Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sitting on wheels

I’m playing some gigs this summer starting 6-18 with another act.  It’s a seated gig.  My preference would be to play this L-shape setup.   Considering some sort of seat with wheels. Has anyone done this?  First question is whether I can do this without tipping my seat over during the gig?  That will suck.   

Any seat suggestions?  

6B0F181B-227D-4FC4-8453-D9AFDB164F31.jpeg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have a couple of stools that were made for the medical profession that I found at thrift stores for under $10. 

My dentist saw one of them and said his cost him almost $400 and it's the same stool. 

I still see things like that here and there and they are still cheap. I've had the one my dentist looked at for over 20 years and it still is in nice condition. 

The wheels are nice. Carpet can be a concern, especially high pile. A low pile indoor/outdoor carpet runner rolled up in your vehicle might be nice to have and if you don't need it, not really in the way. 

I've never felt like I was going to lose it on these stools, get the good stuff and you are done with that. 

There are lots of bargain stools with crappy wheels and plastic bases, buy nice or buy twice but do look for bargains - they are out there. 

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I see some stools I like the looks of but max height is about 1 inch too short for me with the the monolith on it’s shortest height setting.  This seat has a perfect height range.  I’ll look for a while longer. 

SUPERJARE Drafting Chair with Back, Adjustable Foot Rest Rolling Stool, Multi-Purpose Office Desk Chair, Thick Seat Cushion for Home Bar Kitchen Shop - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082F6Z98J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2XEJW2N8MEH9BFX1GGVG

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Our local Habitat for Humanity thrift shop has incredible furniture for stupid low prices. All used and often things move quickly. If you have one nearby it's worth checking into. 

I've done well at Goodwill, Starvation Army, Value Village, etc. Things come and go, inventory changes rapidly. If you find something really nice that works for you, buy it or lose it. 

That's been my experience anyway and Bellingham isn't a large city, just around 100,000 people. I did well in Fresno CA too. Seek and ye shall find...

Just be sure the wheels lock, or maybe bring a carpet sample. The problem isn't so much the little bit of movement while you play--which can even be sort of fun--as the fact that in lots of situations on wooden stages you can't keep the chair from rolling in whatever direction the floor leans. It seems fine but as soon as you have both feet on a pedal you end up fighting Newtonian physics in real time.

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Caveat emptor. The wheels in ElmerJFudd's photo look exactly the same as the ones in my computer chair: they break very easily. They have a metal pivot that attaches to the chair and the rest is non-solid plastic. They are rated at 50 or 60kg each, but as soon as you lean the metal deforms the plastic and start getting loose. Eventually they crack. I've been through 2 sets of 5 wheels each already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr -G- said:

Caveat emptor. The wheels in ElmerJFudd's photo look exactly the same as the ones in my computer chair: they break very easily. They have a metal pivot that attaches to the chair and the rest is non-solid plastic. They are rated at 50 or 60kg each, but as soon as you lean the metal deforms the plastic and start getting loose. Eventually they crack. I've been through 2 sets of 5 wheels each already.

This is why I mention finding high quality stuff at low prices, the new stuff at bargain prices is just crap. It looks good, until it doesn't. 

On 5/28/2022 at 1:40 PM, Docbop said:

LOL   seeing the title I flashed back to a friends band a Rock-Country band and the one guitarist doubled on pedal steel.  For his seat on pedal steel he had an actual racing mag wheel and tire.   

I had a 50s era drummer tell me he used a John Deere tractor seat.  Big fella.