Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lindsey Buckingham plays Strats...

image.png.d38344bea099089aa9d2f4baea97ae58.png

In this picture, one can see Lindsey Buckingham playing a Stratocaster fitted with a Alembic Blaster (Could be the 59 Strat Ken's talking about, but appears to have a rosewood 65 Stratocaster Neck) it was used for the Rumours Tour on "Over My Head" in Open-D, Buckingham has multiple Strats, in a Guitar Player Magazine from 1977 he mentions to have a 63 Hybrid Strat, which is a 1963 Hardtail Stratocaster Body, been refinshed Black and Buckingham has stripped the paint, and has a 1965 Fender Stratocaster Neck (also fitted with a Alembic Blaster), the 63 Hybrid Strat has probably been on every Mac Record that Buckingham has recorded on, Probably both of those Strats have been used on the Rumours Sessions, Buckingham has also been seen with a Natural Stratocaster on stage with Richard Dashut from 1984, as well as two White Stratocasters with mint green pickguard on the Say You Will Tour 03-04, it seems to be used on "Tusk", one of them has had a Roland Synth Pickup (GR50??), in the Video "Lindsey Buckingham - Solo Anthology Unboxing Video" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hDO0sCvFTY, Buckingham is seen with a Black Stratocaster Copy, a Sunburst Stratocaster also fitted with a Roland Pickup, and his 63 Hybrid Stratocaster. I think the song Silver Spring was also played on a Strat. He also used Ovation acoustic guitars, an EDS 1275, a Telecaster and a white 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom on that album, played through Marshall and Hiwatt amps. He switched to playing Rick Turner guitars and Mesa Boogie amps by the time Tusk came out. A lot of other guitarists in Fleetwood Mac--namely Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer, Peter Green and Bob Welch all played Strats.

In the book "Making Rumours: The Inside Story of the Classic Fleetwood Mac Album" by Ken Caillat and Steve Stiefel, it is mentioned that Buckingham used Stratocasters during the recording of "Rumours". (page 70)

Then the fun began. All of the members of the band went out into the studio’s recording area on the other side of the large double-sided glass separating the control room from the studio, and sat down at their starting instruments: Mick with his eight-inch Ludwig snare, John with his Fender Bassman, and Christine at her Hammond B3 organ. Lindsey chose his 1959 Fender Stratocaster, and Stevie picked up her tambourine, festooned with long black ribbons.

He did use a lot of phase shifting on the 1975 album as well as Rumours. I think he was using a Roland Space Echo on that album.

The lead guitar riff for You Make Loving Fun and Second Hand News was a Strat. Not sure if it was THIS exact Strat, but I read it was a Strat.
He also played a Telecaster on those records too, and also played a sunburst Telecaster for the Trouble video as well as the slide solo on Monday Morning and on World Turning.

I think he purchased this Strat at the Guitar Center prior to joining Fleetwood Mac. I know he purchased his Les Paul from Guitar Center, and would often throw his guitars onstage during the Rumours tour, mostly in drug induced manic fits because of the design and also because of how distorted they sounded. I also know he played a Strat on the Buckingham Nicks 1973 album, and on Go Insane. But if anyone has any info or other pictures of Lindsey playing a Strat, feel free to upload it. I know that the Les Paul was used on Gold by John Stewart, and on Magnet and Steel by Walter Egan and on the solo for Sentimental Lady by Bob Welch, which Lindsey produced.

I hope this clears up any or all confusion about Lindsey playing a Strat.

• Like 2

Lindsey is a great musician.

Strats are no surprise to me, I am surprised when somebody doesn't use a Strat. 

Maybe not all the time but they have great sound and feel and it's not difficult to find a use for one. 

Leo Fender's second greatest innovation. 

• Like 3
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

10 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Lindsey is a great musician.

TROO~DAT. No mere "rumour"...

12 hours ago, IMMusicRulz said:

[Lindsey Buckingham] would often throw his guitars onstage during the Rumours tour, mostly in drug induced manic fits because of the design and also because of how distorted they sounded.

Largely the reasons that he then turned to Luthier Extraordinaire and repeated Rock History insider Rick Turner to have him create a new guitar for him. The resulting Model 1 immediately replaced Buckingham's Strats, Les Pauls, and even his acoustic guitars on stage. Very unusual, unique guitars- but there's NO argument when Lindsey plays them. They really suit him very well, and are extremely versatile!

• Like 4

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

49 minutes ago, desertbluesman said:

I was always very impressed with Lindsey Buckingham's playing technique. Way different than most players but well done.

Lindsey was mostly a finger-picker, like Mark Knopfler in that respect but he did his own thing. 

What really sets him apart from most lead guitarists is that his solos were compositions, melodic and iconic ear worms that you still remember long after you've forgetten all the pretty little shred fests that are on so many recordings. 

• Like 4

+1,000 on Lindsey Buckingham being a great player!  I saw him and FM a few years back just as they had returned from a tour in Canada in Sacramento, CA.  Christine McVie had just returned to the band.  Lindsey played his custom-made guitar(s) model 1 Caevan mentioned along with a model 1 clone throughout the performance.  He played an acoustic on one tune with special tuning that he wrote and taught how he played the tune on YouTube.  I can't remember the name of the tune or find it anymore on YT but it may still be out there...

He had a bank of amps and a bank of speakers on stage with several foot switches to call up what he wanted.  I had not been aware of his Strat history and do not doubt the OP's history.  However, in an article interview I had read years ago, Lyndsey said the reason he had so many amps and speakers on stage along with his special guitar, was to capture the same sounds that FM had made in the studio for his live audiences.  He had to go back and relearn many of their original hits to create the live performance settings.  From where I sat, he accomplished his goal...😎

• Like 3
Take care, Larryz

Lindsey also played a Strat in this vid:

He also played a Strat on the new single by the Killers, as evidenced in this photo.

image.png.e0a4c1c7c6d67f9b22e18f6e1c1dd924.png

And for Lindsey Buckingham fans, you should also check out the performance he did with Halsey recently on SNL:

watch?v=H099BjA6FKk

Despite the heart surgery he had, Lindsey can still sing and play guitar extremely well. His new solo album, and its lead single, I Don't Mind, are also a must listen.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Lindsey was mostly a finger-picker, like Mark Knopfler in that respect but he did his own thing. 

What really sets him apart from most lead guitarists is that his solos were compositions, melodic and iconic ear worms that you still remember long after you've forgotten all the pretty little shred fests that are on so many recordings.

He gone his own way...  :rawk::rimshot:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Mighty fine Larryz, thanks for sharing. 

Lindsay has a great left hand but the right hand is what tells us who is playing.

I guess part of why I don't work on scales so much is I'm trying to get my right hand up to speed, it's spent it's entire life being the underdog since I'm a lefty. 

• Like 3