Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steak Sandwich

tcWBh3Z.jpg

Slices of pan-fried NY Strip on toasted ciabatta roll with mayo, cheddar, sautéed onions and baby spinach.  

Served with sliced avocado and Campari tomatoes, seasoned with lemon-infused olive oil, tarragon vinegar, and Tajin spice blend.

Forgive the paper plate & plastic cutlery- our hot water is STILL out, and we’re trying to minimize the amount of dishes I have to wash by hand…

• Love 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

That looks ridiculously good, Danny… :drool:

I’m from Philly, so I’m a huge cheesesteak devotee…but I also have a deep love for the traditional steak sandwich.  I’m a sucker for one on garlic bread.

Lemon-infused olive oil?  :idk:  I have garlic-infused and truffle-infused, but never seen lemon.  Gotta get me some of that.

dB

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

One of the best steak sandwiches I’ve EVER had- a “Lost recipe” in its own right- was made by a place in Austin called McClesky’s (Sp?).  The dudes I was hanging out with at that time had been getting stuff from a local sub shop for “Dudes Night” dinners, until one guy came in talking about this new place that had opened just down the road from where we hung out.  We didn’t even get takeout.  We made the pilgrimage to eat there in person to maximize the hedonistic bliss.

I don’t know their particular spice blend, but I know they marinated their meat overnight in red wine.  And the cut they used?  Moderately thin-cut ribeye!  Not cut into slices either- you got the whole slab-o-meat steak on your sandwich.  Toppings: all kinds of cooked stuff, plus a small salad bar of traditional raw toppings and sauces.  If Guy Fieri had been doing Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives in the early 1990s, he’d have loved this place.  So we went there…and never went anywhere else for months at a time

At least, not until a couple years down the road when the owner decided to sell out to someone else, and the new owners didn’t buy his recipes.  McClesky’s food quality took a nosedive, and they were gone within a year.

• Sad 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 8:59 PM, Dannyalcatraz said:

don’t know their particular spice blend, but I know they marinated their meat overnight in red wine.

Interesting idea…

On 7/22/2022 at 8:59 PM, Dannyalcatraz said:

And the cut they used?  Moderately thin-cut ribeye!  

No surprise there - that’s the best cut to use for standard cheesesteaks.

dB

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:30 AM, Dannyalcatraz said:

Slices of pan-fried NY Strip on toasted ciabatta roll with mayo, cheddar, sautéed onions and baby spinach.  

Served with sliced avocado and Campari tomatoes, seasoned with lemon-infused olive oil, tarragon vinegar, and Tajin spice blend.

Forgive the paper plate & plastic cutlery- our hot water is STILL out, and we’re trying to minimize the amount of dishes I have to wash by hand…

Sub garlic for the onion (or maaaybe nicely caramelized shallots, maaaybe), and I'm in...

• Love 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

5 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Sub garlic for the onion (or maaaybe nicely caramelized shallots, maaaybe), and I'm in...

Now we’re talking. 🤗 

Garlic marinaded rib-eye…be still my heart.  Bonus for the shallots, extra points for caramelizing them.  

dB

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:06 AM, Caevan O’Shite said:

If I were doing this with garlic instead of onion, I wouldn’t be using pan-sautéed garlic.  I mean, that’s good, but…

Every once in a while, I go get big jars of pre-peeled garlic from the Asian grocery stores.  Among the many things I do with it is make a big batch of oven roasted whole garlic cloves.

I start with a big flat, oven safe pot- I have a large flat-sided tart pan that I usually use, but a pie pan or a cast iron skillet will also do the trick just fine.  I clean the woody tips off of my cloves, then fill the pan in a single flat layer.  Over this, I pour a mix of melted unsalted butter (and/or a good olive oil), a bit of lemon juice (with zest, if you have fresh) and dry white wine, enough to coat the pan and immerse but not cover the cloves.  I season them with black pepper, cayenne, paprika and parsley (tarragon, oregano, and basil may also be used, depending on your preferences).  Sometimes chives get invited to the party.  Then I cook them in the oven at 350degF until they start to brown a bit.

The result: sweet whole cloves, nicely seasoned and soft enough to spread like butter, suspended in a sauce that goes great on pasta, steak, and toasted bread, to name just a few.  Bonus: it’s freezeable, so you can make big batches of it and store it away to use later.  (If I do that, I freeze it in small 1-3 serving packets.)

4 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Every once in a while, I go get big jars of pre-peeled garlic from the Asian grocery stores.  Among the many things I do with it is make a big batch of oven roasted whole garlic cloves.

I start with a big flat, oven safe pot- I have a large flat-sided tart pan that I usually use, but a pie pan or a cast iron skillet will also do the trick just fine.  I clean the woody tips off of my cloves, then fill the pan in a single flat layer.  Over this, I pour a mix of melted unsalted butter (and/or a good olive oil)

Same here!

4 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

...a bit of lemon juice (with zest, if you have fresh) and dry white wine, enough to coat the pan and immerse but not cover the cloves.  I season them with black pepper, cayenne, paprika and parsley (tarragon, oregano, and basil may also be used, depending on your preferences).  Sometimes chives get invited to the party.  Then I cook them in the oven at 350degF until they start to brown a bit.

The result: sweet whole cloves, nicely seasoned and soft enough to spread like butter, suspended in a sauce that goes great on pasta, steak, and toasted bread, to name just a few.  Bonus: it’s freezeable, so you can make big batches of it and store it away to use later.  (If I do that, I freeze it in small 1-3 serving packets.)

I will have to try those ideas! I have always only done a simple roasted garlic; and never enough- it's just too tempting to start eating it like candy... !!

Elizabeth has been known to occasionally set a bowl of roasted garlic on the table with a meal, treating it rather like a more typical 'vegetable'... and I thoroughly grok and concur!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _