Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A major shock

One of my colleagues dropped dead in his office yesterday. He was in his early fifties. There were no warnings, no history of health problems or life threatening illness. I saw him a few days before Christmas. He looked fine - good complexion, no baggy eyes or puffy limbs, no respiratory distress. This gentleman was working in a building across the street from the south tower of the World Trade Center on the morning of the terror attacks. He climbed down thirty-seven floors to evacuate. When I contacted him the next day, he mentioned that he'd seen terrifying things that morning. We agreed to get together to talk about it sometime. We never did. Life is fleeting. Enjoy it while you can. [ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Dan South ]

The Black Knight always triumphs!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm truly sorry to hear about that, Dan. On the other hand, I'm assuming it was a heart attack (rather than a stroke). I've heard that many people who suffer heart attacks know beforehand that one is on the way, but choose to ignore the symptoms. The chest pain, pressure in the left arm or jaw, any one of those. Society has dictated that men shouldn't be "whiners" about pain, and many take that way beyond the bounds of reason. Reasons vary, some don't want to bother others, some think that it will go away...but many are aware that something is wrong and mistakenly choose to do nothing, until it suddenly becomes so bad they are helpless. I've heard that there is a "golden hour" of a heart attack, the time in which a victim is most likely to survive if given prompt treatment. I guess, the lesson learned, is don't ignore symptoms, even if they seem to be minor...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

6 or 7 years ago my grandfather died of a heart attack the night after his 80th birthday. He had been going round and round with the doctors in a managed care hospital for a few weeks before that. All they did were tests. About a year after that my dad's best friend died. I think he was about 43. That one was a shock to pretty much everyone even though he was a heavy smoker and not exactly a healthy eater or drinker. His mother did say after the fact that about 2 weeks before he had mentioned some symptoms but wouldn't go to the doctor or tell anybody else. The part that got me was his wife said that night in bed he had said he thought he might be dying. She wanted to call a doctor and said he wouldn't let her. [i]That[/i] I think is BS. Leave the bedroom and call someone. But instead they just stayed in bed and she found him dead that morning. I would like to think he died in his sleep, but I doubt it. So, lesson learned. Don't fuck around if you think you have heart trouble. And if you can help it, don't use an HMO.

That's tragic - I'm so sorry Dan! Many times even when we think we can do something, I believe it's in the cards. Stuff out of our control! Of course, don't take warnings lightly as we can help the outcome, but fate is one, and hopefully we'll all go to a analog heaven in the sky!

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Life is fleeting. Enjoy it while you can. [ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Dan South ][/b][/quote] I'm sorry to hear that. I jump for joy every morning/afternoon that I can get out of bed. I try to convey this same joy to my family whenever I can. I've lost too many people close to me for stupid reasons. I do feel good knowing what the real priorities are in life.

FIBES

"you can like it or you can not like it."

Very sad news...Very sorry to hear that, but it seems to happen way more than it should. I have a client who is a cardiologist. I am 35 and in generally good shape but a bit overweight, and I was having some mild chest pains last summer, and I mentioned it to him whiel in setting up a few new PC's for him. He had me in that weekend for a full stress test and Radioactive Isotope scan of my heart. It turned out that my heart is in great shape, but I am stressed out and a nervous type. I am big puss when it comes to medical stuff, but I am VERY glad I had it done. If any one is having symptoms, at least make a consult appointment with a good cardiologist or get your Family Practice guy/gal to refer you. Your family and loved ones with thank you later. You'd be amazed at how good the chances for survival are even with very complicated problems, and like nearly anything, the earlier caught, the more treatable it is. Again, sorry to hear about your friend. Maybe someone reading this thread will be inspired to get their own problem treated, saving themselves in the process. When I go to this Doc's office now, there are ALL ages in there getting check-ups and treatments. One other thing I noticed is that the stress of worrying about a potential heart problem went away after I got a good check-up.

Sorry to hear that. Believe me, I know how fleeting life is. So much so, I wrote a song about it... one of my faves. You don't even know when you'll go even if you're totally healthy. A neighbor was murdered last year, kidnapped from her kitchen. And this is a very small town. Never happened before, in my lifetime. Terrible tragedy. Nice lady. I'd known her all my life.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Sorry to hear that, Dan. My condolences... A few months ago a cousin of mine died while sitting in a hotel bed watching TV one evening. His heart apparently just fibrolated for a few seconds, then stopped. He was 45 years old, an absolute [i]model[/i] of health and fitness. He was in far better shape than I am at 41, yet he's gone and I'm still here. Go figure. :confused: [quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Life is fleeting. Enjoy it while you can.[/b][/quote] Amen to that! We tend to take life for granted until something like this happens. When we're lucky, it happens to someone else and serves as kind of a wake-up call. I know I feel so much more "awake" after the last 4 months. Peace all, Steve

><>

Steve

Dan, I'm sorry to hear of your friend's death. After getting out of the army,I saw an old friend going into a restaurant in my home town. I was on my way somewhere and told myself I'd catch up with him later. He was murdered a few months later. Killed by a hot-head over some stupid argument at a stupid party. That was thirty years ago. It amazes me how deeply I regret that lost chance to this day. later, Mike

Archived