Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This may sound stupid but...

The one connector solution would require a smart digital interface to recognize and understand what the varying connected items are. Hey, like USB! It will require a lot more than just the keyboard mfgs get together, may need common accessory standards or installing interface plug-ins to the keyboard.

This isn"t near the top of my list of what I want them to invest their energies in, but i don"t hate the idea if they do find a lot of free time with nothing to do. I"d rather have Yamaha (my personal rig) invest in adding a goddamn Hammond clone engine inside one of their AWM + FM flagships and improve the Leslie sim while they are in there .,.. I run a simple rig - there are 5 or 7 connections depending on if I"m running a mp3 backtrack input device thru my board. All connections are to the left of my ultimate AX center pedestal. I run them all horizontal and clean back to the center pedestal and then down the back of the pedestal using the cable mgt clips. It"s not messy until it gets to the floor and spreads out like Medusa but idgaf.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So seems like the simple solution would be for KB makers to just add a multi-pin connector and sell optional breakout cable. The breakout cable would be say something like 6-10 feet long and to give a clean single run down to the floor where your spagetti of connections can run to wherever needed.

My .02: if you're gonna have a breakout box on the floor, or away from the keyboard, might as well use ethernet. One small thin cable can do it all and probably run for as far a distance as you'd ever need. Of course the breakout box would have active electronics in it, but I assume you'd be able to handle power, midi, audio (maybe even multichannel audio?) - all with one thin cable coming off the keyboard using an industry-standard connector and cable available at any Best Buy.

Of course this wouldn't be a DIY project - manufacturers would have to design the circuitry & build an e-net jack into their keyboards. So there's that! However I imagine these parts wouldn't be hard to source since it's such an established standard.

[edit - is mLAN on any keyboard yet? I think that's what I just described!]

My .02: if you're gonna have a breakout box on the floor, or away from the keyboard, might as well use ethernet. One small thin cable can do it all and probably run for as far a distance as you'd ever need.

This is a bit like what I do with my Macbook that I use as the monitor/controller for my Mac Mini

My rack sits well out of the way, pretty much hidden from view and my MacBook Pro is connected via Ethernet directly to the Mini. No WiFi, no ad hoc WiFi connections for Duet, etc...

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

My .02: if you're gonna have a breakout box on the floor, or away from the keyboard, might as well use ethernet. One small thin cable can do it all and probably run for as far a distance as you'd ever need. Of course the breakout box would have active electronics in it, but I assume you'd be able to handle power, midi, audio (maybe even multichannel audio?) - all with one thin cable coming off the keyboard using an industry-standard connector and cable available at any Best Buy.

Of course this wouldn't be a DIY project - manufacturers would have to design the circuitry & build an e-net jack into their keyboards. So there's that! However I imagine these parts wouldn't be hard to source since it's such an established standard.

[edit - is mLAN on any keyboard yet? I think that's what I just described!]

Ethernet has huge advantages. Proven reliable and cables are both affordable and easy to find. There are already protocols that can easily send and receive all the data streams needed.

Unfortunately, universal acceptance is a long ways off, we've had Ethernet for a LONG time and it's only just recently started to sneak it's way into music creation.

Manufacturers seem to like proprietary solutions for some reason.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Ethernet is very reliable, but it doesn't offer (afaik) a higher-level protocol for discovery and advertisement of capabilities - that's where USB wins out. I agree with the concerns about reliability, but I must admit I was thinking simply as a connector from a breakout box on the floor to the board. 6ft should be sufficient - just like a mouse or keyboard.

To run 50ft to an off-stage rack is a more challenging prospect.

Cheers, Mike.