Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some keys on my Code61 playing 2 notes at once :(

This began happening overnight. I've been using an M-audio Code61 to control an HX3 organ module for the past month without problem.  Then today (keys have been set up overnight) 3 keys are acting up; playing 2 notes at once, themselves and the semitone above. Weirdly the glitch repeats using those same keys TWO octaves above and below... the glitch skips an octave. I've attached the MIDI-OX output for just one of the 3 problem notes, Eb, played an octave apart. Ebs 2, 4, and 6 play a double-note. Definitely the Code at fault as I can hear the double-note whether the Code is controlling the organ module, an Electro or computer sound card.

I first suspected dirt under the keybed strip (an occasional Nord problem resulting in max volume from one isolated key) but the "every second octave" pattern wouldn't seem to to have such a cause?

Perhaps some sort of factory reset might clear it? I'll look into that, but any ideas are appreciated :)

Code61 double-triggering-standard-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact it "resolved for no obvious reason" would make me a little nervous about using this keyboard on a gig. If this happened with my controller I would probably open it up, disassemble the keyboard so I could clean the key contact pads with ipa, and re-seat all connectors. That's my usual "fishing expedition" electronics diagnosis and repair technique. I hope you don't see see a repeat performance of your issue - good luck!

Thanks Reezekeys. A potential reason MAY be that I rebooted the keyboard after having done the factory reset. I was becoming less slow and methodical though and can't be absolutely sure that the reboot immediately did the trick.

• 2 weeks later...

Uh-oh! It's happening again! Slightly different pattern; the same Eb's are clashing, two octaves apart as in my OP MIDI-Ox example, but now the semitone doubling is between the key (Eb) struck and the semitone below. Previously it was with the semitone *above. 🤪 Almost like a 'short' between adjacent keys, but why repeat 2 octaves apart? Could that indicate a fault elsewhere?

We have had days of steady rain recently and everything feels damp, which may be exacerbating the problem, but I think a strip-down and clean as suggested by Reezekeys is in my future.

try giving the board a thorough cleaning including the rubber contacts.  If that doesnt fix it you'll need to take it in for service.  I use a code 61 to trigger VB3ii.  Hope mine doesnt develop your issue.  I like the keyboard and would buy it again.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band