Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Fantom piano as software?

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Fantom piano sound (X Ultimate Grand, found on the Fantom boards and also on older RD digipiano series) has been converted and turned into a VST for using in a DAW? Sforzando / Soundfont / Kontakt or anything similar. I don't mean the SRX-11 piano that was offered on the expansion cards, but the other one that was flagship with the Fantom series a decade ago.

Did Roland put them in the Roland Cloud or 5080 VST perhaps? Demos on the Integra don't seem to have it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have that piano multisample in wav format:

click here

You'll need a Google account and push the button to ask viewing permission then I'll confirm it to you in an email and then you can download.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

8 hours ago, TaurusT said:

the Fantom piano sound (X Ultimate Grand, found on the Fantom boards and also on older RD digipiano series)

I assume you mean the patch "Ultimate Grand" that was on Fantom X? I think that's the piano in the Zenology expansion EXZ002 Stage Piano 2. 

(That piano sound was not in the XV-5080 that pre-dated the Fantom-X, so would also not be in any XV-5080 sound set.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

33 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

I assume you mean the patch "Ultimate Grand" that was on Fantom X? I think that's the piano in the Zenology expansion EXZ002 Stage Piano 2.

That's where that patch is in the Fantom (2019) expansion - EXZ002 Stage Piano 2.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

How much piano will you be playing? If you just have a solid jones for that particular piano, that's understandable. I have a few myself! I ask because while I have some nice pianos from different places, one of your best bets (IMO) would be the Modartt Pianoteq physical modeler. The starter package is $149 and provides you with TWO excellent grands, which you can choose from their library. Several manufacturers give it their seal of approval, incl. Steinway and Bechstein. That's impressive.

Physical modeling takes a fraction of the space required by WAV files, so its a fair bet overall. The one caveat: the sound CAN feel too clean for some ears, but you can dig in while playing and it delivers handsomely. PM is a method you should know of, regardless. Check it out:     

https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq

“The joy of dogs is that they free us of our own undignified existence,
   our self-consciousness and inhibitions;
    our self-imposed hindrances to pleasure;
     our unwillingness to be embarrassed, exposed, or vulnerable.”
        ~ Alexandra Horowitz

On 5/19/2022 at 2:22 PM, marczellm said:

I have that piano multisample in wav format:

click here

You'll need a Google account and push the button to ask viewing permission then I'll confirm it to you in an email and then you can download.

Thanks for the responses. While wav samples are interesting, I do not have a Juno-G to import/map them to. Mapping would need to be in Kontakt or another sampler (*.jpe to *.nki). I do not have any scripting experience unfortunately.

On 5/19/2022 at 6:11 PM, Mighty Motif Max said:

That's where that patch is in the Fantom (2019) expansion - EXZ002 Stage Piano 2.

Thanks, I'll check this out as well and see what's possible.

On 5/20/2022 at 9:17 PM, David Emm said:

How much piano will you be playing? If you just have a solid jones for that particular piano, that's understandable. I have a few myself! I ask because while I have some nice pianos from different places, one of your best bets (IMO) would be the Modartt Pianoteq physical modeler. The starter package is $149 and provides you with TWO excellent grands, which you can choose from their library. Several manufacturers give it their seal of approval, incl. Steinway and Bechstein. That's impressive.

Physical modeling takes a fraction of the space required by WAV files, so its a fair bet overall. The one caveat: the sound CAN feel too clean for some ears, but you can dig in while playing and it delivers handsomely. PM is a method you should know of, regardless. Check it out:     

https://www.modartt.com/pianoteq

Yes I do know about Pianoteq PM, thanks for the recommendation. While I like it, and own a plethora of other piano VSTs, the Ultimate Grand has specific characteristics that are unique which is what I'm currently looking for.

1 hour ago, TaurusT said:

Mapping would need to be in Kontakt or another sampler (*.jpe to *.nki). I do not have any scripting experience unfortunately.

I have no experience with  software samplers but I seem to recall that if the samples are named in some recognizable pattern, the software can automatically import it without a mapping file? Does anyone know more about this? I think having the wavs are pretty close to what you're looking for.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

4 hours ago, TaurusT said:

On 5/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, Mighty Motif Max said:

Thanks, I'll check this out as well and see what's possible.

You asked for where you could find the sound for use as a VST in a DAW, e.g. whether it was in Roland Cloud. As I said, I think it's the one in Zenology expansion "EXZ002 Stage Piano 2" - that's the Roland Cloud version for use in a DAW.  Max was adding that the same expansion is also available for Fantom. But assuming you don't have a Fantom, it's the Zenology version you want to check out. If it's indeed the right sound, it is the exact answer to your question.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Do you use a Mac and have Logic (or know someone who does)? Their autosampler plug might be useful. It turns any sound source into a Logic sampler instrument (.exs). I did it with my old NI New York piano to use on my iPad. I assume (but not 100% sure) that it will work with a hardware keyboard. You set up parameters for the intervals you want to sample and the boundaries for the velocity layers, click start, then go get a sandwich. It takes a while but you wind up with an .exs sampler file and all samples good to go. The program will also look for & set loops for you but I didn't do that in my case. I used a free program called EXS2SFZ to convert to sfz. I had to do a little work with the envelopes but the results, in my case, were really good - good enough to ditch my laptop for smaller local gigs and bring only the iPad.

18 minutes ago, kalpajazz said:

I think EXZ002 Stage Piano 2 corresponds to the "Superior Grand" samples

Note that example #1 is called Ultimate Grand...

https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_exz002_stage_piano_2/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

... Max was adding that the same expansion is also available for Fantom. But assuming you don't have a Fantom, it's the Zenology version you want to check out. If it's indeed the right sound, it is the exact answer to your question.

My point was actually that the Stage Piano 2 expansion for either was probably going to have it. I.e. the fact that that's where the Ultimate Grand is in the 2019 Fantom increases the likelihood that it's also in the Zenology expansion of the same name. Especially since Roland uses similar names across different products a lot of the time (i.e. look at Axial's SRX-based soundsets for various boards).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

8 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

My point was actually that the Stage Piano 2 expansion for either was probably going to have it. I.e. the fact that that's where the Ultimate Grand is in the 2019 Fantom increases the likelihood that it's also in the Zenology expansion of the same name. 

Yes, if it's in the Fantom expansion, it's in the Zenology expansion, and vice versa... they are the same expansion. You can see that in the chart below, where each expansion is listed with which platforms it is available for.

https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/rc_zenology/support_documents/319ed642-8e1d-4b0b-a6ec-5d730f30cd8d/#zenology_ME