Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rusty Korg advice?

Rhodesluvr

Hi - long-time piano player, totally new to digital keyboards. Just got a Korg Grandstage and I love the action and sounds, especially the EPs. However, looks like it was used as someone’s coffee table… greasy handprints and spatters on the outside. I cleaned up the exterior but I can see some rust on the steel plate under the keys, which makes me think a drink or two went in there…

It plays great and I got a good deal on it. I would love to keep it, but does that rust mean it’s doomed to a short life? Or if I keep it dry should the sensors and keys be ok? Seems built like a tank but I just don’t know anything about how these things age… Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Can you return it? 

If it's this badly taken care of, you don't know what else has happened, something spilled inside which could cause electronics issues, keys malfunctioning. 

If you keep it, I would open (or better, have someone experienced do it) and inspect inside.   Several users here are more experienced than I am and can suggest specifics.  

In general keyboards can take a fair amount of abuse, but it's recommended to steer away from this unless it's an incredible price or a rare/unique piece of equipment.  

• Thanks 1

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it was several hundred dollars less than the prices I’m seeing elsewhere for the same board. And yes I could still return it for the next month. I live near a keyboard repair place, think I’m going to have them take a look at damage and clean it out. Hoping I can keep it and put my own wear and tear on, preferably not in liquid form…

• Like 1

Yep, having a tech inspect it is the way to go.

If there's nothing to worry about, or just a bit of cleaning, you'll still have got a good price for your trouble. 

If there is, you'll know and can proceed accordingly. 

• Like 1

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Try some Loctite Rust Dissolver in a non-critical area and see if it cleans up the corrosion. There are other brands like Rust-Oleum and Evapo Rust. The main ingredient in these is phosphoric acid also an ingredient in Coca-Cola known to weaken bones with regular use.

• Like 1

Gibson G101, Fender Rhodes Piano Bass, Vox Continental, RMI Electra-Piano and Harpsichord 300A, Hammond M102A, Hohner Combo Pianet, OB8, Matrix 12, Jupiter 6, Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, CS70M, CP35, PX-5S, WK-3800, Stage 3 Compact

44 minutes ago, Rhodesluvr said:

Those Korg Rhodes sounds are really doing it for me, and the pianos, organs, and synths are pretty great too. 

CLR works brilliantly on rusty parts.

Glad you like the GrandStage! The RH3 is the best action I've played recently, and I agree with the Rhodes but I was wishing for more editability. I parted with my GS73 to get a Kronos.

• Like 1

Here for the gear.

Will the cost of a tech just to look at it push it higher than a looked after one you didnt buy. Meaning was the saving well above added tech's costs.

When i buy second hand and buy something thats been lets say treated "arrogantly" i would want a good reduction in price to "take the chance" and would be prepared to do the pull apart myself as paying a tech could push it into the "i didnt save anything" category. Although cleaned up it would only look "arrogantly presentable" rather than "daringly demure".

But here in Aussie there is a lack of finding desired used keyboards locally so sometimes we have to say to ourselves "i might not find another one and bite the bullet" but id still not want to add tech price on a newly bought item unless i factored in that money risk in the initial purchase. Also i know of no local tech local to me since i moved south so its up to me. 

I only say this as you say you have a return window. As much as i dont believe in returning working things i inspected as working then that depends on your beliefs and the shops policy?

So ask a tech the base cost of just opening it up and a clean to get a rough cost of the exercise and be prepared to pay more once open.

Ironically your "arrogant looking"  keyboard could last longer than a pretty one and if you got it really cheap it could be best to leave sleeping dogs lie.

On 3/18/2022 at 10:08 AM, Shamanzarek said:

Try some Loctite Rust Dissolver in a non-critical area and see if it cleans up the corrosion. There are other brands like Rust-Oleum and Evapo Rust. The main ingredient in these is phosphoric acid also an ingredient in Coca-Cola known to weaken bones with regular use.

Per Shamanzarek’s advice, I poured two cans of Coke over the keys. Didn’t seem to help the rust much but it smells great. 😉

Actually I think I’m going with Aussiekeys’ advice, will open it up myself and see how extensive the rust is. If it’s contained and no apparent damage to sensors/circuit boards I’ll clean it up a bit, extend the warranty and cross my fingers. 

talked to a tech who said that if keys work well and are velocity sensitive across the board, it’s probably fine.