Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

using Casio PX-S3000 as a midi controller

HI Folks,

I am trying to understand how far this keyboard can go as a midi controller.  It of course sends out key messages and I also see messages from the two controller wheels.  But I am wondering if there are any messages from any of the buttons on the device.  Its a touchscreen so I am not sure whether these buttons can function to send midi messages.  Specifically, I want a button to change the Leslie speed on an organ VST.

Thanks.

The PX-S3000 is a great board.  I have one I use at home.

I would not use it as a controller other than to play notes and send sustain, and whatever the wheels are sending.  It is not designed for that.  Nor is it a shortcoming of the board.

I have gigged with it before, and used it simply as a note generator in Mainstage, while my Arturia Keylab did all the heavy lifting as far as button and knob assignments.

If you just want to trigger Leslie speed, configure it so a pedal on the PX-S3000 does it

Again, it's a great board for its intended use.

• Like 3

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

15 hours ago, CharlieLosGatos said:

But I am wondering if there are any messages from any of the buttons on the device.

No that is not possible. There are the knobs, expression pedal and the pitch bend wheel. The SP-34 3-pedal option could also be configured to do things in your software. 

• Like 1

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

4 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

No that is not possible. There are the knobs, expression pedal and the pitch bend wheel. The SP-34 3-pedal option could also be configured to do things in your software. 

Thanks Mike,

It's been forever since I've connected mine to Mainstage or Gig Performer, and I forgot about the triple pedal assignment as well.

I still use it at home just to practice with the built in speakers.  Great board!

• Like 1

David

Good suggestion about the pedal - there is only one pedal on this unit (belongs to the place where I rehearse) but I could use it for Leslie speed when I have an organ going.

I agree this is a very nice keyboard.  Personally I really like the feel of the key bed.  One con is that I find the touchscreen extremely confusing.  

18 hours ago, CharlieLosGatos said:

Good suggestion about the pedal - there is only one pedal on this unit (belongs to the place where I rehearse) but I could use it for Leslie speed when I have an organ going.

I agree this is a very nice keyboard.  Personally I really like the feel of the key bed.  One con is that I find the touchscreen extremely confusing.  

Give it some time.  Once you "get" the hierarchy of the touch screen controls, they will become second nature.   Since I don't use mine in a controller capacity, I am not too worried about instant access to some of the deeper menu items.

And yes, considering the weight and shallow depth of this board, I think the keys are great.   I have a wonderful Finger to Ear connection, especially with the speakers on.

As some others have mentioned I, too, have a foot switch mapped to Leslie speed in my Mainstage or Gig Performer Concerts

David

• 1 year later...

I also have this keyboard. I was disapointed with the onboard sounds of piano, so i use it as a midi keyboard to play Piano. I find I can overplay, as its dynamic range is lacking. I found out after purchase (Casio dont give you info on the keybed like other manufacturers) that its only a dual sensor in combination with software, which for its own onboard sounds gives you more control, but not for midi out signals. So I'm thinking a triple sensor midi keyboard may give me more dynamic range and lesson the rsi im getting in my fingers from playing the pxs 3000.