Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

On Brother From Another, Michael Holley likened Baker Mayfield's situation with that of Ben Simmons (NBA player), before he was traded to the Nets. I thought that was a really apt comparison. Both seem to be sensitive guys with uneven talent who were spurned by their teams.

It's got to be a rude awakening for players who reach the pros and no longer achieve the level of success they enjoyed in high school and college. (Don't forget, Mayfield won the Heisman Trophy.) You can be one of the best players in most settings but still fail at being one of the best in what amounts to an all-star league. Even if you're a starter in the setting where only the best college players could even make the cut, you can still be called "mediocre" if you're not one of the best 5-10 players at your position in the world. In truth, every professional player (even a bench warmer) is one of the best in the world at large; but everything's relative. You can be a better athlete than 99.9% of the population and still be a failure in the pros.

(I realize I'm merely stating what we all know, but sometimes I like to look at the forest instead of the trees.)

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

@Geoff Grace, your look into the forest is revealing the truth.

Sometimes, the *best* do fall short given the conditions.  Most athletes who make it to the pros are better than average.

IMO, Johnny Manziel crashed and burned because he didn't have what it took to be a professional.  OTOH, Ryan Tannehill flamed out in Miami but got a fresh start in Tennessee. 

Baker Mayfield still has time to prove he's a better than average QB.  Whether it is Cleveland, Indy or Seattle, my advice to him would be to stop making commercials and get his head back in the game. 😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

7 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

With the obligatory "sources say" disclaimer

Watson headed to Browns

Wow! It was reported earlier that Watson told the Browns they were out of the running. It looks like they made him an offer he couldn't refuse: $230 million guaranteed.

Best,

Geoff

It used to be that it was much easier for NBA players to get what they wanted when they insisted on a trade than it was for NFL players, but the NFL sure seems to be catching up.

Starting with DeShaun Watson, who demanded a trade following the 2020 season, at first, there was plenty of pushback. But since then, a lot of dominos have fallen. Matt Stafford was granted a trade to the Rams and won a Super Bowl, Russell Wilson was finally traded this year, followed by Davante Adams, and now, finally DeShaun Watson. And once that trade has been finalized, it seems a sure bet that Baker Mayfield will get his wish to leave the Browns. These are all players who wanted out and got their wish. It even looks like Aaron Rodgers could have been traded if that's what he had chosen.

This seems like a seismic shift. What do you think?

Best,

Geoff

6 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Wow! It was reported earlier that Watson told the Browns they were out of the running. It looks like they made him an offer he couldn't refuse: $230 million guaranteed.

Best,

Geoff

To Cleveland, a quarterback with nearly two dozen sexual misconduct accusations is a better option than a quarterback who is immature.

"Here's the irony: The Browns wanted an "adult" at QB, so they acquired a new Face of the Franchise who faces 22 civil suits from women accusing him of everything from sexual misconduct to sexual assault." 

Skip Bayless

Cleveland would not be spending this kind of money if they didn't already know nothing would come of the charges, IMO

Let's hope he doesn't take a knee during the Nation Anthem else he will be done . :facepalm:

• Like 1
:nopity:

7 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

These are all players who wanted out and got their wish.

This seems like a seismic shift. What do you think?

The percentage of players capable of demanding a trade and/or having a no-trade clause in their contract is very small. 

IMO, the seismic shift started when team owners were willing to pay players astronomical salaries. 

Today's *average* player especially with 1 or 2 good seasons as a body of work makes more money than a current hall of famer. 😎 

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, Doerfler said:

To Cleveland, a quarterback with nearly two dozen sexual misconduct accusations is a better option than a quarterback who is immature.

"Here's the irony: The Browns wanted an "adult" at QB, so they acquired a new Face of the Franchise who faces 22 civil suits from women accusing him of everything from sexual misconduct to sexual assault." 

Skip Bayless

Cleveland would not be spending this kind of money if they didn't already know nothing would come of the charges, IMO

Let's hope he doesn't take a knee during the Nation Anthem else he will be done . :facepalm:

It's hard to reconcile 22 accusers with the legal cornerstone of presumed innocence until proven guilty.

Putting that off topic question aside, I agree that the values of the Browns' management can be called into question over the choices they've made.

Best,

Geoff

8 minutes ago, ProfD said:

The percentage of players capable of demanding a trade and/or having a no-trade clause in their contract is very small. 

IMO, the seismic shift started when team owners were willing to pay players astronomical salaries. 

Today's *average* player especially with 1 or 2 good seasons as a body of work makes more money than a current hall of famer. 😎 

You're right, this is a very small group that I singled out. It's just that I don't recall such a group before in the NFL.

As to your point about players' salaries, it is a shame that today's average player can earn more than our childhood heroes did. While I think athletes of the past were underpaid, I also agree that they're paid too much today.

Best,

Geoff

ESPN says my previous comparison to the Herschel Walker trade is invalid... and I agree

ESPN on the price the Browns are paying for Watson

"$80 million more than the previous high set when reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers finalized his extension with the Green Bay Packers this week."

"And three first-round draft selections and two more picks is what it took for the Texans to greenlight the trade.

The last time an NFL team surrendered that much first-round draft capital to land another player came in 1989, when the Vikings mortgaged their future to land running back Herschel Walker from Dallas"

Reads like QB Matt Ryan got the Matt Stafford treatment.

The Falcons know they aren't going anywhere before Matty Ice hangs up his cleats.

So, the birds were nice enough to trade him to a Colts team that is a QB away from making the playoffs. They (Colts) already have a solid RB and o-line.  

I guess QB Marcus Mariota's ties to Arthur Smith got him a 2 year deal to be a stopgap until they draft a QB. Maybe Mariota will have a Tannehill turnaround. 😁😎

PD

Apparently, WR Davante Adams' deal with the Raiders made it harder for the Chiefs to keep WR Tyreek Hill in the building.  

WR Tyreek Hill will make a lot of money playing for the Dolphins.  But, he will never win anothe Super Bowl ring nor have to play in the post-season. 😁😎

PD

Too bad the Dolphins don’t have a QB who can throw accurately over 30 yards.  Tyreek will die in Miami.  What lengths people will go to to avoid paying state income tax….

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

1 hour ago, GovernorSilver said:

Chiefs add ex-Packer WR

Mahomes may miss Tyreek at the moment, but I'm sure he'll make good use of MVS.  He's only one of the best AFC QBs after all.

Mahomes will definitely have to show his mettle without Tyreek. Thankfully, Kelce is still there. Hopefully, the addition of MVS and Smith-Shuster will keep the Chiefs offense to rolling.😎

PD

Marquez Valdes-Scantling is often the fastest guy on the field, but he doesn't have the best hands. Even so, he's a very good deep target. I'm sure Patrick Mahomes will be happy to have him on the team.

Davante Adams and Marquez Valdes-Scantling will be tough for Green Bay to replace. The Packers are good at drafting receivers though. I just hope it doesn't take too much time to develop them.

Best,

Geoff

Charger fan (not me) rated the Raiders as having the #1 WR trio.  10 years ago I would have said it must have been painful for him, but now the Raiders are in Vegas, there's no Al Davis, and all that.

I'm not as certain as he is about ranking the Chiefs last, followed by the Broncos, because an elite QB can turn even the most anonymous group of receivers into a very productive group and guess who the QBs are on those teams.

One fan ranking the AFC West WR trios

10 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

It looks like the Patriots are going to play without an official offensive coordinator this year:

Matt Patricia and Joe  Judge play key roles on New England Patriots' offensive staff

Prior to becoming failed head coaches, these guys were defensive coordinator and special teams coordinator respectively. 

In the article, Belicheck basically says titles are meaningless....a good coach is a good coach. 

Patricia didn't win in Detroit.  Judge's personality left much to be desired in NY. That doesn't read like a good coach. Of course, their roles are different under Belicheck.

But, it never ceases to amaze me how these unqualified guys get recycled and maintain employment while minority coaches have to jump through hoops to get a shot.😎

• Like 2

PD

The Bucs succession plan of promoting Bowles to HC was a smart move.  Former HC Bruce Arians had been lobbying for it too.

I hope the Chiefs have a similar plan whenever HC Andy Reid hangs up his whistle.  OC Eric Bienemy should get the HC gig since no other team seems to want him. 

This offseason has been a whirlwind of movement already between players switching teams and unretiring. That's before the draft.  Almost need a spreadsheet to keep up with it all. 😁😎

• Like 3

PD

Latest blockbuster trade:  Eagles and Saints

This time it's draft picks for draft picks, so it's a bit harder to assess the impact, beyond Saints stocking up 2022 picks and Eagles gaining extra 2023 picks.   

ESPN thinks the Eagles did it to hedge their bets in case Hurts doesn't pan out.  But they can't figure out the Saints' motives, as none of their first round picks are high enough to land an elite QB prospect, plus they signed Dalton and Winston.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:29 PM, ProfD said:

I know the NFL is a business but some moves just don't make sense.🤨

The Packers give Aaron Rodgers a bag of money but trade away his top receiver.🤔

Maybe the Packers have a cheaper Pro Bowl caliber WR waiting in the wings. 😁😎

It could be that Adams got sick and tired of Rogers. He's moody, selfish, and wants ALL the money. The Packers are setting themselves up for the kill.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:16 AM, ProfD said:

The Bucs succession plan of promoting Bowles to HC was a smart move.  Former HC Bruce Arians had been lobbying for it too.

I hope the Chiefs have a similar plan whenever HC Andy Reid hangs up his whistle.  OC Eric Bienemy should get the HC gig since no other team seems to want him. 

This offseason has been a whirlwind of movement already between players switching teams and unretiring. That's before the draft.  Almost need a spreadsheet to keep up with it all. 😁😎

The Rumor TV and Youtube channels are saying Brady wanted BA out as HC if they wanted him to play another season. Arians was putting his two cents into the Offensive Game Plan and Brady got tired of dealing with him. Brady worked well with both the Offense and Defensive coaches and wanted Arian out of his hair. He talked it over with the Bucks Front office and BA got kicked upstairs.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Chargers sign Deandre Carter away from Commanders

Author of the article seems to be complaining about Carter's age (28) but he's still younger than incumbent returner Andre Roberts (34).  

They're treating this position like the tight end - they let Jared Cook and an even more anonymous veteran walk, and replaced them with the younger TE from the Seahawks.  If you don't have a superstar there and can get the same production from a younger guy, makes sense to do it.

Terrible news in the NFL world...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33706232/pittsburgh-steelers-qb-dwayne-haskins-dies-being-hit-car

A young man gone way too soon. Another reminder to treat others well, cherish life and live it to the fullest. 😎

• Like 1

PD