Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fatar TP40 G/H versus Montage 8 keybed

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Stage 3 HA88 uses the TP40M, which comes from the same keybed family, but has some differences compared to the TP40 G/H.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

41 minutes ago, Imagine said:

Thanks. Is the TP40M lighter than the TP40 G/H?

No idea, I've never played either action.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

H is for hard, M for medium, L for low. So yes, the TP40M has a lighter touch. As to your original question "which is likely the better keyboard", only you can decide. You need to try each one. I prefer the TP40M or TP40H. The TP40H is on the Nord Piano 5. 

1 hour ago, Imagine said:

Thanks. Is the TP40M lighter than the TP40 G/H?

The TP40M is their Medium weighted version. The GH version is graded, meaning it's heavier toward the bottom, lighter toward the top. So the question of which keys feel lighter could depend on which section of the GH version you're playing.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

19 hours ago, b3plyr said:

H is for hard, M for medium, L for low.

No,-

H = heavy

M = medium

L = light

G/H = graded hammer (4 zones of graduation w/ this action,- not for every key !) - like Doepfer PK-88

Then come the W (= Wood) variations

Latest Fatar add triple sensor,- TP110, TP400

Some manufacturers modify or order, according to their demands, special versions of these actions.

NORD TP40M is not the typical TP40M and Lachnit´s TP40 G/H Wood might be the "top of the hill" modification.

Every TP40-L, M or H is NOT graded,- only the G/H version is.

I guess these differences are also present for the TP400 action or might be in the pipeline.

☺️

A.C.

To answer the first of the two original questions, I would personally say the Montage 8 BH keybed is going to be the better of the two. But I've never liked Fatar hammer actions much, and I own a Motif XF8 that has the same keybed as the Montage 8.

If you're willing to spend that much on a board but want a really great hammer action, check out the Kawai MP7SE and ES920.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76| Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT, Kurzweil PC4 (88)

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments