Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just discovered Lawrence

Just heard Lawrence song in a Microsoft Surface commercial. I think those young folks are going places with their music. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Just heard Lawrence song in a Microsoft Surface commercial. I think those young folks are going places with their music. :D:cool:

Hey, if they have an agent, entertainment lawyer, are savvy business people themselves... good for them. Technology has made it very easy to put out a record. But it's just as hard as it ever was to get anyone to listen to it or earn a buck from it.

I wonder how many players/singers they can put on the stage and still head home with more than what it cost to get to the gig. You have to fill a pretty good size club to pay everyone in a 10, 12, 14+ person band.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Outstanding. Makes me wish Keyboard magazine was still in print so I could put them on the cover and have Regen do the interview!

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Yes the same thing happened to me this week. Had never heard of these two until this thread and the next day they"re advertising computers on my TV. They must be going ok.

FWIW I like them.

Yes the same thing happened to me this week. Had never heard of these two until this thread and the next day they"re advertising computers on my TV. They must be going ok.

FWIW I like them.

+1 on all this

2 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Don't Lose Sight is an earworm.  Been stuck in my head since @timwat launched this thread last week.

Over a week later and my kids (and wife...and me) are still singing this. Just a very fun, young, insanely talented group. Judging by their place on the Coachella poster (of which they are one of 6 bands I recognise...) they're still relatively unknown. Wonder how far they can go.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I have to admit I have been nigh on obsessed with this group of mega-talented musicians since Tim posted, and have gone down the youtube rabbit hole on them for days. 

All their videos are "high-concept," in the OKGo realm, and Gracie does most of the concepting. But a few are like the version of "Don't Look Back" that Tim started the thread with--"live" in the studio, seemingly pulling off the version we are hearing (regardless of whether they are). Clyde often jumps from board to board mid-song, as he does below as well. He does the arrangements, which really stands out on this tune. Stuff like this should fill even the stodgiest among us that the future of the music we love is in good hands...

• Like 2

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

10 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

I have to admit I have been nigh on obsessed with this group of mega-talented musicians since Tim posted, and have gone down the youtube rabbit hole on them for days. 

All their videos are "high-concept," in the OKGo realm, and Gracie does most of the concepting. But a few are like the version of "Don't Look Back" that Tim started the thread with--"live" in the studio, seemingly pulling off the version we are hearing (regardless of whether they are). Clyde often jumps from board to board mid-song, as he does below as well. He does the arrangements, which really stands out on this tune. Stuff like this should fill even the stodgiest among us that the future of the music we love is in good hands...

Yep. Young. Fun. Insanely talented.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

40 minutes ago, MathOfInsects said:

Freaking love that key change from D to Ab by the way.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

She has a great voice.  A little over the top onstage presence so.etimes, but I may saying g that be wise I'm not young anymore and jealous.  Last.ti.e I was blown away by a young singer was Haley  Williams, but Lawrence may the Cory Henry of the vocal world for me thus year.  

On 1/13/2022 at 10:32 AM, SteveCoscia said:

The other day, when I first watched Lawrence I thought, "Hmmmm.... he's got a Randy Newman thing going on." Glad to know RN is still influencing folks.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:20 AM, MathOfInsects said:

Exact same response. If those are the waters people are fishing in in 2022, no complaints here.

I'm working on a theory that the genius of Lawrence is they've tapped into a generation of latent Randy Newman fans who were unknowingly infused with a love for RN by repeated viewings of the many Disney Pixar films he scored (Toy Story, Cars, etc.).

25 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

I'm working on a theory that the genius of Lawrence is they've tapped into a generation of latent Randy Newman fans who were unknowingly infused with a love for RN by repeated viewings of the many Disney Pixar films he scored (Toy Story, Cars, etc.).

Close.  They have tapped into a sound that is different from anything being produced by their generation. 😎

• Like 2

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It's also the case that that particular song has Clyde bringing out that color in his voice during that first verse, which to be sure was probably affected to some extent by his appreciation of RN. But if you spend any time listening to more of their material, RN is not necessarily the first person you'd think of. They have digested the ethos of some soulful and creative predecessors and found a way to make something fresh and new from it. 

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, Morrissey said:

This "thing" is gonna kill me... [tv edit]

Noticed that, too.  Surprising it matters anymore these days on tv, but I applaud the restraint. :thu:  Can you imagine your 10-year-old covering that lyric on "show-and-tell" day at school?  (And you know they'll want to! :) )

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

8 minutes ago, Brad Kaenel said:

Noticed that, too.  Surprising it matters anymore these days on tv, but I applaud the restraint. :thu:  Can you imagine your 10-year-old covering that lyric on "show-and-tell" day at school?  (And you know they'll want to! :) )

A couple years ago I noticed some shows on basic cable began using previously off-limits curse words (e.g., s--t).  But I think broadcast tv is still bound by decency restrictions. 

• 3 weeks later...