Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kawai KDP Stage Version

Hello all,

today I tried out a Kawai KDP90. Thought it was really nice actually. The sound, touch and speaker system was all very nice.

Would there be a stage piano equivalent that would provide similar performance? Specifically, the volume level was great. Obviously, the worry is that a stage piano version would not have as good a speaker system.

I used to own a Kawai ES6 which, I believe, has the same (or at least similar) keyboard action to the KDP90. However, I certainly preferred the KDP90. The ES6 seemed sluggish and underpowered in comparison. The KDP is a nice and quick keyboard action and the sound and touch feels nice, solid and precise with plenty volume.

Any advice greatly appreciated! Does Kawai James post on here? He could be the key!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The KDP90 and it's associated key action ( AHA IV-F) is discontinued as far as I can tell, so unless you find another model somewhere that used that action, you're out of luck.

The RHC and RHIII actions have replaced it from what I've read. (I think the RHC might only be used in the ES-110)

The RHIII is a very good action IMO. (I have an ES-920 for what it's worth.)

Key action is such a subjective thing. You'll never know what any action is really like until you actually try them out yourself.

The KDP90 has the AHA IV-F action and two 12cm speakers and 14watt amplifiers.

The AHA is an earlier version of the compact Kawai actions RHC, RHII, RHIII.

https://kawaius.com/technology/wooden-key-actions/

The ES8 has the RHIII, two 8x12cm oval speakers and 15watt amplifiers.

The ES520 has the RHII, two 8x12cm oval speakers and 20watt amplifiers.

The ES110 is their sub $1k model. Has the RHC action with 12cm speakers and 7 watt amplifiers.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I think Konnector and Elmer have already answered your question nicely, however perhaps the closest portable instrument to the KDP90 would be the original ES100.

The ES100 utilises the same AHA IV-F keyboard action and 88-key EX (not SK-EX) piano samples. The speakers are a similar size, however the KDP90 has a more powerful amplifier.

Here is a comparison of the ES100, ES110, KDP90, and KDP110 for reference:

https://www.kawai-global.com/product_comparison/detail.php?n=kdp110,kdp90,es110,es100&ct=36

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.