Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Ipad?

D. Gauss

Have been gifted the new ipad of my choice. Never having had one before (PC guy mostly), which is the best choice for music, virtual instruments VB3m, etc? The gift giver had assumed i'd want the M1 pro, but it seems to me that it is a bit crippled by the ipad OS. i.e. can't run logic on it/apps not taking advantage of m1/money wasted?

Is the mini a better choice? easier to carry around, takes up less space in a live rig etc?

the lack of headphone jack issue on either seems sucky all around as well.

any help appreciated. thnks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I"ve been using a mini since the 2 model. I find the size convenient to pack in my gig bag yet be large enough to read charts and project B3X. I"ve since upgraded to the mini 6 with a Hyper-Drive 6 port hub that includes an audio jack, USB A and C ports, and card readers. I did spring for the 256 GB memory and haven"t had any glitches yet.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Have been gifted the new ipad of my choice. Never having had one before (PC guy mostly), which is the best choice for music, virtual instruments VB3m, etc? The gift giver had assumed i'd want the M1 pro, but it seems to me that it is a bit crippled by the ipad OS. i.e. can't run logic on it/apps not taking advantage of m1/money wasted?

Is the mini a better choice? easier to carry around, takes up less space in a live rig etc?

the lack of headphone jack issue on either seems sucky all around as well.

any help appreciated. thnks.

I"d suggest selecting one of the Pros because they are supported by Apple with OS updates the longest, they have the most RAM and the most processing power for running audio/midi routing software and a few instruments at the same time. Assuming you"ll pair it with one of your keyboards, you"ll be routing audio and midi through the iPad"s charging/data port with a class compliant interface. Maybe a few guys here can suggest which they are using with the current iPad Pros. They also have the largest screens if you want to use for sheet music, reading, watching movies. The 11' model is a nice compromise. 12.9' is best on a stand, but not for holding.

Universal Audio has a $139 Volt 1 which is iOS compatible and has a USB-C connector. 1 combo jack input, L/R audio outs, Midi I/O.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

How much use you get from one really depends on how much a consumer of content you are. iPads were designed from their inception to be a media delivery device. It"s for reading books, magazines, sheet music, the internet, listening to music, watching movies and tv shows, playing games, facetime with friends and family. Creatives and the developer community have made it do so much more. Now it"s of course a lightweight content creation device. When Adobe brought Photoshop over Apple up"d the specs (RAM, storage, CPU) on the Pro models in an acknowledged artists would want to use it to create content.

Perhaps a nice compromise is the MacBook Air. You get the 8-core M1 cpu but a proper keyboard and it runs MacOS so you can use more robust AU/VSTs.

fwiw, i won't be playing games, watching TV, reading books, facetime, etc., and i don't read music, so sheet music is not an issue. as i mentioned originally, i had been wrongly under the assumption that the pricey pro ipad with the M1 ran "real" programs like logic. given it doesn't, that seems a total waste of money (and processor) as it is pretty much the same price as a macbook air.

so, perhaps the ipad mini 6 256GB with the clamp on hub as LIGHTBG mentioned upthread is the way to go?

Just throwing this out for food for thought....

I have a iPad Pro and ends up don't use it much wish I had got a MacBook Pro instead.

I have an Ipad pro and a Macbook Air M1. The air is definately the better music device. What I don"t like about the Ipad pro is the absence of a headphone jack. From my experience adapters can be problematic in getting a clean sound.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I had the iPad Pro 12.9 with the sound jack, but it was too big to carry it around for gigs (I prefer to carry the Mac). So I sold it to a friend who wanted it as a scores reader, and kept my small iPad mini 2 which is small enough to fit in my wallet ;) and can be on stage as a second sound source if needed.

If you have the choice of a new Mac instead of a new ipad, I would definitely go for the Mac...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

The headphone jack omission is one of the most frustrating decisions ever (for me at least), both on the phone and ipad. It's kind of a reminder that they have a target audience, and I ain't it...that philosophy (and some gig glitches) is a reason I'm looking to phase the ipad back out of my rig. Getting a "would you like to upgrade your OS to use your accessory" message right before my last gig really had me on edge....granted, computers aren't music devices either, and I have had issues with OS upgrades breaking stuff there too. But I've been doing music on computers since '89 so it's a bit more of an established thing.

I do like my ipad in general, I use it for lyrics on a couple songs, reading, and at gigs I also use it with various consoles to control my monitor mix if the soundperson gives me access. But there's no way in heck I'd rely on it for gigs, as it is I'm fully prepared to play the MODX organs if it poops out on me again.

If my iPad mini 2 can do it (AUM with Korg Module, Animoog, VB3m, Arturia Moog, iMoog, Ravrenscroft grand etc etc) I see no reason why a much newer machine wouldn't...

out of curiosity, how much storage do those apps take? do they all fit on a 64GB, or do you need more?

Of the ones mentioned only the ones that use sample libraries take up a great deal of space.

Korg Module starts with 1.3gb and then you add to it.

Ivory for Korg Module is 2gb.

Ravenscroft 275 is 860mb.

The included data in these mobile libraries is much smaller than their macOS counterparts.

The current standard iPad is fine for what you have in mind.

If my iPad mini 2 can do it (AUM with Korg Module, Animoog, VB3m, Arturia Moog, iMoog, Ravrenscroft grand etc etc) I see no reason why a much newer machine wouldn't...

out of curiosity, how much storage do those apps take? do they all fit on a 64GB, or do you need more?

My ipad is 16 gigs only and it contains all these plus more. I believe 32 gigs is sufficient enough for music purposes plus the extras you need for internet, films etc. Most of the new model ipads usually come with 32 gigs and more of storage. I would also suggest to search for good RAM in your model, at least 2 gigs, so the ipad can handle easily the heavy load while you open more than two music apps at once (which will eventually happen inside AUM).

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

My two pence - I find making music on an iPad very frustrating coming from a desktop OS. I have a new IPad Pro courtesy of work and it"s great for watching things and writing the odd document/editing a spreadsheet. The latter is better on a desktop however.

If you want to make music in an apple ecosystem I recommend a Mac mini. If you are looking to add a causal sound source to a keyboard rig then any of the current iPads will be powerful enough. If you want to use apps with sound libraries get higher amount of storage

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage | Key Largo

Elmer nailed the most crucial ethos of Ipads: Great for delivery of content, but not so much for creation of content.

As an all-rounder I highly recommend the smallest Macbook air you can find. As something to control stuff: an Ipad mini. To just read books, visit websites, light email: Get an Android! ... and save for a Macbook.

I use an Ipad pro for reading music, and is most crucial use for me. That sounds like it isn't a priority for you, and is an expensive sheet music reader. Unfortunately for that purpose, there isn't anything on Android that works for me. As someone mentioned, the Ipad pro series, seem to have the most longevity.

I got an ipad 2018 Mini as a control interface for my Yamaha piano and Mojo organ, to use as a sound module (Korg & IK apps), and to control the various mixer-monitor apps that one encounters on gigs with sound companies. That's been my favorite ipad, and I concur the perfect size for that type of application. Thats coming from someone who grew up looking at 2 line LCD displays on synth modules, so I'm easily pleased. Mine is getting old, but still runs pretty well for those apps, and can still websurf and do the kindle app.

As Steve said, trying to create music on an ipad to me is a dismal experience. I use an older 12" Macbook air and a newer 13" M1 air (both provided by the Church I work for). All the crucial music apps (Mainstage/Gig performer, Abelton/Logic/Protools etc.) plus office stuff, teams, zoom etc. Just now trying out IOS apps on the M1, but can't report yet how well that works yet.

I had a Kindle for a while, and though I find Android world a little harder to navigate- I loved it for the kindle book app, various news apps, and surfing the web An ipad is overkill for that.

RE: Lack of Headphone jack. Lighting to 1/8 adaptors are plentiful on Ebay and Amazon, and many music apps use bluetooth. Interfaces like the Korg PlugKey (recommended) or IK provide a proper 1/4 and/or headphone output, and most newer Usb audio interfaces will work fine if you use a powered hub, but that's a PITA. If you get an ipad, plan on getting a bluetooth keyboard (the kind you type on..) and a proper audio interface.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

[align:left]iPad Pros have the most RAM and memory so I"d recommend one of those. Ultimately it depends on what you want to do with it. When considering form factor and price of apps, the iPad could be either:

1. An amazing sound module/synth (Vtines, OB-Xd, Mononoke, Animoog Z)

2. The best multi-fx pedal when paired with a small audio interface like an iRig Duo (fx by Eventide, Nebrini, Bleass, FAC, Overloud TH-U)

3. A great sampler with apps like Koala (SP404), Beatmaker 3, LoopField, sEGments

4. An incredible sequencer with apps like Patterning 2 and Fugue Machine

5. A solid DAW (with Garageband, Cubasis, AUM) depending on how you work around the RAM limitationsâ¦freezing/bouncing tracks...

Pick one or two of the above, but just not all at once. Try to stick with apps that are auv3s for the most flexibility.

Korg Gadget, which is like a big bag of Volcas, is a great start because it sounds great and it's very stable since it"s self contained. You can access other instruments/effects outside of Gadget using the midi-out gadget (Tai Pei), but you have access to purchase great synths and instruments like the Korg Mono/Poly or Scarbee EPs that work inside of Gadget. Also, projects can be exported to Ableton.

The lack of a headphone jack is a pain, and I hate dongles so I really like the Hubble case, which adds all the ports that should be standard, but it"s a good idea to get a couple headphone adapters. Bluetooth audio still isn"t great for making music, but a Bluetooth MIDI adapter like the WIDI Master or BM-A01 really elevates the experience. I don"t notice any latency when playing, but it"s not great for sequencing. Don't forget most of the above works on your iPhone too, which I find is great for auditioning sounds and as I mentioned above is a great portable multi-effects pedal when paired with a small audio interface.

Apps like Vtines + FAC Phazer + Eventide Blackhole + GS VintageClean hosted in AUM, wirelessly controlled by a nice Bluetooth MIDI controller is a lot of fun.[/align]

Questing through innerspace...

[align:left]

The lack of a headphone jack is a pain [/align]

that's an understatement! for my needs, (playing vb3m, etc) i was pretty much set to get an ipad mini 6 256gb, but man, the rabbit hole of trying to get crap connected to it that actually works is an endless dive. seems most of the usb-c hubs that actually have headphone jacks AND power delivery have shitty DAC's in them (hyperdrive i'm talking to you), or have myriad other issues: dropping connectivity, catching fire, destroying your ipad, etc.

right now this seems to be a choice (albeit a reluctant one as i'd still have to hang an apple usbc to 3.5mm dongle off of this dongle):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08X1YVCZG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A35D5ON3677H9N&psc=1

I remember back in my early days around 1999 as an SysAdmin and Sony came out with the smallest computer for the time a little smaller than a iPad mini but much thicker. They made it small by taking out the CD ROM a must have back then, floppy drive still was used, and other items. So it was very small, but by they time you hooked up external CD-ROM, floppy drive, and other things it was a mess of devices and cables on your desk. The tend Apple started with ditching ports on iPad and Macbooks reminds me of the same mess now with dongles and devices all over to make it useful. If your going to call something PRO then put the ports back. They started with the latest MBPs, but now mucking with the stupid new iMac and making it too dam thin and having to move ports to stupid locations.

Apple get over you obsession with thin and light offer gym memberships if a three pound laptop is straining your users.

seems most of the usb-c hubs that actually have headphone jacks AND power delivery have shitty DAC's in them (hyperdrive i'm talking to you), or have myriad other is connectivity, catching fire, destroying your ipad, etc.

Best iPad audio setup right now is probably the US$99 Arturia MiniFuse 1 - gives you two 1/4" line outs, headphone jack (w/ separate volume control), and a one-port USB Hub for USB MIDI devices; but you"ll still need an Apple dongle for power.

Arturia MiniFuse 2 adds MIDI DIN (IN)

Arturia MiniFuse 4 adds a second USB MIDI port and 2nd MIDI DIN (OUT)

Arturia MiniFuse

https://www.arturia.com/products/audio/minifuse/thecollection

seems most of the usb-c hubs that actually have headphone jacks AND power delivery have shitty DAC's in them (hyperdrive i'm talking to you), or have myriad other is connectivity, catching fire, destroying your ipad, etc.

Best iPad audio setup right now is probably the US$99 Arturia MiniFuse 1 - gives you two 1/4" line outs, headphone jack (w/ separate volume control), and a one-port USB Hub for USB MIDI devices; but you"ll still need an Apple dongle for power.

Arturia MiniFuse 2 adds MIDI DIN (IN)

Arturia MiniFuse 4 adds a second USB MIDI port and 2nd MIDI DIN (OUT)

Arturia MiniFuse

https://www.arturia.com/products/audio/minifuse/thecollection

that giant beast seems to defeat the whole purpose of an ipad mini?

to be very clear... 61 key keyboard, x-stand, ipad for VB3m or B3x and the absolute least amount of wires & dongle crap connected to it (power/audio out) to make it work in a dive bar full of drunks.

You may want to check out an interface like the Xtone Pro or the iRig Pro DUO I/O. The Xtone is nice and sturdy, it's shaped like a stomp box, has an expression pedal port which would be great for VB3m (if your keyboard doesn't already have one), it has a headphone jack for monitoring audio, the footswitches send out midi cc which can be mapped to all kinds of functions, 5 pin MIDI I/O, but you'll need a dongle because the Xtone won't charge your iPad and you'll need ports for the Xtone Pro and power. I really like the Xtone, but for me it's too big for everyday carry, so I have an iRig Pro DUO I/O on the way. The iRig is small, has audio out, 2.5mm MIDI I/O, a headphone jack and will charge your iPad when connected to the (optional) power supply. The iRig is small and light enough to be tethered to your stand, so ultimately it would be just one cable going into your iPad and everything else going into the iRig. I'm really hoping it's the compact solution I've been looking for.
Questing through innerspace...

I have every size ipad (and numerous laptops windows and mac) the only ipad everyday I use is my 2nd gen 12.9 pro with pencil. I have 2nd gen because it was way cheaper, but runs well, of course latest is best, uses a different pencil.

The 12.9 is just awesome to read anything. Musescore and iReal Pro are great, I am testing Dorico now for notation. There is no comparison for reading music, the normal size is terrible. The 12.9 is great, also for audio, no comparison. Speakers are loud. Pencil is excellent.

Mine has 256GB storage. Of course I still use the laptops, especially to type, and when software dictates. But the Ipad will go right on a music stand or piano, or in my hands, no comparison with laptop for many situations. Just much nicer.

Of course real sheet music is the nicest. :) I have lots, but to carry what's at hand on the ipad I would need a truck.

There was a recent thread which showed some decent pianos and there are many audio posssiblites with ipads including MIDI even DIN. Garageband for ipad is pretty decent. Like a synth you like, it does not replace your piano, but it's a very nice thing to have, IMHO.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Re: Charging/Powering iPad (with multiple devices connected)

When I was still using the original iPad charger (1.0 Amp), I would occasionally get the "device not supported" error, but it went away when I started using a 2.4 Amp charger. Even better are the new USB-C 3 Amp chargers, with higher wattages. So at least on that front, some progress has been made.