Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg releases Wavestate and Opsix soft synths

https://www.musicradar.com/news/korg-wavestate-opsix-native-soft-synth-plugins

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/wavestate_native/

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/opsix_native/

Surprising move.  

Was waiting for a module version of the wavestate, this may change my plans.   

I'm excited about the continued attention Korg has given to softsynths both in computer platforms and tablets.  

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Playing with these right now.

The op-six is pretty standard FM fare to my ears, and I have that in spades.

Wavestate certainly has some gee whiz patches. The UI is nice. Biggest draw for me would be the pads.

I make software noises.

39 minutes ago, johnchop said:

Playing with these right now.

The op-six is pretty standard FM fare to my ears, and I have that in spades.

Wavestate certainly has some gee whiz patches. The UI is nice. Biggest draw for me would be the pads.

Both of these synths are updated takes on existing instruments already in hardware and software variants.  Not to mention the hardware  Opsix and Wavestate are both running on Rasberry Pi innards. I’m sure it was fairly easy for Korg to get them running on macOS and Windows - sooner is so much cooler than later! Definitely an acknowledgment on their part that those gigging and/or producing on computers are as big a market (if not a bigger market) than hardware sales.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yes, that's an interesting move, to release a soft synth of something still fresh on the market! Not sure why I didn't see this news in email or on KVR News or Sonics State News, but maybe the headline confused me and I didn't click for details.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Smart move by Korg to release software versions of their KBs. I hope it doesn't lead them to scratch the Wavestate SE. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

9 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

..lead to more hardware Opsix and Wavestate sales.

Yesterday, I was told the Wavestate is selling like hotcakes and moving more units than the Opsix and Modwave.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I wonder if a Modwave VST is far behind ...

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Depends on what ProfD's little bird told him...

I do not have any additional info at the moment. 😁😎

PD

A detail, but significant: Korg  is insisting in the 100% compatibility between hardware and software versions, and is offering a special cross license price for people owning the hardware (49$ instead of 149/199); the view is interesting: take out the keyboard for gigging, work with your computer in the studio, share sounds.

Maurizio

• Like 1

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

11 hours ago, ProfD said:

I do not have any additional info at the moment. 😁😎

I take that as a hint about how Modwave sales have been going.  

Modwave does not have the nostalgia factor of the Wavestate - by way of its ancestor Wavestation - or the Opsix, by way of DX7 technology which Korg jumped on after Yamaha's patent expired.

I don't see Korg putting effort into Modwave plugin if it doesn't expect to make money off of it

55 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Modwave does not have the nostalgia factor...

Right.  While the DW8000 was a cool synth back in the 80s, the sound of has been covered in other KBs. 

IMO, the Modwave as a DW on steroids could offer some interesting sound design possibiliites but it would require a commitment from the end user.😎

PD

26 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Right.  While the DW8000 was a cool synth back in the 80s, the sound of has been covered in other KBs. 

IMO, the Modwave as a DW on steroids could offer some interesting sound design possibilities but it would require a commitment from the end user.😎

The wavestate has me convinced, and I thought the modwave had some interesting capabilities.   I don't get the opsix-    it doesn't seem to bring anything new.  

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

More softsynths weren't on my list, but I'm happy to see the Wavestate in this form. Korg could have sold me a module version any time. It doesn't hurt that it looks a bit like Pigments, but that's a matter of form following function, IMO.

The stingy Wavestation Legacy GUI was a grind, so I dropped it when I took up an M1 Mac. This layout greatly improves on that version and the creditable but still squinty OLED on the WS. It doesn't hurt my feelings a bit that its compatible with third-party patch sets. Its a guilty pleasure to pick out the brighter spots and massage them into a personal shape.

I've been seeking a simpler way of building rhythms, especially polyrhythmic madness. I'm willing to risk it because the dividends here seem promising. I'm so Kong-like, all I can do with a Volca is use it for a tooth pick, so those are right out. 😏   

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"

5 hours ago, Rod S said:

The wavestate has me convinced...

Same here.  I'd rather have the Wavestate SE but that appears to be a unicorn. 

1 hour ago, David Emm said:

I've been seeking a simpler way of building rhythms, especially polyrhythmic madness...Volca...

I picked up a Volca Sample and never took it out of the box.  Thankfully, I picked it up from Guitar Center.  I was able to return it.

I'll put up with the flimsy 37-key Wavestate since it's mainly for LH bass, leads, pads, sample import and rhythmic ideas. 

Also, I can MIDI the Wavestate to another KB if the key action becomes too unbearable. 😁😎

PD

15 hours ago, mauriziodececco said:

A detail, but significant: Korg  is insisting in the 100% compatibility between hardware and software versions, and is offering a special cross license price for people owning the hardware (49$ instead of 149/199); the view is interesting: take out the keyboard for gigging, work with your computer in the studio, share sounds.

Maurizio

Mmm.

Given the present scarcity of live concerts, given that a number of keyboardists are gigging with computers anyway, and given the general economic crisis hitting most people in the show business... I'd say that there are going to be a *lot* of hardware Wavestates on sale for cheap, very soon.  I'm certainly thinking about selling mine and using the plugin only.