Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Full Band Scores?

Anyone know where one could buy full band score transcriptions for rock bands? I"m in need of some Skynyrd keyboard scores to help learn a set quickly as a favor to an old friend - i can learn 75% faster with reasonably close transcriptions to get me in the ball park and then pick up the deltas by ear. I"m eager to pay fair price to rightful recipients etc etc ⦠I just don"t know where any of those are actually sold. Maybe they aren"t sold anymore - I have scans of alot of albums from other bands - alas no Skynard.

Thanks if you know â¦

Edit - I found one on eBay - has about half the songs needed. Search continues ⦠as you were

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles anthology transcriptions are done quite nicely.

Hal Leonard publishes a lot of transcriptions. So any of their dealers online or at a shop with a sheet music section will be able to get it to you. There is a collection they call 'note for note'.

https://www.halleonard.com/search/search.action?keywords=Rock+Scores&dt=item#products

Individual songs you can possibly find at

https://www.sheetmusicdirect.com/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thanks - i have a few of those full band Rock Scores and they are generally decent - they get you in the ballpark. Alas, non for Skynyrd. Thank you though â¦
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I can't read music well, so a score would be painful for me...I generally get on ultimate guitar and copy out their lyrics/chords to a google doc, making what edits and notes I needed. Sometimes I will put particular notes for some passages, like a harmony vocal part or a keyboard line that is tricky, more of my notes are about timing (2 bars, followed by 1 bar fill etc etc).

For Call Me the Breeze I was having trouble hearing what his solo was doing (first part) and found a good vid on youtube of someone going through it. I still have trouble with that section--switching from minor to major chords that quickly is really awkward for me--but the vid helped me to learn the basic structure and I have a reasonable facsimile of the solo. :) I realize that is not a score but for some songs youtube can be really helpful. For example, I'm learning "Peg" and reading those chord names let alone the notes would not be helpful for a rock hack like me. I don't know a sharp 9 from a sharp knife (though now I do!) I don't think there's a single "normal" triad chord in that entire song! :D I've found a couple youtube tutorials on it, they differ with some chords, and watching Donald fagen play it on a vid, he played it different yet...but I've averaged these out to something I think will work!

Keep in mind from what I've heard from live Skynyrd concerts, the keys never played things exactly the same (Ray Manzarek same thing). I get that some bands want to be exactly like the studio recording though. Edit: whoops just realized this was for a friend that prefers scores...oh well, needed more coffee before blathering....

I can't read music well, so a score would be painful for me...I generally get on ultimate guitar and copy out their lyrics/chords to a google doc, making what edits and notes I needed. Sometimes I will put particular notes for some passages, like a harmony vocal part or a keyboard line that is tricky, more of my notes are about timing (2 bars, followed by 1 bar fill etc etc).

For Call Me the Breeze I was having trouble hearing what his solo was doing (first part) and found a good vid on youtube of someone going through it. I still have trouble with that section--switching from minor to major chords that quickly is really awkward for me--but the vid helped me to learn the basic structure and I have a reasonable facsimile of the solo. :) I realize that is not a score but for some songs youtube can be really helpful. For example, I'm learning "Peg" and reading those chord names let alone the notes would not be helpful for a rock hack like me. I don't know a sharp 9 from a sharp knife (though now I do!) I don't think there's a single "normal" triad chord in that entire song! :D I've found a couple youtube tutorials on it, they differ with some chords, and watching Donald fagen play it on a vid, he played it different yet...but I've averaged these out to something I think will work!

Keep in mind from what I've heard from live Skynyrd concerts, the keys never played things exactly the same (Ray Manzarek same thing). I get that some bands want to be exactly like the studio recording though. Edit: whoops just realized this was for a friend that prefers scores...oh well, needed more coffee before blathering....

No, all info is appreciated, thx. I"m an all of the above synthesis guy - I"ll combine all inputs to speed the process. I had found the Breeze solo tutorial (there"s a few) and those also very helpful. Simple structure songs are easy for a rock hack like me, some of his riffs and licks just take me a longer time to figure out.

And yes, anything i come up with will be a facsimile - i already told the throw-together band I"ll sit with that they can"t afford Billy Powell, they"ll get what they get. I"m 100% certain the guitars won"t capture all the nuances either - starting with the fact they don"t have 3 and working downward from there ⦠thanks again!