and the key feel is exquisite! 

Yeah, right?  I feel like I can fly on that keybed, it captures the softest and loudest with ease.  For those of us that prefer a lighter action, the ES110 is the best!

As for the notes I put above and below the keybed- it looks rather unsightly, esp my first effort at it, which was writing directly on white tape that’s about an inch wide.  My second effort, typing it out and then attaching, would have looked much better but I never finished, had to move and had no time.  Those cheat sheets that come with the owners manual should be good enough for you, sounds like you’ll mostly be using it as a controller-

That’s why the ES520 is such a brilliant board- serious upgrades all around, and you still get a version of the compact hammer action the ES110 uses, but it adds a 3d sensor and is said to be a bit more subdued, so I don’t know if it’d be as fun as the keybed on the ES110.

• Like 1

The action on the ES-110 is definitely an improvement over the ES-100. 

If you did decide to get into a laptop iPad or something like that as your sound source, the ES110 gives you a decent action in a lightweight design.  Everything else you can handle from the screen on the computing device.  Do you need it?  It depends on your gig.   If you just need decent AP and a Rhodes sound I probably wouldn’t bother.   If you need splits and layers, fx, set lists, etc.  then it’s worth it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 16251 said:

It is.

Cool, glad to hear, am sorely tempted to sell my ES920 and get the ES520.  For most people that wouldn’t make sense, but given my love for the ES110 keybed and really digging the significant upgrades of the ES520/920, I would do it.  

There’s probably a fair # of ES520 owners that bought it ‘cause of price but would gladly upgrade at this point.  Trade the boards, give me some cash, and everyone’s happy!

• Like 1