Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

I thought Seahawks-Broncos was entertaining for a low-scoring game.    

Playcalling for the Seahawks seemed conservative for both offense and defense.   

Once Russell Wilson and his new teammates shake off the rust, they'll be more competitive.  Everybody was surprised by the decision to attempt the 64-yd field goal instead of putting the ball in Wilson's hands.

• Like 1

As a decades long Seahawks fan and also a Russell Wilson fan, I was wondering how I would feel about this game. But once I saw Russ in a Broncos uniform throwing against the Seahawks defense, there was no doubt about that! :laugh: It was surreal to watch, but really satisfying when the Seahawk eked out a win. 

Broncos didn't lose because of Wilson. He threw for 340 yards with no fumbles or interceptions - which made the coaching decision at the end even more bizarre. 

The Broncos literally left two (2) TDs on the field by fumbling in the red zone. 

The Broncos final drive ending in a 64 yard FG attempt was bizarre too.

Great win for the Seahawks at home.  They had plenty help from the 12th man and Broncos penalties and turnovers.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Only Week 2 and we already have an AFC West showdown to watch tonight.

Both teams are dealing with injury issues.  I doubt Mahommes' reported wrist issue will keep him out though.  Don't know much about the Chiefs' fill-in kicker.  They worked out Vizcaino but didn't sign him so I'm not counting on them to miss a lot of extra point/FG attempts.  😄

Vizcaino was one of the reasons Staley got so aggressive on 4th down.  As he started to lose confidence in his kicker's ability to knock in a 30-yd or less field goal, he started going for it on 4th down more and more.   I'd never seen a Charger kicker miss so many PATs.  🙄

Chargers will be missing Keenan Allen and Donald Parham Jr.  They activated WR Jason Moore and TE Richard Rogers off the practice squad.  Keenan's duties are more likely, of course, to be spread between Josh Palmer and Deandre Carter.  Looks like JC Jackson will play, which will really help against that Chiefs receiving corps.

Should be a good game.

...and it was a good game!  The kind of hard fought divisional battle that was expected, with some players getting sidelined.

Chiefs came out on top because they were able to adjust to what the Chargers were doing.

Lombardi inherited a great name but he's got a ways to go before his offensive smarts is on Andy Reed's level.  Once a DC as smart as Spags figures him out, he can't re-adjust.   He once again showed a tendency to be conservative and not loosen the reigns on Herbert until it's too late.  He needs to embrace the offensive side of the team being built around Herbert, not around a bruising rushing attack that only needs a game-managing QB.

Despite that, I'm sure Herbert earned even more respect from his teammates tonight.  To come back on the field grimacing in pain, and still make plays - hell of a fighting spirit.

Chargers have the extra half week to lick their wounds.  If they're lucky, they'll have their starting center and RT back soon.  If not, Herbert is going to take more hits.

• Like 1

The Chargers/Chiefs tilt was a very good game. 

The legend of Justin Herbert will continue growing with that movie-like performance in the final 3 minutes of the game. 

Brotha@GovernorSilver, I do think the Chargers should balance their rushing and passing game.  It will help to protect their QB, control clock and open up their passing game. 

Former Chargers QB Phillip Rivers racked up a bunch of passing yards and TDs and went to the playoffs seven (7) times but never made it to a Super Bowl.   Same goes for former QB Dan Fouts.  Exciting to watch though. 😉

Then again, I'm not a fan of the pass happy aspect of NFL football.  I know they think it makes the game more exciting to casual fans.  But, it only works when the players are good enough to execute it.

IMO, lining up 3 and 4 wide on 1st and 2nd downs and chucking it around is no more exciting than a ground and pound RB breaking out Derrick Herry or Saquon Barkley style.

The Indianapolis Colts is the only other team in the league willing to depend on their RB and he's a monster.   

Again, a solid running game will help to save the QB in the long run (no pun intended) and propel a team to win. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

The Chargers/Chiefs tilt was a very good game. 

The legend of Justin Herbert will continue growing with that movie-like performance in the final 3 minutes of the game. 

Brotha@GovernorSilver, I do think the Chargers should balance their rushing and passing game.  It will help to protect their QB, control clock and open up their passing game. 

I like some balance between rushing and passing too, actually.

The main issue is predictability.

When I watch the Chiefs offense, I can't predict if they will run or pass on a given play.  They've shown they can run or pass out of any formation, whether it's 5-receiver spread or power I.

When the Chargers have a 7-pt lead, you and I know what they're going to do on every play.  And so does the Chief's DC Spags.

When Herbert and the Chargers do manage to beat the Chiefs, it's despite the OC, not because of his playcalling - Herbert adjusting on the fly to something that he sees.

It's a young season.  Maybe Lombardi will improve.   When the Chargers hired him, Lions fans were saying he did not do a good job with Stafford.  Maybe it's unreasonable to expect all NFL OCs to be as creative as Andy Reed or Eric Bienemy, who has gotten increasing recognition for being an offensive tactician in his own right.  But if you aspire to beat elite teams, you want your OC to have that "no lead is safe" mentality, because when you're playing the Chiefs or Bills, no lead is safe.

If not, I've no doubt Staley's patience will prove to be finite, if he comes around to the POV of some fans who feel Lombardi is holding Herbert back, like Lions fans felt the same OC held back Stafford.  He did fire his special teams coordinator this past offseason.

Good first game of the season for me to catch. Man, that sequence where Herbert threw the ball away because he couldn't bear the pain when he easily could have gained the line and slid? And then he comes back on the very next play and throws an inch-perfect dart down to inside the ten? Holy cannoli.

• Like 1

Watched two games Sunday that were extremely fun with wonderful outcomes.    49ers v Bears and Packers v Vikings.

What a mess they've created in Santa Clara.

Saturday was fun too.   Iowa State beat Iowa, who demonstrated they don't have a viable quarterback.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 9/12/2022 at 1:53 AM, Geoff Grace said:

Gee, thanks for the pep talk, Bill. ;)

To quote Billy Joel, "You may be wrong, but you may be right." I agree that there isn't much to suggest the Packers will have a fourth straight 13–3 season. They've had more attrition on offense than notable additions, and Aaron Rodgers is getting older. Green Bay does have a good track record at drafting well, though. We'll see how the rookies come along.

I have little faith in my ability to predict the future, nor do I have much faith in anyone else's ability to do so. In fact, one of the things I like most about sports is how unpredictable it can be. As the saying goes, "That's why they play the games."

I hear what you're saying. But I'd happily place bets with anyone who thinks they'll even sniff 13-3. Frankly the only reason they still have a good shot at the playoffs (which are no lock) is that the NFC is such a joke this year. 

KC was gifted that game by SD with the pick six. Gutty performance by Herbert but overall I wouldn't call this a "great" game (other than being close). Neither team had a run game and made their share of whiffs. Samuel whiffed on not one but two easy INTs, one which was an easy pick six as well.

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

I was wondering why the Dolphins were not using Tyreek Hill.

I believe he was cramping up at one point in the game. Sports medicine does wonders. 

Unbelievable comeback win. 6 TDs for QB Tua. Dolohins 2-0 against the odds has to feel great. 

Meanwhile, the Commanders lost a winnable game. The Lions showed up to play. 😎

PD

Just watched two close finishes to games. The Bengals now 0-2 after losing to the Cowboys (second game in a row they lose on the last play) - the Cowboys' backup QB IMO looks better than Prescott. The Bengals' OL is still a joke. And the Cards pull out an amazing win in OT after the Raiders are driving and fumble and the scoop and score by the Cards. A Josh McDaniel team losing is a good thing. :)  Can't believe the Colts got blown out and shut out by the Jags and the Falcons almost beat the Rams. Crazy year!

I've been a semi-fan of the Browns ever since they lost their team to Baltimore.   Like my Vikings, they haven't won it all in the Super Bowl era (though, if they did that's one less team in the club...)  I'm now hard pressed to find a team I'm rooting harder against, since they signed that creep Watson.  And considering how  much I hate the "what holding call?" Packers that's saying a lot.

I can't believe that Dolphins/Ravens game today.  

• Like 1

Yeah I've long felt similar for the Browns and absolutely detest Baltimore....hypocrites. They whined for decades about losing the Colts and Indy "stealing" the team but had no problem doing the same to Cleveland. Sadly they've had much more success. But the Browns seem cursed. Speaking of cursed, they aren't contenders yet but I like what the Lions are doing. I think they have a good coach and are putting pieces in place. I'd still be shocked if they won a SB in my lifetime but their fans have more reasons for hope now than in a long long time.  

As if they read my post here, the Packers and Bears are running the ball and it's been fun to watch. Reminds me of the old school football I grew up watching.

Update...the Bears at the goal line decide to call a QB sneak from a shotgun formation. Stupid. They should have let RB David Montgomery pound it. 😎

• Like 2

PD

It was something of a get right week for my three favorite teams, although the Rams and Broncos barely scored victories in games they should have easily won. 

Fortunately, the Packers had a solid win tonight. I was a little nervous after the Bears' victory against the Niners last week and the Packers' loss to the Vikings, but Green Bay looked comfortable behind the wheel in this game.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Speaking of the Niners, the Trey Lance era has been postponed yet another year. Poor guy!

San Francisco 49ers' Trey Lance needs season-ending surgery on broken ankle suffered against Seattle Seahawks

The Niners look pretty smart for hanging on to Jimmy Garoppolo, though.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

I'm enjoying the Mike Tirico pairing with Cris Collinsworth. Al Michaels and Collinsworth worked well together, but Tirico and Collinsworth do too. After losing a storied veteran like Michaels, NBC didn't miss a beat. 

Tirico was great on ESPN too.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Fortunately, the Packers had a solid win tonight...but Green Bay looked comfortable behind the wheel in this game.

The Packers were smart enough to run the ball with Adams and Dillon.  It opened up the passing game so that Lazard, Watkins and Cobb had catches. 

Head coach Matt LaFleur and company would be wise to stay that course if they plan to keep QB Aaron Rodgers healthy and happy.  Even AR liked some of the play calls as evidenced by his gestures towards the sideline. The Packers put it all together in all phases of the game. 

OTOH, the young Bears teams will have their growing pains.  It will take time for the Bears to develop the right chemistry.  They do have a few solid pieces in place especially at the RB position. 😎

• Like 2

PD

4 hours ago, ProfD said:

The Packers were smart enough to run the ball with Adams and Dillon.  It opened up the passing game so that Lazard, Watkins and Cobb had catches. 

Head coach Matt LaFleur and company would be wise to stay that course if they plan to keep QB Aaron Rodgers healthy and happy.  Even AR liked some of the play calls as evidenced by his gestures towards the sideline. The Packers put it all together in all phases of the game.

I agree, ProfD. The main difference I saw was that, instead of the business as usual alternating between Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon, Matt LaFleur used them both simultaneously so that the defense had to guard against two running threats at once. It didn't hurt to have Allen Lazard back in the lineup either. 

Randall Cobb may have lost a step or two; but he'd a wise, veteran presence, who Rodgers clearly values. I'm glad the Packers brought him back last year. Sammy Watkins is a great addition to the team too. None of them fill the void left by Davante Adams, but Watkins is a probably good replacement for Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Best,

Geoff

10 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Kyler Murray allegedly slapped by Raider fan

And in other news Tyrod Tayler is suing the doctor who ruined his Charger career - same one who is on the medical team caring for Justin Herbert.  😱

I was going to say that I was surprised Tayler had waited until now to sue the doctor, but I see in the link you posted that the lawsuit was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court in May 2021. It makes sense that he would sue. It's the doctor's fault that Tayler lost his starting job and the potential for more income that could have happened if he'd kept the position for the rest of his career. I hope the doctor has good malpractice insurance.

As for Murray getting slapped, it seems that fans are crossing the line more often these days. I hope they find the guy who did it and ban him from ever attending a game again.

Best,

Geoff

Fans are gross, overall.

People think they can spend the money and act anyway they want.  They are the biggest reason I don't miss going to games.

Heck even the parents at my kid's soccer games--a freaking rec league--are bad enough that I tend to sit way off away from most of them.