Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

13 hours ago, bill5 said:

That's why I aid "almost" always :) And Eli Manning was easily more than an average QB.

Right.  I started to reference your "almost" always in my post.😉

I'll give QB Eli Manning above average but not elite.😁😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

On 1/9/2023 at 9:56 AM, GovernorSilver said:

Texans beat Colts but still hold on to a higher draft pick  than the Colts.   It's as if Lovie Smith knew the Texans brass was going to fire him, so he went for the win out of spite.   Thanks to the win, the Bears now sit in the way of the Texans getting the QB that they want.

Draft order

1. Bears

2. Texans

3. Cardinals

4. Colts

5. Seahawks (Russ Wilson trade)

The Bears are sitting pretty.  If they give up on Justin Fields, they can replace him with Bryce Young or CJ Stroud.   If they still like Fields, they can pretend they don't, act like they're really interested in Stroud/Young, and thus get another team to panic and trade for their spot for a princely sum.

The Bears GM, Ryan Poles, has proven to be a GM that's not afraid of bold moves. With something like $122 million and a fistful of draft picks, hopefully they will choose wisely. It was a complete teardown. I look forward to what he does next. He's saying all the right things, and is not even fully committing to Justin Fields in the press. And for the reasons you cited, he should not.

Thank you to former Bears coach Lovie Smith!

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ProfD said:

Right.  I started to reference your "almost" always in my post.😉

I'll give QB Eli Manning above average but not elite.😁😎

Maybe so, but Eli gets extra points for beating Hoody TWICE in Super Bowls. More extra points to Eli for spoiling their undefeated season. It couldn't happen to a bigger......................fill in the blank.

Mike T

• Like 2

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:23 PM, bill5 said:

Outside of SF, they're the only 13-4 team in the history of the NFL. :) But I hear you and agree. The thing is they have enough talent that when healthy can do great things. They're just inconsistent and unreliable. But no way are they even getting to the SB let alone winning it. Cousins will see to that. He's a classic good/not great QB. 

I doubt the Bears give up on Fields, although I would do it in a heartbeat and draft Young. They'll convince themselves that trading down and giving him better weapons is the answer.

Side note I find it interesting how some teams are cursed at certain positions. The Bears and Browns at QB, the Lions at RB, the Cards at TE for example. The last time any of them had a top talent (I'm not even saying best, just upper tier) at those positions is a crazy long time. The Lions is the last of any of those w/Sanders and that's 20+ yrs ago and despite drafting RBs high more than once.

Last I checked Jamaal Williams just broke Barry Sander's season team touchdown record not to mention they also have D'Andre Swift who is no slouch when healthy.  If Brad Holmes makes the right draft picks to improve the defense this is a dangerous team for the long term future.  Did I just say that as a Lions fan?!

• Cool 1

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

24 minutes ago, Polkahero said:

Last I checked Jamaal Williams just broke Barry Sander's season team touchdown record not to mention they also have D'Andre Swift who is no slouch when healthy.  If Brad Holmes makes the right draft picks to improve the defense this is a dangerous team for the long term future.  Did I just say that as a Lions fan?!

You're not seriously comparing Williams to Sanders? And Swift isn't ever healthy (a new Lions' RB tradition) and uneven at best when he is. Nah, the RB curse continues IMO. 

And yes, they show great hope for next year...but as a Lions' fan, I'm sure you know better than to fall for that. :) I hope they do well though. 

The Commanders have fired OC Scott Turner.  I hope they hire a better play-caller.  Maybe they will be able to get former HC Kliff Kingsbury to come to DC. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

33 minutes ago, bill5 said:

I think (repeat, I think) Kingsbury is underrated and getting too much blame for the Cards' problems. Their star QB hurt half the time, their star WR the same, holes everywhere....their GM is the one who needed to go. 

Agreed. The head coach is supposed to be the fall guy especially if there's nobody else to blame and/or fire.

The weirdest part is that HC Kingsbury, GM Keim and QB Murray were given new contracts after a 1st round playoff exit in 2021. 

A feww years ago, the Cards appeared to be turning a corner. Nope. The lug nuts are loose on all wheels. 😎

• Like 2

PD

"The Lug nuts are loose on all wheels" 😄 Good one Brotha D.

Speaking of loose lug nuts, that applies elsewhere in our country, but discussing Politics is not allowed here so I will put a lid on my Post.

Cheers!

Mike T

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

39 minutes ago, MikeT156 said:

discussing Politics is not allowed here

All hail the wisdom of those who run the site.

Anyway back to the NFL:  my winner picks this weekend: 

Seahawks over 49ers upset special

Bucs over Cowboys not an upset Cowboys are a joke 

Vikings over Giants but neither team really belongs flip a coin

Bills over Dolphins if Bills lose they are the laughing stock of the sports world

Ravens over Bengals see Bills, Bengals have no business losing this but they struggled against Ravens last week

Chargers over Jags but really flip a coin IMO, sucks that WIlliams is out, again 

Bill5

I HATE Dallas. I hope you are right about that game. The Bucks are the healthiest they've been all season, and unless turnovers decide the game. the Bucks should win.

I think the Bengals are a better team than last year. Unless they are asleep at the wheel they should win the game.

The Bills should walk away with that game.

That said. there's a reason I don't bet on games.

I love whoever plays Brady*. Which means they are doomed.  :)   

I thought the Bengals were better too, but they haven't been acting like it. Same with the Bills. It seems they have read too many press clips about how great they are and are complacent, like wins are going to just fall in their laps. That's a recipe for losing. Well starting this afternoon we'll see who's who!

• Like 1

I suspect that the Niners may be unstoppable.  Too many weapons.  :idk:

The McCaffrey thing took them to a whole other level, and they were pretty good before that trade…

…and that D… 😲

Plus, how can you not like Mr. Irrelevant? 😎

15 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

I HATE Dallas.

:yeahthat:

dB

• Like 2

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

6 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

41-17 Niners and I doubt they're done scoring.

Purdy playing like Montana again.

Yeah glad to be proven wrong on this game, but Purdy was mighty shaky in the first half and SEA helped them out with the turnovers and long TD to Samuel. Their D didn't pressure Smith that much and their OL was not playing well much of the game. They won't get away with some of this stuff vs a better team. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Yeah glad to be proven wrong on this game, but Purdy was mighty shaky in the first half and SEA helped them out with the turnovers and long TD to Samuel. Their D didn't pressure Smith that much and their OL was not playing well much of the game. They won't get away with some of this stuff vs a better team. 

What is this better team you're talking about?

According to everyone on the forum, such a team doesn't exist.  In the NFC anyway.

14 minutes ago, bill5 said:

? Who is saying SEA is the best team in the NFC? Missed that one, certainly not me

None of us said Seattle was the best NFC team. I think we all agreed that no NFC team is dominant. 

I still thnk the 49ers are the strongest team in thr NFC right now.

13 minutes ago, bill5 said:

Even if they lose their next game, it appears Purdy is the starter next year. So what do they do with Lance? Surely he would be attractive trade bait.

QB Trey Lance doesn't have enough work on film to be trade bait. He's still on a rookie contract.

QB Lance might be competing for his starting job  with QB Brock Purdy next season. Either way, there's probably no more room in the inn for QB Jimmy G.

Seattle was in the game for the 1st half. 49ers stepped on the gas in the 2nd and finished strong. 😎

PD

14 minutes ago, ProfD said:

QB Trey Lance doesn't have enough work on film to be trade bait. He's still on a rookie contract.

That's what makes him appealing (cheap). It's basically like getting a high draft pick QB. If I'm SF I don't know that I'd want a QB controversy next year. 

14 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Somebody on the Jaguars-Chargers crew is a Jeff Beck fan.  The just cut to commercial with "You Know What I Mean" from Blow By Blow

Oh that is awesome, missed that - finally something I don't want to mute as they go to commercial. They played a little of that song the other day after he'd passed when I was waking up on the radio channel I have on my alarm. Nice start to a day :) And I wonder how many people (esp younger people) went "whoa what was that? That sounds awesome" 

• Cool 1

Partial Quote by ProD

I still thnk the 49ers are the strongest team in thr NFC right now.

Being a PA Homer, I'm hoping the EAGLES have something to say about that 🙂

Mike T

22 minutes ago, GovernorSilver said:

Asante Samuel Jr. is having a lot of fun right now.  4 picks already and the half is not over yet.

He got some help from the refs but that's still a lot of picks for one half-game.

I think that ties the record for a playoff game.

So far so good for you Charger fans :)   Hopefully they don't pull a Colts/Vikings lol

• Haha 1