Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi Board with speakers

This kind of relates to my previous comments about the CT-S1 but does anyone know of an 88 key GHS Midi controller with its own speakers. So no need to have any onboard sounds, all I want to to is use it play my iPad VSTs but have the sound come back out through the board (rather than an external speaker attached to the iPad). This is basically what I do with my little CT-S1 a lot of the time but I just need more 61 synth keys and want to keep the setup as slim (and low cost) as possible and work with what have already go. Does such a thing even exist

Commenst/suggestions as always super welcome and appreciated

:)

does anyone know of an 88 key GHS Midi controller with its own speakers.

"GHS" is Yamaha's basic hammer action, but I assume that any 88 would be under consideration (or at least other hammer action models), and they don't have to be Yamahas.

no need to have any onboard sounds, all I want to to is use it play my iPad VSTs but have the sound come back out through the board (rather than an external speaker attached to the iPad).

I've never seen a soundless board with speakers. I think you'd just need to look at boards that have minimal onboard sounds, but have speakers AND some kind of audio input to get sound from your iPad.

want to keep the setup as slim (and low cost) as possible

The lower cost 88-key possibilities that come to mind are:

* Kurzweil KA90 (or, presumably, one of its near-twins)... The speakers are really good for a low cost slab, it has line level inputs, the iPad sits nicely, it even has pitch bend. Sounds are weak, but of course, you don't care about that. Feel isn't too different from Yamaha GHS. The downside is that it is not slim. Also, it's price seems to have gone up recently. But I've got one around I have to get around to listing in the Garage Sale. ;-)

* Casio CDP-S150... lighter and much slimmer than the Kurzweil, I wouldn't expect as much from its speakers.

* Numa Compact 2... super slim and lightweight, has pitch and mod controls, and it takes audio in over USB rather than line input, which could be an advantage if you have an iPad that doesn't have a headphone jack. It has aftertouch. But the keys are closer to synth feeling than piano feeling. You could also look at the 2X model which would add 9 definable MIDI sliders. Either way, the speakers are unimpressive, but may be suitable for your needs. (Also something that should be ending up in the Garage Sale...)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

depending on your price range, the Yamaha P-125 might work: it has speakers, a decent 88-key hammer action, and a built-in USB audio interface so you only need a single USB cable to carry both audio and MIDI data. it's not really a MIDI controller though, so it doesn't have any expression controls (not even pitch bend).
  • Like 1

depending on your price range, the Yamaha P-125 might work: it has speakers, a decent 88-key hammer action, and a built-in USB audio interface so you only need a single USB cable to carry both audio and MIDI data. it's not really a MIDI controller though, so it doesn't have any expression controls (not even pitch bend).

Ah, I didn't know that the P-125 did audio over USB, so yeah, another possibility there... and it's even GHS!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Ah, I didn't know that the P-125 did audio over USB, so yeah, another possibility there... and it's even GHS!

i was surprised too - i don't have one myself but i played around with someone else's and it worked well with both iOS and VST sounds, plus it has proper 1/4" TS outputs if you don't want to use the built-in speakers. for something sold as a lower-end digital piano, it's surprisingly featureful - the organ sound even has a Leslie speed switch on the sustain pedal...

Sorry - yes didn't mean GHS, just meant weighted! TBH the quality of the speaker output is most important, the action would be secondary. So impressed with the CT-S1 in regards to the onboard speakers, Trying to avoid paying for voices/functionality whch would largely be redundant

Am eagerly awaiting Casio's forthcoming CDP S110 and CDP S160 as this might tick all the boxes but no sign of when it will be aviable in Europe yet

Yamaha P125 +1 that was my first thought. Could the even cheaper P45 pull the same trick?

The Casios offer audio-over-bluetooth, not USB, which might be higher latency, no? (I remember asking Mike Martin the question here regarding the CT-S1). Or, if you have an iPad with a headphone socket, go into the (analogue) LINE IN sockets.

Cheers, Mike.

Yamaha P125 +1 that was my first thought. Could the even cheaper P45 pull the same trick?

The Casios offer audio-over-bluetooth, not USB, which might be higher latency, no? (I remember asking Mike Martin the question here regarding the CT-S1). Or, if you have an iPad with a headphone socket, go into the (analogue) LINE IN sockets.

Cheers, Mike.

The P45 is from an older generation of models that didn't have audio over USB.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments