Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Broken Handle on Gator Case for JP-80

Moonglow

Hi All,

The handle came off the Gator case for my Jupiter-80 (see attached picture). Fortunately, I was in the process of initiating the lift off the ground when the handle broke, so it only fell 2-3 inches. It certainly appears I need a new handle, but the hard part (at least for me) will be installing it. I'm reasonably sure this is the case:

Click Here

I'm hoping I won't have to get a new case ($$$). Gator has a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" but it's only for defects, not "normal wear and tear." I suspect they will say this falls into the latter category (it's about ten years old), although is it unreasonable to expect the handle to remain attached to the case? In my 40+ years of playing out, I've never had a handle come off a flight case. I'm also wondering how much it would cost to send it in and have it repaired?

I have a padded gator case to use in the interim, but will need to insert a chunk of foam at one end to keep the synth from moving around. The size of the space for the foam is approximately 9" x 18" x 6" (L x D X H). Anyone know where to get some foam? A hobby store, perhaps?

Thanks to all for any tips/recommendations!

Gator Case.jpg

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

If you have the original website there is an option to upload it to their website and it walks you through everything.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

23 hours ago, Outkaster said:

I have had good luck with them replacing things and 3 cases actually.

Thanks for that Outcaster, good to know!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Same thing happened to mine. I found replacements on the Gator website but haven't ordered one yet.

Korg Kronos 61 (2); Roland Fantom-06, 2015 Macbook Pro and 2012 Mac Mini (Logic Pro X and Mainstage), GigPerformer 4.

Gatorcase has replaced 3 of my gator cases for free. To qualify, they’ll ask you to send them a photo of the defect; and then, destroy the case to be unusable.  Send photo of the destroyed case.   Then, they’ll ship you a new case.  

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

For foam check out DIY Road Cases Store. I bought some foam from them about a month ago. If you live near one of their pick up locations it's a good deal. It would have cost $90 shipping for the foam I bought plus they cut it into three pieces when shipped. They also sell over twenty types of handles for cases.

Harbor Freight sells the 9800 Rifle case which I just got for my Nord Stage 3 Compact. It is a lightweight hard case that just might also fit a 76-key Jupiter 80. The price just went up but they sometimes have discount coupons. The price is still lower than the Nord padded bag.

https://www.diyroadcasesstore.com

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

4 hours ago, engineerjoel said:

Gatorcase has replaced 3 of my gator cases for free. To qualify, they’ll ask you to send them a photo of the defect; and then, destroy the case to be unusable.  Send photo of the destroyed case.   Then, they’ll ship you a new case.  

That’s awesome! How did you I initiate contact for your issue(s)? Telephone? Email? Thanks!

- George Bernard Shaw

1 hour ago, Shamanzarek said:

For foam check out DIY Road Cases Store. I bought some foam from them about a month ago. If you live near one of their pick up locations it's a good deal. It would have cost $90 shipping for the foam I bought plus they cut it into three pieces when shipped. They also sell over twenty types of handles for cases.

Harbor Freight sells the 9800 Rifle case which I just got for my Nord Stage 3 Compact. It is a lightweight hard case that just might also fit a 76-key Jupiter 80. The price just went up but they sometimes have discount coupons. The price is still lower than the Nord padded bag.

https://www.diyroadcasesstore.com

Thanks for the info, Shamanzarek. 👍

- George Bernard Shaw

Update: I ordered a replacement handle from Gator and, to my surprise, was able to successfully install it. I had to separate a portion of the foam on the inside of the case to get to the four screws that go into the handle. The foam actually separated much easier than I thought it would. From there, it was relatively easy to screw in the handle. I then slathered on some fabric/plastic glue to re-attach the foam to the case, using a few clamps to hold things together while the glue cured.

Gator was super helpful throughout the process, promptly answering all of my questions. I had the feeling they would have replaced the entire case if I filed a claim, and I just might have if the repairs totally went sideways. Thanks to all here for the guidance!

• Like 6

- George Bernard Shaw