Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - 5 favorite comfort food

1 hour ago, felis said:
3 hours ago, bill5 said:

That's really a thing? I thought Warner Bros just made it up for Bugs Bunny :classic_cool:

Yep - really a thing.  A quick google search will bring up some good recipes.

Yeah it was and still is common inside of the flyover areas to shoot/catch and eat rabbit, frog legs, squirrel, quail, etc.

This guy is a few miles away from me and a joy to watch (here he's harvesting a rabbit in Alaska):

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

* Brach's Milk Chocolate Malt balls.

* Taco Bell tube food. Same to you.

* The hearts of my enemies, batter-dipped and fried in hemp oil. :keynana:

• Haha 1

As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty
 and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life- so I became a scientist.

This is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls.
      ~ Matt Cartmill

1 hour ago, JazzPiano88 said:

Yeah it was and still is common inside of the flyover areas to shoot/catch and eat rabbit, frog legs, squirrel, quail, etc.

This guy is a few miles away from me and a joy to watch (here he's harvesting a rabbit in Alaska):

Besides the DIY version, I've also had it served in a trendy restaurant. 

Sadly - they've changed owners and focus, and it's no longer on the menu.

I've also had buffalo and rattlesnake.  I liked the buffalo.  Rattlesnake - no comment. 

Probably just couldn't get the idea of it out of my head while eating it.  🤣

There are so many choices... it's like asking for "5 favorite synthesizers". :D

Anyway:

Cuttlefish with peas (a Roman speciality)

Amatriciana - a pasta sauce from central Italy

Roast potatoes

Curry chicken

Of course, all of the above have to be prepared and cooked right.

Then I would include a sauce that I came up with 30 years ago, and that I still use to impress my friends... actually, it's one of the few things that I have invented, and that I can prepare decently. (I'm a terrible cook by Italian standards)

It includes tomato, zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, a few herbs and other little things. It can be used on both pasta and meat.

1 hour ago, Dave Bryce said:

No porchetta? :idk:

dB

:D Ha ha, I love porchetta but as I said, so many choices... plus, many plates from Rome and the surrounding zone tend to be quite heavy, and I'm not getting younger... 😳 Have you ever tried Code alla Vaccinara? Great taste, but it takes a week to digest it...

1 hour ago, marino said:

many plates from Rome and the surrounding zone tend to be quite heavy, and I'm not getting younger... 😳

Boy, do I hear that.  Besides the age thing I have no gall bladder any more, so this aspect has become a big factor for me. 😬

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

2 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

I have no gall bladder any more

If it's any comfort, one of my close friends had the same surgery, and after a period of adaptation, he's now back to complete normality... he can eat just everything, of course without going to extremes.

17 hours ago, bill5 said:

?

Um... y'know, burritos and soft tacos you can easily fold into a tube that neatly fits your pouting oral rictus. You can enjoy the flavors more readily by not having to see the goo and think about the actual components. I saw "Soylent Green" in a theater, so I tolerate "mystery meat" surprisingly well. As beef fades and fish becomes a memory, I'm fully prepped for the coming Cicada Enchiladas. Mmm, I can really taste those wings!

• Haha 1

~ Matt Cartmill

25 minutes ago, David Emm said:
17 hours ago, bill5 said:

?

Um... y'know, burritos and soft tacos you can easily fold into a tube that neatly fits your pouting oral rictus. You can enjoy the flavors more readily by not having to see the goo and think about the actual components. I saw "Soylent Green" in a theater, so I tolerate "mystery meat" surprisingly well.

Correct.   The ingredients are also shipped in tubes.   You have your meat caulk, your bean caulk, your sour cream caulk, etc.     I think the lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese, are engineered strictly for texture, not taste.    But it all makes sense....  enters and exits as a tube (usually).  

I entered a sit down Taco Bell last week and was surprised they have re-engineered the experience after Covid to mimic a Super Max Prison Intake.    No interaction with the staff and the seating area is bolted down metal fixtures probably optimized for pressurized hose-down at night. 

• Haha 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

1 hour ago, marino said:

If it's any comfort, one of my close friends had the same surgery, and after a period of adaptation, he's now back to complete normality... he can eat just everything, of course without going to extremes.

So can I, pretty much.  I do find that eating heavier meals later in the day can make me a bit uncomfortable.  Something like a yummy pastrami reuben sandwich with onion rings after 8PM - probably not the best idea. 🤔🤢

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

2 hours ago, David Emm said:

Um... y'know, burritos and soft tacos you can easily fold into a tube that neatly fits your pouting oral rictus. You can enjoy the flavors more readily by not having to see the goo and think about the actual components. I saw "Soylent Green" in a theater, so I tolerate "mystery meat" surprisingly well. As beef fades and fish becomes a memory, I'm fully prepped for the coming Cicada Enchiladas. Mmm, I can really taste those wings!

ah OK. I never eat fast food any more, but even before that I passed on Taco Hell's "beef paste" posing as meat. Gross 

Back to the good stuff. 

I'm still recovering from my meal tonight - saut'eed potatoes, bacon, Italian sausage, mushrooms, green peppers, black olives,

and Romano cheese tossed over spaghetti done with heavy cream and olive oil sauce.

Served with sides of all you can eat salad and breadsticks with butter and parmesan cheese.

Thank the gods that I'm in fairly good shape for an old man, because it's a heart attack meal.  🤣

Turkey sandwich with gravy

Someone mentioned turkey sandwich day after Thanksgiving, I like to dip the cold sandwich in hot gravy. 

Grilled roast beef on sourdough

Grilled roast beef, bacon, grilled mushrooms, caramelized onion, grilled bell pepper, fresh tomato, cheddar cheese, thousand island dressing inside sliced sour dough bread...... take the sandwich and grill it in butter and parmesan cheese in frying pan covered with lid.

Rice pudding?

Steamed rice (I liked converted rice but brown rice is healthier if you know how to steam it properly. I have never tried a rice steamer but I have spent years practicing my rice technique. The rice needs to be perfect- not overly wet.), scoop out a pile of steamed rice in a bowl, drop a tablespoon of unmelted butter over top (you want the butter to melt but don't melt it first.....melted butter tastes different than cooked butter), pour real maple syrup over top, sprinkle with cinnamon, add half & half. The key here is proportions of each. This takes a careful amount added just right so the rice is not swimming in half & half. Rice gets weird when a threshold of liquid is exceeded. The trick is to eat each spoonful with just the right amount of everything. Think of keeping it on the dry side rather than soupy. I believe some similar ideas call this a rice pudding but it is more like eating breakfast oatmeal or cream of wheat using rice.

Beef stew

Chuck roast is ideal, carrots, onion, potato. Dust the chuck chunks in flour and brown in a pan coated in olive oil. Ultimately this is cooked using a pressure cooker so that is where I brown the meat. Brown the onions as well. Onions will taste different if browned first. I tend to cook without adding spices and salt. I sometimes sprinkle mushroom powder before cooking and will add pepper before serving. With pressure cooking don't add a lot of water. Just an inch or a bit less and this when making enough for two people. Once it has cooked add more water to make it stewy or even soupy. If you add too much water before sealing and pressure cooking it becomes boiled meat and veggies instead of a nice flavor-packed sauce. So only enough water to cook then add more water after to create the consistency you desire. Cook on low heat with the steamer noise thing activated by heated pressure. Pressure cooking is fast. Don't rush it. Having less water will cause it to burn and stick to the pot. Just bring it up to pressure then let the pressure and heated environment do its thing.

My wife's sister makes some awesome big chinese dumplings called "huerza"  (that is phonetic, no idea how they are actually spelled).  She brings those over and they are pretty much every meal until they are gone.

Flip side, my meaning-well mom is sabotaging me.  She just brought over a giant box of krispy kremes for her grandkids, but of course the grandkids are in great shape and can eat these and just go play soccer/basketball for 3 hours in the baking heat.    I need to lose at least 40 pounds.  I cancelled a six-month vascular appt where the doc has pretty much said "well, I'm not sure what else you can do other than losing a bunch of weight" for my circulation issue....which really sucks.  I hadn't lost any weight so what's the point of going in.    One moment of weakness and the sugar has me, and the prime moments of such weakness are:  1) holding coffee in the morning, feeling hungry and 2) getting home from a late gig.     The second one I reckon is the real problem even if it's only once or twice a week.   Doing my best to hold the line, if I can go a few days I lose the urge for the junk somewhat.

9 hours ago, Stokely said:

One moment of weakness and the sugar has me, and the prime moments of such weakness are:  1) holding coffee in the morning, feeling hungry and 2) getting home from a late gig. The second one I reckon is the real problem even if it's only once or twice a week. Doing my best to hold the line, if I can go a few days I lose the urge for the junk somewhat.

Night eating is a major issue for a lot of musicians. Other entertainers as well. Been there, oh yes. Its a discipline issue not taught at Julliard. 

Brian Posehn said "I sometimes look in the mirror and say 'If you wanna lose some weight, stop eating chocolate cake at 3 a.m., you chubby bitch." 🤨

~ Matt Cartmill

On 9/15/2023 at 4:14 PM, bill5 said:

That's really a thing? I thought Warner Bros just made it up for Bugs Bunny :classic_cool:

and Laverne and Shirley

SCHLEMIEL, SCHLIMAZEL, HASENPFEFFER INCORPORATED

• Haha 1

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

5: The 4th chocolate chip cookie.

4: The 3rd chocolate chip cookie.

3. The 2nd chocolate chip cookie.

2. The 1st chocolate chip cookie.

1. A large cup of coffee.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.