Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2022-2023 Thread

Skip Bayless' poorly-worded tweet is getting a lot of hate. I can't stand the guy, but his tweets did seem to indicate that the game is irrelevant now in light of the horrific injury. And he repeated that several times. But it doesn't help that he's an ass and he can't write his way out of a paper bag.

Anyway, best wishes for a healthy recovery for Damar Hamlin.

• Like 2

It's  on the radio all the time here with updates on his condition.  I watched that whole thing Monday.  It was sad.  I am near Buffalo so it hits hard.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

On 1/3/2023 at 12:57 PM, KenElevenShadows said:

Skip Bayless' poorly-worded tweet is getting a lot of hate.

The guy has probably never played sports but makes a living from his opinions on it often critical and/or outrageous. 

Unfortunately, Shannon Sharpe plays the foil on their show.  Even Sharpe had to take a day off after Skip's tweet.

If there is a silver lining in S Damar Hamlin's situation, it is that his heart attack occurred in a place and time that was medically equipped to save his life. 

I think we will learn that S Hamlin's event was triggered while playing the game but it is not a football related injury.

Hopefully, doctors will be able to determine if S Hamlin had an underlying condition and correct it so that the young man can resume a normal healthy life. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

6 minutes ago, ProfD said:

The guy has probably never played sports but makes a living from his opinions on it often critical and/or outrageous. 

Unfortunately, Shannon Sharpe plays the foil on their show.  Even Sharpe had to take a day off after Skip's tweet.

If there is a silver lining in S Damar Hamlin's situation, it is that his heart attack occurred in a place and time that was medically equipped to save his life. 

Hopefully, doctors will be able to determine if S Damar Hamlin had an underlying condition and correct it so that young man can resume a healthy life.  😎

Sort of a double-edge sword since his apparent blunt force trauma to stop the heart from beating at that moment also occurred in that place and time that was medically equipped to save his life. If not one, then the other is not necessary.

Regardless, yes, perhaps doctors can determine if he had an underlying condition that exacerbated this. I hope he can recover.

2 minutes ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Sort of a double-edge sword since his apparent blunt force trauma to stop the heart from beating at that moment also occurred in that place and time that was medically equipped to save his life. If not one, then the other is not necessary.

Sure.  This event will raise awareness of CPR training and insuring medical equipment is available wherever contact sports are played at every level. 😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

1 hour ago, ProfD said:

It's a legitimate question.   People can do two things at once.... care for his condition.....ask how the league is gonna handle a postponement.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

On 1/2/2023 at 9:16 AM, ProfD said:

The Steelers can keep head coach Mike Tomlin's streak of never having a losing season with a win against the Browns. 😎

Hey Brotha D

I didn't think that the Steelers were going to beat the Ravens the 2nd time around, they got rolled over in the first game. but were able to pull it off. The Steelers got run over by the Browns in the first game, and now they have Watson whose shaking the rust off and playing better. I hope its a good game. Whether the Steelers win or lose, Mike Tomlin has done a great job of starting from scratch with what looked like the JV team and won some games. He's the man. Next season should see an improvement in their win-loss record.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

33 minutes ago, MikeT156 said:

Hey Brotha D

I didn't think that the Steelers were going to beat the Ravens the 2nd time around, they got rolled over in the first game. but were able to pull it off. The Steelers got run over by the Browns in the first game, and now they have Watson whose shaking the rust off and playing better. I hope its a good game. Whether the Steelers win or lose, Mike Tomlin has done a great job of starting from scratch with what looked like the JV team and won some games. He's the man. Next season should see an improvement in their win-loss record.

It's the last game of the season.  Finish strong and healthy.  The AFC North won't get an easier but next season will definitely be better for Steelers fans.😎

PD

At last we will know the playoff picture after this week. Then there's the inevitable separating the wheat from the chaff in the first week or two of playoffs. This year it seems like an unusual amount of teams who will get in the playoffs but don't really belong there...but as they say the playoffs start with everyone 0-0 so anything is possible. 

1 minute ago, bill5 said:

NFL just announced the Benagls vs Bills game will not be rescheduled/played. IMO that makes zero sense. It's not like playing the game would be disrespectful in any way. Oh well

They should cancel the season.  Any NFL play going forward is disrespectful to his injury.

And by logical extension, they need to cancel the NFL.

This is actually coming much faster than my prediction that American football would be cancelled by life changing injuries at the HS Level.

It really makes logical sense given that the goal of the game is to injure your opponent, just like Boxing.

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I don't know how many people you will get to agree with you. Football is not for everyone, but the American version is deep seated in our culture. Parents that don't want their children to play have the right to say no. Others will play.

Mike T.

• Like 1

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

t's the last game of the season.  Finish strong and healthy.  The AFC North won't get an easier but next season will definitely be better for Steelers fans.😎

Agreed. We don't care for the Browns, Even Less for the Ravens.

3 minutes ago, MikeT156 said:

I don't know how many people you will get to agree with you. Football is not for everyone, but the American version is deep seated in our culture. Parents that don't want their children to play have the right to say no. Others will play.

Mike T.

Agree with you, but people are only now being made aware of the debilitating injuries that had been previously suppressed during the deep seating of the culture.  You also have to question how youngsters are being taken advantage of.   Do parents have the right to put their child in harm's way?

--

Yamaha C7D

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Not everyone is big enough and strong enough to play football. Parents have the right to say no.

They also have the right to go to school board meetings and tell the board when they do not like what their children are being taught. If that happens they have the Right to take them out of school and put them in a non-public school, if they can afford it.

• Like 1

Football is a contact sport.  Injuring the opponent is not the goal. 

The objective of football is to out-score the opponent and keep them from scoring. 

The sweet science of boxing is to outscore the opponent.  Of course scoring points mean punching someone else in the face and body.  Folks do get knocked out.  Boxers have taken a blow and/or fell and hit their head hard enough to cause traumatic injury and even death.  They understand the risk.

My point is that when it comes to any sport, folks have a choice in whether or not they choose to play

Same goes for whether folks choose to watch sports.😎

• Like 2

PD

Brotha D

Football is safer than its ever been. I was watching film from the Steelers Training camp and saw these huge practice helmets on the players, something I was not aware of previously. The NFL is doing its best to protect the players while still keeping the popularity of the game. Lets face it, the NFL generates a lot of $$$ and is more popular than ever. I hope the game never goes away,.

I'd love to see the Steelers beat the Browns and the Cammanders vanquish the Cowbums!

Mike T.

2 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

Steelers Training camp and saw these huge practice helmets on the players...

The NFL is doing its best to protect the players while still keeping the popularity of the game.

Lets face it, the NFL generates a lot of $$$ and is more popular than ever. I hope the game never goes away

I'd love to see the Steelers beat the Browns and the Cammanders vanquish the Cowbums!

Those huge practice helmets look silly as h8ll.  Reminds me of the over-sized characters running around at halftime.🤣

The NFL is a multibillion dollar business.  They will do whatever it takes to protect the brand.  Football isn't going anywhere.  Especially not when injured players give the thumbs up in one way or another. 

When S Damar Hamlin had a chance to write yesterday, one of the questions he asked was...did they win the game Monday night.  His dad encouraged the Bills to go out and play ball.

It would be great if both the Steelers and Commanders could win their last game of the season.  I feel better about the former than the latter. 😎

• Like 1

PD

The Commanders have a big challenge. And you know from past Posts I spoke about how little I like the Cowbums. If the Commanders can get an early turn over it could go a long way in Dallas having to play catch up and make another mistake. So, Is Wentz starting again?

Watson is looking like his old self lately. He's been scrambling out of tackles and is not a BACK UP qb. The Browns are not going to lay down.

Mike T.

6 hours ago, MikeT156 said:

The Commanders have a big challenge.

So, Is Wentz starting again?

Nope. 3rd string QB Sam Howell will be starting against the Cowbums on Sunday. 

3 hours ago, Doerfler said:

Wentz has been demoted to bench warmer, doubtful he will ever take another snap for the DC team

I hope QB Carson Wentz  is 1 and done here. I've seen enough to know he isn't our franchise QB.

There's no reason for the Commanders to  waste a pile of money bringing another washed up vet to DC either. 

The Seahawks and 49ers have already  proven what a team can accomplish with a bargain QB.

The Commanders should roll with QBs Taylor Heinicke and Sam Howell until  we find a franchise QB.😎

• Like 1

PD

No Matter how good a QB's arm is. throwing into double and triple coverage results in Picks.

Chirs Simms is picking the Browns to win against the Steelers who are favored 2 1/2 points to win. DeShawn is playing better and the Steelers were not able to stop Chubb in the last game and ran all over them. 

Cowbums are favored by 7 and Simms and Florio are picking Dallas to win.

I hope they're wrong, Either way the Steelers are going to be better next season. The Commanders should look for a different QB than Wentz who was paid a huge Contract.

Anyone who thinks Wentz starting QB material needs their head examined. He's proven over and over and over he isn't. 

I hope the Lions beat the Rodgerses, I mean the Packers. They've really come on in the second half of the season. And Goff has looked like a viable QB, though I still question if he's the long-term answer. 

• Like 1

Personally, I dislike Rogers, not so much about football, but his personal life. In friendships and relationships its Roger's way or the highway. His long term girl friend gave him several chances to have a 50 50 relationship with her, but she got the same results, it was Rogers way or the highway, so finally, she took the highway. Smart lady. Better to be alone than bad company.

Mike T.

1 hour ago, surfergirl said:

I like Goff a lot better than most people. I've been hoping for Lions/Rams super bowl, with the Goff and the Lions beating Stafford and the Rams since the trade. 

He does, and he's a great passer. I saw him play a decent amount when he played with the Rams, and he generally looked decent if often lackluster. I'm just not sure what to make of him, but when I've seen him with the Lions, he looks like a legit NFL QB and his passing is on point. 

That would be an interesting Super Bowl for sure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeT156 said:

Personally, I dislike Rogers, not so much about football, but his personal life. In friendships and relationships its Roger's way or the highway. His long term girl friend gave him several chances to have a 50 50 relationship with her, but she got the same results, it was Rogers way or the highway, so finally, she took the highway. Smart lady. Better to be alone than bad company.

Mike T.

I can't stand the guy. It's just so much because I'm a Bears fan. I just can't stand the guy. Favre, whoever, fine, I suppose, but Rodgers? Nope.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, surfergirl said:

I like Goff a lot better than most people. I've been hoping for Lions/Rams super bowl, with the Goff and the Lions beating Stafford and the Rams since the trade. 

Unfortunately that's not possible since they're both in the NFC. :)  But I do like the angle too. The Lions appear to be turning the corner into a legit team, but that's been said too many times for Lions fans to bite. Next year looks promising though. 

Jags were basically gifted a win tonight that they didn't really earn. Realistically they should get an early exit from the playoffs as the worst team in the playoffs, but anything can happen... 

• Like 1

Jason Statham was quickly brought back to Earth by the Chiefs, after a surprising coming out party against the Niners.   

Jaguars surprisingly struggled against an undermanned Titans squad.  If their first playoff matchup is against the Chargers, they'll be confident because they plastered that team 38-10 in the regular season.

The TV crew for the Ravens-Bengals game said John Harbaugh is playing backups on purpose to get the team angry for the playoffs.   And here I was thinking the reason 3rd-string QB Anthony Brown and Co. are playing today is because of injuries.