Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

7 hours ago, ProfD said:

I believe Tom Brady has retired for good from playing football this time.  He will be on a mic in September.

I'll believe it if Sept rolls around and he isn't on a team. :)  

With Payton and Ryans gone, those were IMO the two best HC options avail to teams. The others better start moving. Odd that no other college coaches have come up in nominations. 

3 hours ago, KenElevenShadows said:

I wonder how much he wishes he would have stayed retired?

I think Brady needed that season with its warts and all to confirm that there is nothing left for him to prove or do as an NFL player. It's time for him to retire relatively healthy and enjoy the next phase of his life.😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

If that's true, he's a complete idiot. He's won more SBs than anyone, the entire world and half the solar system is chanting "GOAT GOAT GOAT" 100 times a day, how could he possibly have more to prove? I don't blame his wife a bit. He was a complete fool not to retire last year, if not the year before after he won a SB with the Bucs. 

1 hour ago, bill5 said:

If that's true, he's a complete idiot. He's won more SBs than anyone, the entire world and half the solar system is chanting "GOAT GOAT GOAT" 100 times a day, how could he possibly have more to prove? I don't blame his wife a bit. He was a complete fool not to retire last year, if not the year before after he won a SB with the Bucs. 

It's hard to just walk away from something one has a passion for doing especially when they're among the best at it.

As it relates to the ex-wife, Brady is still physically fit and has his looks and he's a rich man. He won't have a problem having a harem full of women if he so chooses. 

Tom Brady is no idiot by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, he's still winning especially considering he left the game uninjured and he's rich and gets to write his own ticket throughout the rest of his life. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Nobody can speak with authority to another man's motivations in the game of  life nor make judgment of it.

However, as it relates to the game of football, Brady has seeemingly made the right moves because he's still winning.

If Brady snatches off the headset and runs out on the field and goes under center mid-game that's a different story. 🤣

Urban Meyer and Matt Rhule may have soured the NFL on bringing up college coaches.

Coaching pro football players who make money to play is different from dangling scholarships over a college player's head. College coaches have power. 😎

PD

3 hours ago, ProfD said:

I think Brady needed that season with its warts and all to confirm that there is nothing left for him to prove or do as an NFL player. It's time for him to retire relatively healthy and enjoy the next phase of his life.😎

That's a good theory. It's clear he really wanted to play another season, knowing that there was already considerable friction with his wife and trying to make some concessions towards that while still playing. Just wondering if he has regrets about that. Or maybe he's the sort who doesn't look in the rearview mirror much. Hard to know.

This may be old news now, but that was definitely a flop by Mahomes. You can see him react to the actual push, and then react to another imaginary push, which sends him spiraling into a high speed car wreck. It appeared to me that he had just barely hopped out of bounds when the actual push happened. He'd make a great stunt man. -- I'll be pulling for the Chiefs, as the Eagles are too good to the point that they're kind of boring to watch. 

It's quiet on the coaching front. I'm surprised at least some rumors or some such aren't flying around. 

I saw Bobby Beathard, former GM of the Redskins, passed away. One of the best GMs ever. I remember one draft in particular he had was just sick with how good it was, something like I believe 6 or 7 quality starters (including numerous stars) in a 12-round draft.

18 minutes ago, bill5 said:

It's quiet on the coaching front.  

I saw Bobby Beathard, former GM of the Redskins, passed away. One of the best GMs ever. 

Former Broncos head coach/DC Vic Fangio will be Dolphins defensive coordinator.

It was rumored that HC Sean Payton was going to tap Fangio to be his DC when he considered returning to the sidelines. Obviously, Fangio didn't want to go back to Denver.

Former GM Bobby Beathard was the man. He was instrumental in bringing players to the Super Bowl winning Washington teams. 😎

• Like 1

PD

Much respect to Bobby Beathard. 

Chargers fans hoped he would reproduce the Redskins Super Bowl winning magic in San Diego.  He didn't quite get there but he did transform a cellar-dweller to a regular playoff contender for a while, until things went sour between him and the other Bobby - Boss Ross.    

But overall, his place in several Halls of Fame - Cal Poly Athletics, Pro Football, Chargers - was well-earned.

2 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Scott Turner lands in Vegas.

While I'm not totally surprised that Turner wasn't unemployed for long, it shows the NFL coach recycling program works overtime.🤣😎

PD

Super Bowl LVII  Kansas City Chiefs vs Philadelphia Eagles will be held the State Farm Stadium in Glendale, AZ. 

The regular seating capacity is 63,400.  Average ticket price is $6k.  That's $380.4 million in ticket sales prior to concessions and merchandise.   

Then, there's the football watch parties and associated food and beverage costs.  

Regardless of inflation and debt ceilings...Americans will spend a fortune to watch a football game. 🤣

I'm not rooting for either team.  I just hope it's a great game.  No lopsided blowout.

Right now, even with a hobbled QB Patrick Mahomes, I think the Chiefs might have an edge between 1) shoring up o-line since last Super Bowl appearance and 2) head coach experience.😎

• Like 1

PD

Nah. I'm for the Chiefs because that thug Suh is on the Eagles, which means the Eagles are all but guaranteed a win. My track record of teams I root for in the SB is bad, and if I actually watch it, horrific. But like you I hope it's a good game. Nothing worse than a SB blowout.

• Like 1

I don't have a Dog in the Fight. but I am hoping for the Eagles. I'm a homer. Born and raised in PA. I agree that the Chiefs have the edge, despite the betting line. I was watching Colin Cowherd this morning and he said that IF the Chiefs grab an early lead then the Eagles QB will have to step up his game and that could lead to interceptions. I'm not convinced he's 100 percent, but Mahomes isn't either. I too hope for a Competitive game.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Really?  I still see the Eagles favored, albeit by a tiny 1.5 over the Chiefs.

CBS Sports spread says so anyway.

Chiefs do have experience on their side in the coaching and QB positions.

But Eagles on their side have health, their own franchise QB, and a great rushing attack.  

Both teams have a Kelce at TE.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Eagles Jason Kelce is a Center. He's the older brother. 

Agreed that point spread has the game close. But, anything could happen to blow it open.😎

• Like 1

PD

23 hours ago, GovernorSilver said:

Really?  I still see the Eagles favored, albeit by a tiny 1.5 over the Chiefs.

CBS Sports spread says so anyway.

Chiefs do have experience on their side in the coaching and QB positions.

But Eagles on their side have health, their own franchise QB, and a great rushing attack.  

Just meant a general impression...everything I see or hear is about Mahomes, blah blah. Yes he is great but he is also hobbled and it seems people underestimate the impact that could have (I hope not!).  Also the Eagles have a better OL and overall D. I think it will be the diff in the end.

2 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Just meant a general impression...everything I see or hear is about Mahomes, blah blah. Yes he is great but he is also hobbled and it seems people underestimate the impact that could have (I hope not!).  Also the Eagles have a better OL and overall D. I think it will be the diff in the end.

Just about everybody I talked to about the Super Bowl thinks the Eagles are going to win.   Sounds like the opposite of underestimating to me.

If defense wins championships, the Eagles are in the better position. Especially since they're going up against a Chiefs team with a hobbled QB.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid is considered the offensive equivalent of Patriots head coach Bill Belicheck.

It will be interesting to see if Chiefs HC Reid and company can come up with a game plan to help their QB and neutralize that Eagles front which is the heart of their defense.

Also, Eagles QB Jalen Hurts' RPO game should be able to exploit the Chiefs defense of which I've never been impressed.

That's probably why the Eagles are slightly favored. They have to attack on both sides of the ball.  The Chiefs aren't going to fold like the Giants and 49ers. 😎

PD

THE WAIT IS OVER!

Grey is here with his fearless Super Bowl prognostication. Now you can safely place your bets and know which team to root for!

(What the hell? Is the the same Grey who proudly tells people that he's "sports impaired," knows nothing about sports, and could care less? THAT Grey? What's he doing in this thread?)

[Shut up, sit down, and listen, Junior. School's in session. Just 'cuz I think sports are for people who don't have lives doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the finer things in life...like pretty girls.]

(Huh???)

So, without further ado, I present to you, this year's (future, at this moment, elseways it wouldn't be a prediction, would it?) winners of the Super Bowl:

The Philadelphia Eagles

With the patented Grey Way, I can save myself all that tedious research into nonsense like batting averages and hang-time-before-dunk and whether the quarterback can even see the ball after suffering his ninth concussion. Wait...yes, it's true, I do do my homework, but in a far more pleasant manner...

I check out the relative merits of the cheerleading squads.

And this year, sad to say, the Kansas City Chiefs just might as well send their squad up into the stands to watch their team go down in flames. There ain't nuthin', and I mean NUTHIN' there. Sorry Kansas. Corn-fed Midwestern girls ain't what they used to be (and a couple of the KC girls are, how shall I put this?...downright attractiveness-challenged). Philadelphia's girls (guys don't count, I'm straight), whilst not exactly setting my soul on fire, are clearly, and I mean clearly superior.

The scientific basis:

My pseudo-scientific rationalization for how this all works is that guys show off for pretty girls, right? You know you do, I know you do, and I know I do...so just shut it, you. And the prettier the girl, the more effort you put into it. So, ergo, ipso facto, and e pluribus unum, it's clear that if you field a bunch of hot chicks, your guys are going to bust a gut so as to look good. Non-fraternizing rules don't matter. If the girls are there and bouncing, the guys will try to impress. It's that simple. Sexist? Perhaps so, but science doesn't care about social mores. It's all about whether the results of the experiment support the hypothesis.

So how accurate is my method? Pretty damned good, actually. I've not done a formal analysis, but I'm up into at least 70-80% accuracy, if not higher. Pretty good for swooping in at the last moment, looking at girls for five minutes, and weighing in for one team or the other. I know I called that upset from a few years back that had everybody flummoxed. They said I was crazy, but I stuck to my guns and was vindicated. The guys at work used to laugh at me, but after I called it year after year I earned their grudging respect, and by the time I retired I even had a few who would come and ask, sotto voce, for my advice prior to the big game.

See you next year...

Grey

• Haha 1

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

On 2/1/2023 at 6:29 PM, bill5 said:

if Tom Brady is an idiot, then there are a long list of idiots, meaning old quarterbacks who continued to play way after their prime.  I remember back when it seemed the Rams (L.A. old days) was getting one old quarterback after another to sit on the bench, i.e. Joe Namath.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud