Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First 2022 Gig a Success. New Setup

It was so good to get back on the stage this past weekend. Had a great show at one of our favorite smaller venues.

I rolled out my new setup for real this time.

Boards:

Komplete Kontrol S61 MKii

Roland RD-88

In The Rack:

Late 2018 Mac Mini 32gb Ram, 256gb internal SSD, 2 TB External SSD

Focusrite 18i20 Gen 3

My custom i/o/panel

Monitor for Mac Mini:

Late 2013 Macbook Pro 13" connected to Mac Mini via Ethernet cable

I have retired my Rolls PM351 In ear mixer that would feed my wireless ears. Lately its been introducing a lot of noise, and nothing we, and experienced engineers do can fix it.

Since all these venues where the house provides production let us have the WiFi to control our ear mixes, I don't really need it anyway. I pretty much have every Mixing App on my iPad. I really like Mixing Station. It's generic and has been solid regardless of system I'm connecting.

Without the Rolls, how am I going to receive and plug into the monitor feed.

Enter my Focusrite. Made life easy

Engineer hands me the ear feed, and I plug it into the front of the Focusrite.

Thru the software, I setup the Focusrite to route that (those) hardware inputs to a specific pair of audio outputs that drive the headphone outputs. Plug my ears in that , and I'm golden.

I route the audio out Left and Right from my RD-88 to the i/o panel on the back. My Focusrite routes incoming audio thru Mainstage, and finally the main outputs (1 and 2 from Mainstage) route to the Mains Outputs that go to FOH.

It's a lot simpler than it appears.

All in all, success. My in ear mix hasn't been this clean, or had such spatial headroom...ever. Absolutely zero noise. I was honestly listening to a really nice iPod type mix, and could hear every nuance of everything. No ear fatigue.

My iPad sat next to me so I could make real time adjustments to the Aux channel assigned to me.

Since this is a smaller stage, the rack sat on its end, with my Macbook on top.

I did not use my Wireless ears that I have in the rack. I wanted to make sure the basic new way of doings things is solid first. When I do go wireless, I have a trs input on my i/o panel that takes my XLR to 1/4" TRS cable for the Monitor feed., then routes to the back of the Shure PSM300

I did have one fumble: While reaching for something, I swiped my iPad screen, and apparently turned my vocals all the way up in my ears...... Other than that, no issues

As far as software:

I used some highly edited Mainstage Sounds, Arturia for synth sounds.

I layered some NI "The Grandeur" with Piano tones from the RD-88. Mainstage handled changing the "Scenes" on the RD88 as needed.

I did use Keyscape and Omnisphere on a couple songs where there are multiple things happening with the piano and pads. I am still in learn mode with Omnisphere, so it will be a bit. I did find their Hardware tone from the Jupiter 8 that I tweaked a bit and used for the body of Separate Ways. Damn that was fatttttt.

The highest I ever pegged the CPU meter on my Mainstage display was 35% when playing a song that used layered sounds from RD-88, and a duo tone from Keyscape (LA Piano/La Rhodes) and "80's synth pad" from the ES2 in Mainstage

Now that I know my new hardware/virtual integration setup works, it is time to get back to programming

Peace out!

Tight stage. Sound check before cleaning up cables

pN0AYt.jpg

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool, thanks for the update!

Quick question- from following your posts, I recall that you have used Gig Performer in the past- just wondering if your use of Mainstage in this instance is because you are more familiar with it, and trying to keep the initial use of this rig as familiar as possible?

(I'm asking because I'm thinking of taking the plunge into using a laptop on stage, and thus wondering if I should be plunging into Gig Performer or Mainstag (to replace my current Roland RD64/VR09 combo with some iPad supplementing). I have the Arturia V5 suite, and am considering getting Kontakt.

My Mainstage concerts were ready to go. I just had to assign the boards and add the external channel strip for the RD88

Once I am comfortable with Omnisphere I will most likely get back to Gig Performer. I will need to program the concerts from the ground up

The cool thing is I have backups for the back ups.

If Gig Performer takes a dive, I just have to fire up Mainstage.

Also, my old MacBook Pro I use as monitor and input (keys and track pad ) also has a version of my concerts with mostly apple sounds and some Arturia. So if my MacMini went down, I could limp thru the show.

So far in my Gig Performer testing, it really handles the heavy lifting for Omnisphere wonderfully

I"m really liking their straight forward scripting as well

You can"t go wrong with either.

Mainstage is an incredible value at $29 given all the sounds that come with, as well as the Sampler.

David

Thanks for the post, amazing detail as usual!

Basic ques: on gig day, how long does the setup take, soup to nuts? (minus all the pre-programming of software)

I've never timed it. Most places we play we're the only act, so I have all day to set up :)

However, when pressed, I have done it in 15 minutes

• Unfold Gibraltar stand
  • Place keyboards on stand
  • Plug in the sustain and expression pedals (1 each)
  • Open rack lids
  • Connect the two USB cables and the stereo audio cable to rack panel
  • Plug in RD88 power to rack power strip
  • Plug rack power to house power
  • Push button on front of Rackmac Mini enclosure to turn on Mac Mini
  • Open Macbook Pro and connect Ethernet cable from Mini
  • Launch Mainstage
  • Wait for FOH to hook me up :)

On Festival shows where acts are rotating, I have my Gibraltar Drum Rack wheels attached. I also have an extension arm that holds the rack.

I set up everything back stage where our drummer is setting up on the second rolling riser.

Then as the prior act is leaving, I simply roll my rig into place, ready to go.

The above routines are simply things I've developed over the years to streamline things. My bands mates are the same in that they pre-stage as much as possible, so when it's our time, the sound engineers aren't waiting on us. This goes a very long way towards them having a good attitude about us, and doing their best to make us sound good FOH :)

David

Thanks for the that and thank you for the lead on Mixing Station. I've got every mixer app as I've encountered them, and this sounds like a great solution to have just one consolldated app. Only issue is I didn't see any of the Yamaha stuff on there.

I too am gradually making the switch to Gig Performer from Mainstage. Though I haven't had any real issues with Mainstage. I'm now using it more for auxiliary sounds, and like GP's leaner interface and smaller footprint.

Cheers.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I think "I could limp through the show" is one of the Top 10 audio commandments, because it WILL happen. You can have an accordion handy, but if the power goes out, its Test Time.

I was a brave fool who did it all with a Korg 01Wfd for some time. The power went south once and the crowd went AWWWW. I immediately sang a bawdy Monty Python song and right at the end, the lights popped on to a crowd cheer. I said "Incontinence Hotline, hold, please" and reloaded the Korg pretty easily. A fun moment, but still, BE PREPARED! :eek:;)

"It ain't over 'til the fat despot sings."
     ~ "X-Men '97"

Thanks for the post, amazing detail as usual!

Basic ques: on gig day, how long does the setup take, soup to nuts? (minus all the pre-programming of software)

I've never timed it. Most places we play we're the only act, so I have all day to set up :)

However, when pressed, I have done it in 15 minutes

• Unfold Gibraltar stand
  • Place keyboards on stand
  • Plug in the sustain and expression pedals (1 each)
  • Open rack lids
  • Connect the two USB cables and the stereo audio cable to rack panel
  • Plug in RD88 power to rack power strip
  • Plug rack power to house power
  • Push button on front of Rackmac Mini enclosure to turn on Mac Mini
  • Open Macbook Pro and connect Ethernet cable from Mini
  • Launch Mainstage
  • Wait for FOH to hook me up :)

On Festival shows where acts are rotating, I have my Gibraltar Drum Rack wheels attached. I also have an extension arm that holds the rack.

I set up everything back stage where our drummer is setting up on the second rolling riser.

Then as the prior act is leaving, I simply roll my rig into place, ready to go.

The above routines are simply things I've developed over the years to streamline things. My bands mates are the same in that they pre-stage as much as possible, so when it's our time, the sound engineers aren't waiting on us. This goes a very long way towards them having a good attitude about us, and doing their best to make us sound good FOH :)

wow 15 min you rock! ([font:Book Antiqua]as I sheepishly admit my 1/2 hr setup for my much less complex setup[/font])

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

If Gig Performer takes a dive, I just have to fire up Mainstage.

Uhm....normally it's the other way round. If it wasn't, we'd never have bothered to invent Gig Performer :-)

Just saying :-)

I know :) I have NEVER had GP fail me on Gigs. It is rock solid, and as I said above, now that I am moving to a lot of Omnisphere things, GP will be my default. with MS as the backup :2thu:

For this test run I didn't want too many different variables, so I went with a Mainstage concert already set up

David

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing the latest on the new rig! I am always completely fascinated with your posts and your ever-evolving rig.

I am curious given how often you change your gear and how a lot of your gig seems to be dependent on laptop-based sounds...

Have you ever built your rig based completely on hardware (recently) so you could be less dependent of things like Mainstage and soft synths? As one who has never trusted any big or small gigs to software, I think it would be quite possible to do a Journey tribute on one or two trustworthy keyboards, perhaps a solid digital piano and a stage keyboard like a Nord Stage or similar.

I know you have everything dialed in with these various bits of your rig, though I just wonder if you've thought about a simpler option for your gigs?

Thanks and cheers!

Eric

In a similar vein, and being partly inspired by your rack, David - and partly being forced into itâ¦

On NYE, I subbed for a band where the keys player always hires a couple of Motifs on the backline rider.

Bandleader sent me the rider and I changed that to a Nord Stage X 88 or Kronos 73/88 and a Kronos 61.

I have loads of sounds ready to go on the Kronos and the Nord is easy to navigate quickly.

Obviously, turned up and there are two Motifs set on stage. I'd never played one and many many buttons that didn't seem to do much, and no touchscreen befuddled me!

Always got my laptop with me so quickly set some stuff up in Mainstage while waiting for the drummer. Just basic strings of a few types, brass, and a few synth bits. Had to download a driver for the Mac to see MIDI over USB from the Motif - but that was pretty painless.

And for the third or so time trying, I really enjoyed the laptop 'thing'!

9M6bwxR.jpg

A work in progressâ¦

So, as you can see, the iConnectivity MIDI4 for regular MIDI with keys that don't play well with/don't have USB MIDI (like an old Yammy P95 which I sometimes drag out cause it's light, and the Audio 2+ for 4x outputs and an input for my acoustic, which comes out rarely.

An Integra for backup.

Patch panel (which I'm going to replace with a 12 connector version - just had this 8 hole one lying around)

⢠Integra Out L/R

⢠MIDI in 1

⢠MIDI in 2

⢠Mainstage out L/R (will add another 2x outs in case I want to split organ or synths/bass etc.)

⢠Will add 2x USB ins for bus power and MIDI when my Arturia Keylabs arrive. (88 and a 61)

⢠AC Power in and a loop out.

In the back is an OWC USB C hub where everything ends up and a dangling USB C cable for the MacBook - both power and USB. One power brick split between the iConnectivity interfaces, and the 20V? brick for the hub.

IEC for those and the Integra. All currently just dangling in Wago 5 way connectors - which I should get a Wago box for - although they're really safe enough.

It's a bit of a squeeze but first tests - all is working as it should (I still hate the software for the iConnectivity stuff, but - either that or put in my XR18 as in interface which means a bigger rack)

Set up should be - unfold my Spider Pro, place keyboards, plug in 2x USB cables and the Powercon. Plug in and open laptop.

EDIT: I did toy with the idea of using the Integra as the USB interface, and the 5pin MIDI backup, which would have saved a lot of cables and a rack space, but, the sound thru it is markedly different and much less natural than the iConnectivity. Very treble-y and sounded quite compressed⦠I think all the FX etc. were bypassed!

Always got my laptop with me so quickly set some stuff up in Mainstage while waiting for the drummer. Just basic strings of a few types, brass, and a few synth bits. Had to download a driver for the Mac to see MIDI over USB from the Motif - but that was pretty painless.

And for the third or so time trying, I really enjoyed the laptop 'thing'!

Excellent

Always good to have a plan, especially if presented with unknown gear.

I always have two versions each of my Mainstage and Gig Performer Concerts

1 - in standard tuning

1 a 1/2 step down (for when we have 3 straight shows and our voices say "help" :) )

For a true Fly in, I do have a beefier Macbook Pro that Mainstage is setup for generic controllers, in case back line is messed up

Again, just things I've learned over the years that work for me

Sounds like you handled your situation perfectly :thu:

David

Nice rig Dave. Not quite ready to take the computer plunge for live yet, but am thinking about building a rack and a Gibraltar stand similar to your setup here.

Reach out anytime if/when you get to that point. More than happy to consult on this

David

... pre-stage as much as possible, so when it's our time, the sound engineers aren't waiting on us. This goes a very long way towards them having a good attitude about us, and doing their best to make us sound good FOH :)
Just had to Q this FT.

Cheers, Mike.

I come in and "teach" now and then at one of the rock school nearby. I assist in the production, getting ready for gig, learning days. The above is something I preach to the kids. Be prepared, ask and listen to the engineers, have an input list (when that time comes) and setup and get out of their way.. among other things.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing the latest on the new rig! I am always completely fascinated with your posts and your ever-evolving rig.

I am curious given how often you change your gear and how a lot of your gig seems to be dependent on laptop-based sounds...

Have you ever built your rig based completely on hardware (recently) so you could be less dependent of things like Mainstage and soft synths? As one who has never trusted any big or small gigs to software, I think it would be quite possible to do a Journey tribute on one or two trustworthy keyboards, perhaps a solid digital piano and a stage keyboard like a Nord Stage or similar.

I know you have everything dialed in with these various bits of your rig, though I just wonder if you've thought about a simpler option for your gigs?

Thanks and cheers!

Eric

The basics of my rig have always been centered around "what if I had to use hardware boards only" Sometimes, depending on the venue, that what I go with.

One thing that is a constant, when using my computer based rig: one of the boards is ALWAYS a hardware board. When it gets down to it, that's my true backup.

I also have a couple scenarios setup on my Hardware boards. As an example, if I feel like using the Nautlus, I have two different Setlist Mode set. One where all the programs are designed to work with Mainstage, and one without. I just choose which setlist I open on the Nautilus.

On the RD-88 I save two different setting as well to a backup USB stick, and just load whichever one I'm using that night.

For those following along, while it seems complicated, the so called complication is in the preparation. I spend hours at home down in my "lab" programming, trying different combinations of setups, and so forth. Once I am happy, I then further design the overall stage rig to be a streamline load-in and setup process on gig day.

I then take what I learn at the gig, what worked or what needs improvement, and work it out back in the "lab". Trust me, there's been a bunch of shows where an idea seemed good, and then I get to the show and wonder what the hell was I thinking

That's one of the cool things since I went with the Gibraltar stuff since it's totally modular. I know I've mentioned it before: Depending on type of gig, and venue, I have several attachments and/or configurations ready to go.

Doing all this is relaxing for me. I enjoy tinkering. Plus, overall, it has improved my on stage demeanor and playing by taking my stress level to zero on how I'm going to set up any particular show.

David

The basics of my rig have always been centered around "what if I had to use hardware boards only" Sometimes, depending on the venue, that what I go with.

One thing that is a constant, when using my computer based rig: one of the boards is ALWAYS a hardware board. When it gets down to it, that's my true backup.

I also have a couple scenarios setup on my Hardware boards. As an example, if I feel like using the Nautlus, I have two different Setlist Mode set. One where all the programs are designed to work with Mainstage, and one without. I just choose which setlist I open on the Nautilus.

On the RD-88 I save two different setting as well to a backup USB stick, and just load whichever one I'm using that night.

For those following along, while it seems complicated, the so called complication is in the preparation. I spend hours at home down in my "lab" programming, trying different combinations of setups, and so forth. Once I am happy, I then further design the overall stage rig to be a streamline load-in and setup process on gig day.

I then take what I learn at the gig, what worked or what needs improvement, and work it out back in the "lab". Trust me, there's been a bunch of shows where an idea seemed good, and then I get to the show and wonder what the hell was I thinking

That's one of the cool things since I went with the Gibraltar stuff since it's totally modular. I know I've mentioned it before: Depending on type of gig, and venue, I have several attachments and/or configurations ready to go.

Doing all this is relaxing for me. I enjoy tinkering. Plus, overall, it has improved my on stage demeanor and playing by taking my stress level to zero on how I'm going to set up any particular show.

This is all fantastic advice. Thanks again for the inspiration, David.