Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations for getting audio out of a iPad?

Adding that a solution like the above adapter has the advantage of simplicity. Plug it in, and it works.

Audio interfaces add much more complexity and potential for problems.

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

7 hours ago, DovJ said:

Cheap, small and very decent sounding solution:

USB C to 3.5mm Audio Adapter with... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08TX251NY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I also own Apple’s USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. This one sounds way better. 

Looks like the USB-C port is for charging only and doesn't support data transfer - although this could be another common Amazon "wrong answer." How would a "specific software program" transform a power-only USB port into a data-carrying port?

I would trust a 3rd party USB-C dongle over a 3rd-party lightning dongle though, as USB-C is not an proprietary Apple interface.

But if it's power-only, how would you connect a keyboard to your iPad? Bluetooth midi is the only other way I can think of, and that has major disadvantages over a direct connection imo.

image.png.aa215c1cecb4afd3184498bd9324c84c.png

I haven't used software synths much live.  When I have, I've used a male<->male miniplug cable to connect my phone's headphone jack to my keyboard's aux in, using the keyboard as a primitive mixer.  So my experience using headphone jacks in a band situation is minimal.

But like everyone I've got decades of experience headphone jacks with headphones.  I plug and unplug multiple times a day.  I keep my phone in my pocket where I'm sure the plug gets pushed around a lot, especially when I sit down.  I've dropped phones so they've been left dangling by the headphone cord, or so they've yanked the earbuds out of my ears.  The only failures I can remember have been in the cable itself, usually where it connects to the plug, and usually only after months or years of daily abuse.  May be wise to bring an extra cable.  But overall they seem more reliable than a lot of connectors I've used (certainly way better than USB-C).

I remember the audio output from the first laptop I bought--it was not great.  Among other things, you could hear every hard drive seek.  But that was over 20 years ago.  Everything I've used since then has had quieter, higher-quality output.

At a minimum I'd try that solution first and figure out what's wrong with it before moving on to something more complicated.

My rig: iPad Pro (2022); plug  USB type c Adapter (with charging slot and type B slot) into iPad Type C charging port. Powered USB hub type B cable is plugged into Adapter type B slot. Gear plugged into powered USB hub: Roland A49, StudioLogic SL73, Audiobox Go audio interface. Left and right outs from the audiobox go into the PA system. I use Keystage 2.1 app to manage and organize all my iPad instrument apps for live playing. Virtual volume sliders for each instrument are easy to use within Keystage. With this setup I don't need an external mixer or keyboard dedicated amp.

On 7/8/2022 at 3:58 PM, Reezekeys said:

Looks like the USB-C port is for charging only and doesn't support data transfer - although this could be another common Amazon "wrong answer." How would a "specific software program" transform a power-only USB port into a data-carrying port?

I would trust a 3rd party USB-C dongle over a 3rd-party lightning dongle though, as USB-C is not an proprietary Apple interface.

But if it's power-only, how would you connect a keyboard to your iPad? Bluetooth midi is the only other way I can think of, and that has major disadvantages over a direct connection imo.

image.png.aa215c1cecb4afd3184498bd9324c84c.png

@Reezekeys you are correct. I actually tried accessing my BeatBuddy SD Card just now, and it doesn’t work. 

I only use this dongle when playing from my two CME XKey Air controller keyboards, which I do use Bluetooth MIDI for. This solution is only for plunking out musical ideas while traveling - I would never use this for performing.

Didn’t think before posting…

However, there are many other iPad-compatible dongles that will do this extremely well. An example:

ADG 9-in-1 100W GaN Charger USB-C Docking Station, QC 3.0 PD USB-C Hub, Desktop Charging Station for MacBook/Pro/Air, Surface/Pro, Laptops(4 USB, 4K HDMI, Ethernet, Micro SD/SD, Audio&Mic) https://a.co/d/igxxDgX

This is a relatively expensive device, but highly functional. I have had great results with it as my primary iPad interface to my audio rig. There are many others that will provide USB-C PD charging, USB hub and an audio output for a lot less money.

Incidentally, the ADG device has been the interface for charging my iPad Pro 2018connecting it to hardwired Ethernet, linking to my “real” audio interface (Behringer XR18 mixer) and when needed, the Behringer X Touch mixing control surface. The ADG 9-in-1 is an industrial grade tool for iPads.

An acoustically decent home studio full of hand-picked gear that I love to play and record with!

Depending on which iPad, the Alesis IO Dock is cool.  

But I use a USB c to 1/8 female adapter, then I either connect a stereo Y cable to it or headphones.  Etc....

YouTube - My YouTube Channel (please subscribe for music tech info)

https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - majesticstudios_jld

Former Keyboard Tech -

PRINCE

Cassandra O'Neal 

KING (We Are King)

Majestic Studios - Audio Recording & Mixing Engineer

I guess I'm the latest member of the "don't trust 3rd party dongles" club.

Yes my 3rd party charging camera adapter has gone wonky. It worked up until the summer heat came on. Now it's become unreliable. Symptoms are glitches like buffers are overflowing. 

Apple brand connector ordered.

FunMachine.