Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

spacer.png

Some light painting added during this long exposure night photo in Borrego Springs, California. These sculptures were created by Ricardo Breceda. I photographed this with my trusty Pentax K-1 and a 28-105mm lens.

• Love 1

20 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Great shot!

Is that an impending asteroid-meteor there... ?

That is, believe it or not, simply a star trail. The moon washed out the other star trails, so they are rather faint, but that one came in big and bold. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenElevenShadows said:

That is, believe it or not, simply a star trail. The moon washed out the other star trails, so they are rather faint, but that one came in big and bold. 

Oh, I knew that. I was just riffin' on the dinosaurs theme. Thanks, though!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

1 hour ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

Oh, I knew that. I was just riffin' on the dinosaurs theme. Thanks, though!

Oh, ha! Got it! I really got faked out because you were the second person to ask me that!! Maybe I got faked out twice!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Oh, ha! Got it! I really got faked out because you were the second person to ask me that!! Maybe I got faked out twice!

The trials and tribulations of taking great night photos of clashing dinosaurs... !

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Long ago and far away my grandparents lived in the Mojave Desert - Yucca Valley to be specific. 

We visited them a few times, place has it's own character but I never saw any of the cool stuff Ken takes photos of, maybe a run down used to be occupied area with a beat up old truck but no dead airplanes or statues/sculptures. 

More recently (within the last 8 years or so), I went to visit my sister when she lived in Palm Springs. highlight there is the tram up to the top of the mountain. Awesome but not that weird. The trees at the top were pretty weird but no dinosaurs. Ken keeps finding the cool stuff!

I guess I'm just out of touch. We probably have some places up here that used to be really weird (lots of weirdos live here!!!) but now they could be hidden in the blackberries. 

I did play at a baby shower last Sunday, out in the farthest southern reaches of Bellingham's city limits and the event took place at a group of home-made buildings that are filled with an abundance of peculiar and essentially useless items to the point that the entire area becomes an artistic statement on pointless but bizarre thiings that are all around us constantly. 

Or, as I say here and there "A grotesque mockery of all that is sacred." 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

11 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Long ago and far away my grandparents lived in the Mojave Desert - Yucca Valley to be specific. 

We visited them a few times, place has it's own character but I never saw any of the cool stuff Ken takes photos of, maybe a run down used to be occupied area with a beat up old truck but no dead airplanes or statues/sculptures. 

More recently (within the last 8 years or so), I went to visit my sister when she lived in Palm Springs. highlight there is the tram up to the top of the mountain. Awesome but not that weird. The trees at the top were pretty weird but no dinosaurs. Ken keeps finding the cool stuff!

Many of the locations - dinosaurs aside - are very difficult to find. I spend hours and hours finding them. This is a Photofocus article on how I find them

Within about an half an hour of Yucca Valley are some amazing places for abandoned things, weird artwork, and more. And within Joshua Tree National Park are some amazing sights, both natural and human-made abandoned stuff. Just weird things, some of it left over from miners, others from weirdo loners.

It's not easy. It takes a lot of effort and a sort of sense for where they might be. And sometimes even then, you come up empty-handed because the buildings have been vandalized, burned, razed, destroyed, buried in sand, or whatever. Things that are abandoned don't last long in the desert any more, mostly because of humans.

I also do it because I am working on history/night photography books which cover abandoned locations. This gives me extra impetus to go find these places! I am working on a third and fourth book right now. After that, I'm not sure. I may take a break. But I am on the hook with the publisher for two more. :D 

My hat's off to you Ken!

It is an impressive body of work as it stands.

Will you stay with the desert or try other locations?

Freaky stuff scattered here and there throughout California. Link is to a place under new ownership. I saw it long ago before they bought it, a strange place. Just for one...

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/35182

On 6/9/2022 at 10:36 PM, KuruPrionz said:

My hat's off to you Ken!

It is an impressive body of work as it stands.

Will you stay with the desert or try other locations?

Freaky stuff scattered here and there throughout California. Link is to a place under new ownership. I saw it long ago before they bought it, a strange place. Just for one...

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/35182

The desert is easiest because they're so often have dark skies (except anywhere near Las Vegas, haha!), but anywhere that's fun and doesn't have tons of light pollution is great.

Roadside America is a great site, and yeah, great find on Chowchilla. That giant orange stand looks great too!

Are you going to start looking for freakier stuff? I mean, day or night, they make great subjects! Unusual, weird, interesting, misshapen, human-nade, nature-made, whatever.

8 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

The desert is easiest because they're so often have dark skies (except anywhere near Las Vegas, haha!), but anywhere that's fun and doesn't have tons of light pollution is great.

Roadside America is a great site, and yeah, great find on Chowchilla. That giant orange stand looks great too!

Are you going to start looking for freakier stuff? I mean, day or night, they make great subjects! Unusual, weird, interesting, misshapen, human-nade, nature-made, whatever.

Up here, blackberries eat cars and houses! There could be some amazing stuff nearby but it just looks like a blackberry bush. 

I haven't scouted any unusual or interesting locations, I accidently stumbled into one last Sunday but not sure if I want to document it or even use it for a backdrop. 

Time will tell, as always. 

• Like 2