Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Where are your favorite places to go for photography?

Obviously, I'm thinking of landscape photography or beautiful places, but really, if you do portrait photography, perhaps it's some place nearby. Doesn't matter. Where are your favorite places to go for photography? Which places really inspire you?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, partially because it's close in proximity, it's the Mojave Desert. That means, yeah, Joshua Tree National Park, Death Valley National Park, the Mojave National Preserve, Route 66, and much more.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Farther from home, I am super inspired by India, which is easily one of the most vibrant, photogenic places on the planet, and Iceland, which is a geological wonder.

spacer.png

Above: the Indian Himalayas never fail to impress and humble.

spacer.png

Kashmir in the Indian Himalayas.

spacer.png

An Icelandic Puffin

spacer.png

An Icelandic horse.

Tell us about your favorite places to photograph and which locations inspire you. Preferably with photos to share if you have 'em.

[i]Hmmm the forum seems different since I logged on last.  Why is my avatar round now?[/i]

I love the Mojave too, despite being, what am I, 2000 miles away?  I think it first clicked when I was in Amboy during its "mostly abandoned" phase when even the store and gas station were closed and we were completely alone there.  Then the road over Cadiz Summit with all the words and stuff spelled out in rocks along the side of the road, mile after mile...  Neat area.  Coming back as an adult and shooting these places at night instead of under billion-watt sunshine is even better.

I also love a good abandoned building.  For example, this is at a now-demolished abandoned air force base in Central Illinois.  The place was huge!  I wandered around in there alone a couple times and was able to shoot all day long without seeing another soul. 

6994982165_03007c43da_o.jpg

Do an online search for Deception Pass in WA state and click Images. 

It's a stunning area. Really, this entire part of the west coast is fantastic.

Currently I'm staying at an older 3 story on the side of the hill in Fairhaven. My condo had some water damage from a broken sprinkler head on the 3rd floor, I'm on the first floor. They've gutted the kitchen completely, shut the water off and a great friend said I could stay at her vacant home. View of the waterfront, spectacular sunsets and now I'm working on having a model come over and shooting in some of the interior locations. I'm probably choosing the least interesting parts of the interior but my inclinations are based on natural light rather than "scenery". I like to keep things simple for portraiture and/or figure studies. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 3/7/2022 at 10:15 AM, Lou Gehrig said:

[i]Hmmm the forum seems different since I logged on last.  Why is my avatar round now?[/i]

I love the Mojave too, despite being, what am I, 2000 miles away?  I think it first clicked when I was in Amboy during its "mostly abandoned" phase when even the store and gas station were closed and we were completely alone there.  Then the road over Cadiz Summit with all the words and stuff spelled out in rocks along the side of the road, mile after mile...  Neat area.  Coming back as an adult and shooting these places at night instead of under billion-watt sunshine is even better.

I also love a good abandoned building.  For example, this is at a now-demolished abandoned air force base in Central Illinois.  The place was huge!  I wandered around in there alone a couple times and was able to shoot all day long without seeing another soul. 

6994982165_03007c43da_o.jpg

Oh yeah, that looks interesting. And Illinois must have some cool stuff. The Mojave Desert definitely has more than its share of cool landscapes and abandoned areas.

On 3/7/2022 at 7:12 PM, KuruPrionz said:

Do an online search for Deception Pass in WA state and click Images. 

It's a stunning area. Really, this entire part of the west coast is fantastic.

Currently I'm staying at an older 3 story on the side of the hill in Fairhaven. My condo had some water damage from a broken sprinkler head on the 3rd floor, I'm on the first floor. They've gutted the kitchen completely, shut the water off and a great friend said I could stay at her vacant home. View of the waterfront, spectacular sunsets and now I'm working on having a model come over and shooting in some of the interior locations. I'm probably choosing the least interesting parts of the interior but my inclinations are based on natural light rather than "scenery". I like to keep things simple for portraiture and/or figure studies. 

Cool, do you have any photos to share of that?

Deception Pass....looks very green, and the long bridge looks pretty great.

18 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Cool, do you have any photos to share of that?

Deception Pass....looks very green, and the long bridge looks pretty great.

I don't have photos, sorry. When I am there, I just want to look. I'm always glad if I am not driving, hard to keep one's eyes on the road!!!!

It is a beautiful place, no two ways about it. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.