Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Software Deals

Acoustic Samples and VI Labs continue their summer sale at 30% off until the end of August. Not a huge discount, but for some countries at least it mitigates the USD currency conversion. 😉

Here for the gear.

2 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

It is an affliction, no doubt. I have way too many plugins

I made some positive changes yesterday. None of my IK Multimedia plugins worked anymore. They would load but do nothing. 

I went to their website. They changed their structuring but somehow failed to let me know. 

They now require $10 every 180 days to keep their plugins up and running. Taking into account that I'd paid a fair price for their plugins in the first place, I decided I'd trim down some of my excess and just delete everything IK. It took a while to get rid of all of it. 

Looking at the list of their plugins, I realized that I used only a small percentage of them and not often enough to justify having them. 

There are lots of options. I'm on a Mac and the OS includes most of the plugins you'd ever want or need and quite a few that are not useful to me at all (removed from my DAW long ago). 

I don't think I'll miss any of it. I'm not done trimming the excess but it was a good start!

Where specifically did you find this on their site? I am a fairly heavy IK user (Amplitube, B-3X, Miroslav, Sunset Studio Reverb, some T-Racks effects plugins) so this would be a problem, but I'm not seeing anything about a subscription model - or on their forum for that matter. They have long had a requirement to pay $10 every 180 days if you want to be able to re-download applications or sound data/presets - I ran into this issue with a MemoryMoog synth I had gotten from them in a promo but never installed. If I wanted to have the sound data, I would need to pay them $10 to re-activate the download server. But what you're describing sounds like a much different issue, and one that would make me dump IK permanently.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

3 hours ago, bill5 said:

Interesting, not familiar with that. Also for those looking for an FM synth, Dexed is a DX7 emulation synth which is highly regarded from what I can tell and free to boot - tbh I'm not a fan as I hate the UI, but that's me. 

From what I understand FM Lab is FM on steroids taking it beyond FM-X and allowing for customized algorithms that are only predefined in the original HW synths including the Montage.  it also has great UI capabilities to control it.  It may include SY capabilities as well but I haven’t delved into it. 

I’m hoping the new Montage expands on FM-X since they own the cool FM stuff happening with Steinberg.  

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

45 minutes ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

Where specifically did you find this on their site? I am a fairly heavy IK user (Amplitube, B-3X, Miroslav, Sunset Studio Reverb, some T-Racks effects plugins) so this would be a problem, but I'm not seeing anything about a subscription model - or on their forum for that matter. They have long had a requirement to pay $10 every 180 days if you want to be able to re-download applications or sound data/presets - I ran into this issue with a MemoryMoog synth I had gotten from them in a promo but never installed. If I wanted to have the sound data, I would need to pay them $10 to re-activate the download server. But what you're describing sounds like a much different issue, and one that would make me dump IK permanently.

I looked for it tonight but could not find it.

I also noted that when I clicked on something on one of their many pages and then clicked back, the page layout was different. Maybe they are changing stuff around, maybe it was an error (mine or theirs) and maybe I don't really know what's going on with IK.

If all your stuff works and you like it, keep using it. 😇 I'm not here to tell anybody what to do, in fact I deleted my original post that you tagged on your post. We all need to choose our own paths and develop our own techniques. 

I hardly used any IK plugins anyway so I won't miss them.

Honestly, more and more I'm using fewer and fewer plugins of any brand. I work hard choosing my sounds, I've found my favorite vocal mic (Microphone Parts T-67 that I built from a kit), I'm running my bass through a Tech 21 Q-Strip and using D'Addario Chromes which are bright sounding flatwound strings and I don't need to do anything to it once it's tracked. And I have enough guitars and enough pick, picking location and mic choices (when I mic a guitar, which is just for acoustic guitars) that I can get my guitar tones pretty easily. I use Plugin Alliance Chandler and Fuchs guitar amp plugins, beautiful for a huge variety of electric guitar tones - I like them better than the Amplitube I was using - the new version might be great but I don't care now. My current work is sounding more and more like the mixing is just setting the volume and panning decisions for the most part. I do like a bit of reverb and/or delay here and there but there are lots of great options without IK. 

I'm starting to want to use my Korg Wavedrum, synth drums and real percussion/drums played with my fingers instead of digital drum programs. MODO Drum seemed "heavy-handed" to me and the drum patterns are good but stylistically pretty limited. I've kept it just for the MIDI patterns but I'm trying to find another way to work on drums I like the sound of NI Studio Drummer better but I either need to learn to edit MIDI better or just get good at making beats without it. Studio Drummer will play the MODO MIDI patterns pretty much spot on but I'm wanting something that sounds more like ME and less like whoever that drummer was. They were very good but not my style. So it goes. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

8 minutes ago, bill5 said:

BLASPHEMER!!

It's truth! If a plugin makes something sound better to me, I will use it. I don't have anything against them at all. 

Right now, I am pondering Baby Audio Transit, which is apparently capable of creating useful transitions in a mix. That could be a time saver compared to using automation tracks. I plan on bringing up an older track and downloading the free demo. If it can do that without jumping through lots of hoops then I think it would be useful. 

https://babyaud.io/transit

If seeking another FM option-  Granddaddy FM8 is on sale at Plugin Boutique.   $10.00

Though older, still sounds great. Be warned the UI is in need of serious update and can't be enlarged. There is a wealth of great presets, and was able to load in my old DX7/TX816 stuff too.  Though many didn't age well and benefit form FM8's Fx. . 

As to plug -overload.  Guilty.  I think the nature of us wearing many hats for self-production can make us focus on the wrong hat.

I've been making folders in Logic with just the bare essential plugins for both audio and synth.  Force myself to concentrate on the musical side of things first before I go down the rabbit hole of tweaking compressors etc.     After doing so much stuff remotely during Covid,   enjoying sessions at other studios again because I get to wear just the "musical hat".  Plus real-time feed back from the artist, and someone else worrying about the audio.  

14 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Right now, I am pondering Baby Audio Transit,

I'm intrigued by Andrew's Transit plug -the intro price is reasonable.  Though I have to admit, I'm a sadist  and enjoy doing transitions by hand.  Assembling different elements, and  trying to come up with something unique.     I haven't played with the demo yet- but fear most of those Transit presets will likely end up showing up un-modified, and can see myself spending just as much time tweaking that plug.  His automation thing does seem like a huge time-saver.

To avoid taking away from the composing process, what I do now is just slap on a generic rev cymbal or sweep as simple place holder.    Then come back and do extensive  transition creation later. 

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

1 hour ago, obxa said:

If seeking another FM option-  Granddaddy FM8 is on sale at Plugin Boutique.   $10.00

Though older, still sounds great. Be warned the UI is in need of serious update and can't be enlarged. There is a wealth of great presets, and was able to load in my old DX7/TX816 stuff too.  Though many didn't age well and benefit form FM8's Fx. . 

As to plug -overload.  Guilty.  I think the nature of us wearing many hats for self-production can make us focus on the wrong hat.

I've been making folders in Logic with just the bare essential plugins for both audio and synth.  Force myself to concentrate on the musical side of things first before I go down the rabbit hole of tweaking compressors etc.     After doing so much stuff remotely during Covid,   enjoying sessions at other studios again because I get to wear just the "musical hat".  Plus real-time feed back from the artist, and someone else worrying about the audio.  

I'm intrigued by Andrew's Transit plug -the intro price is reasonable.  Though I have to admit, I'm a sadist  and enjoy doing transitions by hand.  Assembling different elements, and  trying to come up with something unique.     I haven't played with the demo yet- but fear most of those Transit presets will likely end up showing up un-modified, and can see myself spending just as much time tweaking that plug.  His automation thing does seem like a huge time-saver.

To avoid taking away from the composing process, what I do now is just slap on a generic rev cymbal or sweep as simple place holder.    Then come back and do extensive  transition creation later. 

I bought Transit today after futzing about with it and watching their video. I've never put transitions into my recordings and I find the idea intriguing. 

It's obvious that the video they feature is going way over the top to make the demo more obvious. In my mind, the art of transition could be very subtle and most of the time, that's the direction I would take. At the same time, if one wants to unleash the crazy, it's certainly on tap. I can't say I won't do it. 

It occurred to me that it can also replace a number of plugins with a single one, that alone is worthy. If I can clear the clutter then even if I only used Transit as a single effect plugin here and there I would save considerable time going through a bloated list of options. 

I like your idea of a folder with minimal plugins. Over time, one may come to the conclusion that only a few good plugins are needed. 

That's going to be the next phase of my plug in decluttering project - an essentials folder. 

• Like 1

+1 on the DCO-106.  It was the first CA VST that I ever bought, at $25.  It was maybe the best $25 I've ever spent on gear!  It sounds "Roland-y," is as easy to program as the original, and adds delay and reverb to the package.  Any time I need an arpeggio, I immediately think the DCO-106!

Regards,

-BW

--

Bruce Wahler

Halfmoon-Switch.com

http://halfmoon-switch.com

bw@wahler.us

• 2 weeks later...

Thump One - free for MacOS and Windows, $4 for iPad

https://www.toyboxaudio.com/pages/thump-one

"Thump One is an easy to use music synthesiser plugin with a fun glitchy 'wavetable' engine and a bank of flexible multi-segment envelopes to shape the sound in any direction you desire. Perfect for powerful kick drums, huge club basses and soaring leads."

Lots of great stuff posted on here!!!!

I don't know if it's still on sale but last night I got Waves F6 bundle for $30 (regular price is $100).

It's a combination of EQ and compression, you can compress specific frequencies on a track with a single plugin. 

I haven't used it yet but Craig Anderton uses it and praised it in his forum, I consider that good provenance. 

On 8/1/2023 at 5:21 PM, bill5 said:

Sampletekk 90% off EVERYTHING - SALE ENDS TODAY!  I love their upright "Rain Piano" and the INIL chorus is a re-creation of that 10CC's "I'm Not in Love" sound.

https://www.sampletekk.com/

Rain Piano is back on sale for $12.25

I'm thinking of getting it and converting it using Chicken System's Kurzweil Creator, which I bought but haven't used yet, to load into my PC4-7. Would there be any reason to choose one format over the other (Kontakt or EXS24)? It imports both formats.

* Also: it says Kontakt 16 bit (Full Version). What does Full Version refer to?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

1 hour ago, Synthaholic said:

Rain Piano is back on sale for $12.25

I'm thinking of getting it and converting it using Chicken System's Kurzweil Creator, which I bought but haven't used yet, to load into my PC4-7. Would there be any reason to choose one format over the other (Kontakt or EXS24)? It imports both formats.

* Also: it says Kontakt 16 bit (Full Version). What does Full Version refer to?

There is Kontakt Player (free) and Kontakt Full Version (not free). Many plugins are made to work in Full Version only and will not work in Free.

I have Free and have to take a pass on the Full Version plugins. So it goes...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bill5 said:

What KP said. tbh I don't know what EXS24 is about. 

I understand that to be the Logic format. I'm just wondering which one I should convert to Kurzweil, or if it matters at all. They are both 16 bit.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

1 hour ago, Synthaholic said:

I understand that to be the Logic format. I'm just wondering which one I should convert to Kurzweil, or if it matters at all. They are both 16 bit.

If you're using Chicken Sys it can convert from/to many formats.  The question that always happens when converting is how many details come across as far as behaviors - programming details that are unique to the format.  There is often tweaking to do when you arrive in the new format. 

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

On 9/5/2023 at 9:36 AM, drawbars said:

+1 on the DCO-106.  It was the first CA VST that I ever bought, at $25.  It was maybe the best $25 I've ever spent on gear!  It sounds "Roland-y," is as easy to program as the original, and adds delay and reverb to the package.  Any time I need an arpeggio, I immediately think the DCO-106!

Just got it on sale, $20.  This is gonna be fun.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

On 9/19/2023 at 3:40 AM, Jim Alfredson said:

IK Multimedia giving away Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE just for signing up to their newsletter.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?id=Miro2Giveaway2023

So being a sucker for orchestral libraries, I thought I'd give these an audition. I've not historical had very good user experiences managing IK libraries, and thought things might have improved.

Well, I gave up in a rage. It has been the worst download and failed install experience I've had in a long time, with so many problems and lack of info, I won't bother detailing here. I just deleted it all again. Obviously a lot of people are very happy with it all, but it will have to remain one of life's big mysteries for me.😒

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

As I have a history with them, I didn't even have to sign up for the newsletter, I already was, and when I logged into my account the offer was there. I have several pairs of IK monitors, and they are very good, but the software side of their business beggars belief!

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

6 hours ago, DeltaJockey said:

As I have a history with them, I didn't even have to sign up for the newsletter, I already was, and when I logged into my account the offer was there. I have several pairs of IK monitors, and they are very good, but the software side of their business beggars belief!

I can relate to this... A couple years ago, there was a huge IK sale where you could get tons of software by just buying one. It worked even with buying some hardware, so I got a 49 keys controller and that opened a bunch of software freebies.

Well, as a VST-holic 😅 I just downloaded them and fully forgot about them... Some days ago I saw an offer on an FX pack from IK and, as I am building a PC based rig, it seemed like a good one to have. And bought it at Plugin Deals.

Then I opened the IK manager tool and entered the code. It happily accepted it. And then, looking at the registration date, it was from 2021. Yes, I had got it on that mega sale!. So, due to my fault, I have thrown to the trash a new license, but without the system telling me I already had that product 😡

I would say it is a basic thing for them to check and politely say that I already had it, so I could gift it to a friend. But, no, just sucked it and voilà, your double license is merged into one.

Not to speak of the 180 day downloading period or they confusing naming for similar things...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jose EB5AGV said:

Not to speak of the 180 day downloading period

Yes that was something that struck me too. I hadn't logged in for some time, and noticed some plugins I must have got bundled with monitors at some point. It had long expired, so missed my opportunity to download. I thought, oh well, they've done me a favour, i don't have a spare day to muck about with trying to get them successfully installed anyway.😉

• Haha 1