Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you read the funnies?

If so, what's your favorite old standby?

What's your favorite new comic strip?

And, "why?" for each answer...

I'll admit, I don't follow the funnies as much as in the old days. Some are pretty lame, some seem to be pretty good...but, just thought I'd toss this out.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Mary Worth is one hot mama...and those kooks over in Apartment 3G... :freak:

My favorite new one is Get Fuzzy. Very Bloom County sense of style without the highbrow sensibilities.

"For instance" is not proof.

I read them whenever i get a chance (as a 17 year old its not all bad, gotta keep the "inner child" alive and kickin)

I like "Zits" its a keeper.

"Cliff Burton (the "Major rager of the 4-string mother f***er", from Metallica)" Direct quote from Wikipedia (censored out of respect for the forum)

- Captain Ribman

- Calvin and Hobbes (I grew up on this stuff and emulated Calvin and had a stuffed tiger named Hobbes)

- Fox Trot

- Garfield (rarely)

- Mr. Boffo

other ones are escaping my mind at the moment..

Calvin & Hobbes is an all time great; ever notice that it invokes the names of two old-time philosophers & that Hobbes ("Life is short & brutal") is portrayed as a carnivore? The way it drifted in & out of "reality", especially in depictions of Hobbes as a toy/real creature was :cool:

Far Side had it's moments.

Bloom County fans can get with the resurrected Opus strip. Very modern graphics.

There's a fairly new one called Boondocks that features some feisty urban kids.

Kinda Chalie Brown X Doonesbury. Check it!

boondocks.net

Then there's the op/ed/letters page; in many papers it's hilarious...'til you remember the ideas expressed are what some actually think.

Fave oldies? Doonesbury, Calvin & Hobbes, Lil Abner (back before Al Capp went 'round the bend), and Dick Tracy.

The cool new kids on the block? Boondocks, Pibgorn (from Brooke McEldowney who also does 9 Chickweed Lane), Get Fuzzy, Frazz, Rose is Rose, and a couple of 'net only strips - Antihero for Hire and Clan of the Cats.

I run a great little app called iComic that retrieves comics from the web so I've got 'em all in one place. It's open-source and very cool. Sorry, Windows guys, but it's Mac only.

Oops, almost forget another new strip that I'm really digging - Rob Harrell's "Big Top"

"Zits" is my favorite, he's almost a grown-up Calvin.

Old favorites are the ones who retired too early: Calvin & Hobbs, Far Side, & Bloom County (thank goodness "Opus" is back, but already the moral Mormons have complained about the inflatable toys in the strip, and its no longer published on the front page).

My complaint is the strips that SHOULD retire, but aren't: Peanuts (he's dead already, quit publishing reruns, there's enough out-of-work cartoonists out there), Garfield (an absolutely brilliant strip when it first came out, just garbage now), Cathy (fortunately my paper dropped her, talk about formula) and BC (I don't need religious rantings in my comics, thank you very much).

Good OT thread, Tedster!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I forgot about "Zits" - good stuff, reminds me of myself at that age.

I have wanted to start a webcomic for quite some time, I have alot of humor between a friend and I that occurs in real life that'd be a nice basis, but drawing is frustrating.

Comics are pretty much the main reason I subscribe to the paper.

Get Fuzzy

Frazz

Zits

Doonesbury

Rudy Park

Mutts (#1 favorite; my wife and I call each other Mooch and Shmillie)

Heart Of THe City

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

As for old comics, I was really getting at "old comics that are still being run". Personally, IMO, "Calvin and Hobbes" and "The Far Side" are two of the greatest moments in the history of the funny papers, as was "Peanuts", but Botch is right, it needs to retire. Stockpile the old ones on the web for those who want to continue reading, as they've done with "Calvin". And, for what it's worth, Watterson is a chump for retiring :D

As for old ones still running, I rather like "Funky Winkerbean" for its occasional foray into serious issues...breast cancer for instance. For office workers that deal routinely with the idiocy of management, Dilbert can be a hoot. I've been getting a kick out of the new "Opus" strip, can't say whether it qualifies as new or old...I'd have to say "old" because of Opus and Bill the Cat. As for new ones, "Pearls Before Swine" is rather interesting. Yesterday's strip caught my attention, a big jab at the idiocy of editors keeping the funnies toned down. If I can find it, I'll post it.

I haven't warmed as much as I need to

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I suppose I should not assume that you all know Calvin and Hobbes is a 'given', for me...

(I should also add Funky Winkerbean/Crankshaft to my original list.)

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Archived