Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using the alternate outputs on your keyboard!!!

@Julius D Majestic Studios how would you set levels of timbres within an aggregated track, if you couldn’t split out the timbres to separate outputs (rhetorical question)?

Further, do you really want multiple timbres adding to the levels of a track (another rhetorical question)?

I guess you could just track timbre by timbre and sync start times like Julius said…but who has time for that?

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

On 7/9/2022 at 4:58 PM, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

Are you guys using the secondary outputs on your keyboard?  If so, in what way has it benefited you?  

The biggest benefit I've found for myself is running a stereo synth to a talkbox. I love stereo effects and polyphonic voice spread, but talkbox is a mono effect. The only thing I don't like about my Korg Prologue is that it doesn't have an alternate output that I could route just the talkbox patch to. That would save me from having to change patches *and* turn the talkbox on and off.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I use separate outputs on my Kurzweil for a couple of things:

• send KB3 organ out dry to an external Leslie (Motion Sound, Trek pedal to 122, Neo Vent, GSI Burn)
  • send Bass patch to a bass amp separately
  • send KB3 w/ its internal leslie to separate out to balance the organ patch with the non-organ.  all non-organ goes into a mixer channel and organ/leslie into another mixer channel which I can then adjust volume, set EQ to match the cabinet I'm using and add reverb as necessary.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

11 hours ago, DovJ said:

@Julius D Majestic Studios how would you set levels of timbres within an aggregated track, if you couldn’t split out the timbres to separate outputs (rhetorical question)?

Further, do you really want multiple timbres adding to the levels of a track (another rhetorical question)?

I guess you could just track timbre by timbre and sync start times like Julius said…but who has time for that?

Wait a minute:

Refresh me on which comment you are referring to so I can try to answer correctly.  Lol 

Even though they are rhetorical, I feel like I should still respond.🤣🤣🤣

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

On 7/11/2022 at 4:23 PM, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

Yeah man and it would be a pain trying to line up start and stop times for each track in a daw BY HAND.....🤦🏾‍♂️

Drummer playing key bass???  How lol!!?

@Julius D Majestic Studiosthis one. 

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

9 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

I use separate outputs on my Kurzweil for a couple of things:

• send KB3 organ out dry to an external Leslie (Motion Sound, Trek pedal to 122, Neo Vent, GSI Burn)
  • send Bass patch to a bass amp separately
  • send KB3 w/ its internal leslie to separate out to balance the organ patch with the non-organ.  all non-organ goes into a mixer channel and organ/leslie into another mixer channel which I can then adjust volume, set EQ to match the cabinet I'm using and add reverb as necessary.

Nice man.  You def are using them in a nice way! 

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

16 hours ago, DovJ said:

You would mix them BEFORE they left the keyboard.  So the track in the keyboard would come out as a "bounced" 2 track... Ready for mastering if possible.  

(Hope I'm understanding your question)

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

@Julius D Majestic Studiosof course you could mix in the synth, but with multiple outputs, you can separate timbres and melody, rhythm or chord lines each into it’s own DAW tracks and process them separately.

• Like 1

I have used the B outputs on the Kurzweil Forte to send the KB3 organ to a real Leslie (after turning off the internal Leslie effect of course) as well as using them to send a bass guitar sound to a bass amp for more realism. I have also used the individual outs on my Andromeda to pan the sound in both stereo and 5.1 surround on the first THEO album. Super fun!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I have used the B outputs on the Kurzweil Forte to send the KB3 organ to a real Leslie (after turning off the internal Leslie effect of course) as well as using them to send a bass guitar sound to a bass amp for more realism. I have also used the individual outs on my Andromeda to pan the sound in both stereo and 5.1 surround on the first THEO album. Super fun!

How is the forte? Overall compared to other top end flagships? (Maybe a topic for another thread, but since we are here😊)

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

23 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

How is the forte? Overall compared to other top end flagships? (Maybe a topic for another thread, but since we are here😊)

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Just wanted to drop this bit of info for everyone reading and participating in this thread...

The Roland Integra 7 module has 8 EIGHT outputs. The main L/R PLUS 3 sets of stereo or 6 mono... That's kinda CRAZY!!!

The XV family (5080/3080 for sure) have the same set up.  So they been on this tip for ever.  

But the Korg Triton Rack has 6. Main L/R PLUS 2 sets of stereo or 4 mono. 

While the Motif Racks all only have 4.  Main L/R PLUS 1 set of stereo or 2 mono...

Roland is killing them in this area.  

Especially considering the sonic potential of the Integra... Having 8 puts is kinda insane.  Consider the drum samples and set ups that are in there... 8 mono channels for use as a drum module.  Crazy. 

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

When I played out regularly, I strived to carry the least amount of gear possible, but I still routed sounds to multiple outputs so I could adjust levels of multitimbral parts and layers with a mixer instead of a fader box or menu diving.

• Like 1

"For instance" is not proof.

The Roland Integra 7 module has 8 EIGHT outputs. The main L/R PLUS 3 sets of stereo or 6 mono... That's kinda CRAZY!!!

The Integra still has that many outs (which used to be pretty standard on big multitimbral synths) because you can place each sound in a surround plane. It needs 5+1 or 7+1 to do so (not sure about the +1...maybe the Integra doesn't sum the bass frequencies to a sub out). It's really underrated in that regard although I admit it's a relative edge case.

"For instance" is not proof.

59 minutes ago, zeronyne said:

The Integra still has that many outs (which used to be pretty standard on big multitimbral synths) because you can place each sound in a surround plane. It needs 5+1 or 7+1 to do so (not sure about the +1...maybe the Integra doesn't sum the bass frequencies to a sub out). It's really underrated in that regard although I admit it's a relative edge case.

That's cool.  But Roland was even doing it on their old rack synths.  

What's relative edge case mean?

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

On 7/14/2022 at 11:48 AM, Julius D Majestic Studios said:

Forte pros:

- Fantastic epianos

- Best strings in a Rompler

- Very good acoustic pianos

- VAST is, well, vast. There are synthesis things you can’t do on any other platform.

- LED ladders on faders to show where your patch levels are

- Very deep MIDI controller - entrance/exit values, tons of parameters and options

Cons:

- Half of the polyphony is dedicated to the KB3 (fixed in the K2700)

- KB3 is OK, not great

- They removed the fader flip option that the earlier K series and the PC3 had where you could go between organ drawbars and faders with a touch of a button (grr)

- VAST is slow to program and daunting - much more challenging to do basic stuff

- The control architecture of the keyboard is pretty slow - changing patches can sometimes bring artifacts for a second until everything moves

- Polyphony doesn’t go as far as on some other keyboards (better in the K2700 where you can use all 256 voices for general sounds)

• Like 1