Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elk Audio low latency rehearsal system goes live

https://elk.live

“System requirements:

Requirements

To use Elk LIVE you need to connect the Elk Bridge to your internet router with an ethernet cable and have a minimum up & download speed of 10 Mbps, and a ping not higher than 10 ms. This goes for all users in a session.”

”The Bridge is powered by the award-winning Elk Audio OS and delivers unmatched performance with less than 1 ms internal roundtrip. This combined with our unique latency perception tools cuts out all overhead latency, leaving you to play with just the latency of your internet connection.”

“The latency you'll get from the internet depends on distance and your specific internet connection, but in general, you get about 100 km/millisecond (62 miles) on an average fiber connection (Approx 50% of what you can technically get from a pure fiber connection).

This means that playing with someone 1000 km (621 miles) away will give you an overall latency of 10 ms. About the same latency, you will get from being 3 meters apart in the same room.”

I believe the bridge costs $360 and the subscription is $16 a month. 

• Like 3

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Nice idea but good luck with the 10 ms latency.  My ping today is 18 ms to my ISP's first router. I was hoping Starlink would help in this area but AFAICT, it is claiming 30 ms maximum.

2 hours ago, ChoppedHam said:

Nice idea but good luck with the 10 ms latency.  My ping today is 18 ms to my ISP's first router. I was hoping Starlink would help in this area but AFAICT, it is claiming 30 ms maximum.

Are you using ethernet to your router?  It’s not going to work well over wifi.   

1 hour ago, ChoppedHam said:

That's the number by logging in to my asus router and using it's network tools.

I have to test ping from my router over ethernet as well.  I have Verizon, but I am convinced they throttle what I’m paying for during peak hours.  From what I’ve read and friends I’ve spoken with,  I believe the US lags behind Europe and Australia when it comes to speed, pricing and access.  

10 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I have to test ping from my router over ethernet as well.  I have Verizon, but I am convinced they throttle what I’m paying for during peak hours.  From what I’ve read and friends I’ve spoken with,  I believe the US lags behind Europe and Australia when it comes to speed, pricing and access.  

Interesting... At home, not in a big city, I have a (for today's standards here in Spain) medium speed connection. It is 300Mb/s symmetrical (using optical fibre up to my home). Now 1Gb/s is very common here. Is it so different in the USA?

We pay $150/month for 60gb of “25mbps” satellite internet (which actually averages around 800kbps) up here...that’s the best available. And it’s capped at 60gb, after which point it drops to an unspecified low-priority speed, which ironically is about the same as the “priority” speed anyways.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

AT&T just upgraded my rehearsal studio to fiber for "free", it's been a $50/mo DSL package so very nice.  Ping is now stable at 11ms when hardwired to router, so -- maybe worth giving it a go?

Note: I think I would find the "musician at 3 meter distance" standard bothersome to my ears.  If, say, the drummer was that far away from me, there'd be little chance of us getting into a good, tight groove.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

4 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Yes.  It costs me $40+ a month for 150/150mbs over fibre in the suburbs around NYC.   It’s MUCH more expensive 350/350.   Forget about 1gbs.  

Dude, I'm in NYC suburbs.  I'm paying $40 for FIOS 300mbps up and down.  I speed test often and I get that on the router.  On the house wifi (mesh but running Wifi 5), I top off about 225.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

29 minutes ago, Mills Dude said:

Dude, I'm in NYC suburbs.  I'm paying $40 for FIOS 300mbps up and down.  I speed test often and I get that on the router.  On the house wifi (mesh but running Wifi 5), I top off about 225.

I've been on Verizon FIOS since they first brought it to the neighborhood, a long time now.  At that time they were stealing everyone from Optimum because their speeds were much better than the cable provider could match.  It was easy for them, but they were pissing around about speeds and plans, 50/50 if I remember right.  They'd offer new and better plans to people getting the service than they would offer long time customers.  To get a decent price you'd have to leave them and then come back again.  Always with the contracts and the TV packages.  When I told them to get rid of the TV and phone line, they offered me $40 a month for 100/100.  Then I moved, and was technically a new customer again.  They offered me 150/150 for $40 a month, but it required them to change something on the pole they needed to charge me for.   Fine.  Whatever.  Then I told them they could keep their router, I'll get my own.  Current plans are 300/300 with some streaming apps.  Now I have to call in to them again and ask why they never offer better speed or a new plan to me.  I always have to call in and bitch about what they are offering new customers.   Time to call in again, wish me luck.  

My current deal with FIOS started a little over 2 years ago after I moved into a new house.  So maybe there was some "new" customer deal.  Was on Optimum before at my old house, paying like $60/month for 100mbps, FIOS not available so they had me by the short hairs.  My experience with optimum was it was very hard to get anywhere close to advertised speeds.  I'm in Suffern area, right over the NJ border if that means anything to you.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

3 minutes ago, Mills Dude said:

Was on Optimum before at my old house, paying like $60/month for 100mbps, FIOS not available so they had me by the short hairs.  My experience with optimum was it was very hard to get anywhere close to advertised speeds.  I'm in Suffern area, right over the NJ border if that means anything to you.

Ditto about Optimum, except they keep raising the rates. They don't care, because like where you were, they're the only game in town, no FIOS or anything else here. And at this point, I suspect that any area that doesn't have FIOS is never going to get it. But if they ever come here, as much as I don't like Verizon, I'll switch in an instant, because Optimum is the worst.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

6 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

Ditto about Optimum, except they keep raising the rates. They don't care, because like where you were, they're the only game in town, no FIOS or anything else here. And at this point, I suspect that any area that doesn't have FIOS is never going to get it. But if they ever come here, as much as I don't like Verizon, I'll switch in an instant, because Optimum is the worst.

Yea, I think its all baked in at this point.  Verizon is probably not making any more capital improvements in their network, unless there's an area of new construction.  

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

A latency measurement to your ISP will be the minimum.  It will go up as it is routed to the ultimate destination.  For example, I ran a speed test using Ookla which also reports the ping time and checked against a few different servers, all in my state.  Though all had nearly the same throughput (limited by my I$P), the ping time varied from 18 to 46 ms.

Verizon users.  Around the house, what does Ookla Speed Test vs. Verizon Speed Test report?

On my iPhone with Ooka - 93/94 ping of 19ms 

Verizon Speed Test - 13/97  9ms 

Same device.

Bizarre.  

300mbps FIOS connection

From the router:  308.2/341.1   Ping: 7ms

On my main PC (windows 10) over wifi with Linksys mesh.  My workstation is not central in the house, so Wifi may not be optimal

Ookla (Using MS Store Speedtest APP not speedtest.net),   184.29/196.97   Ping: 7ms

Verizon Speedtest (web app):  173/252  8ms latency

On my mobile - Galaxy S9, standing in the middle of the house

Ookla (from the app, not the website):   289/273  Ping: 8ms

Verizon: 190/336  17ms latency

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

3 minutes ago, Mills Dude said:

300mbps FIOS connection

From the router:  308.2/341.1   Ping: 7ms

On my main PC (windows 10) over wifi with Linksys mesh.  My workstation is not central in the house, so Wifi may not be optimal

Ookla (Using MS Store Speedtest APP not speedtest.net),   184.29/196.97   Ping: 7ms

Verizon Speedtest (web app):  173/252  8ms latency

On my mobile - Galaxy S9, standing in the middle of the house

Ookla (from the app, not the website):   289/273  Ping: 8ms

Verizon: 190/336  17ms latency

This is excellent, and much better than Verizon seems able or willing to provide me.  A call needs to be made.  

On 5/25/2022 at 11:05 AM, ElmerJFudd said:

Yes.  It costs me $40+ a month for 150/150mbs over fibre in the suburbs around NYC.   It’s MUCH more expensive 350/350.   Forget about 1gbs

WTF? I pay Xfinity $118 a month for 80/10 service (they claim it's 100/10 but I've never seen 100mbs)! It was an older bundle with basic TV channels (2-13!) and HBO, that's it. They don't offer this anymore.

I just checked and the cheapest plan I can switch to would include a bunch of TV channels I don't want (we stream with an ATV, don't use the cable box), along with 300/10 service (a little lopsided on the u/l vs d/l speeds, you think?!). To get that and keep HBO would be $171/month, $53/month more than what we pay now! When I search for an internet-only plan, there is nothing. I guess I'm staying with my current plan. Who's your ISP? $40 sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

2 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

I only pay them for the Internet connection with Verizon.  I get no television, no movie channels or phone services, no voicemail, no equipment rental.  that’s why the fee is so low.  

Cablevision charges about $90 for that where I am, and for less speed than that. No competition.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)