Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Playing two keyboards together - live

I have my Kronos plugged into the FOH at my church. I only have one stereo set of inputs available to me.

I want to also play my Yamaha MOXF8 at the same time. Is there a way I can run audio cables from the Yamaha into the Kronos and then have the sounds of both keyboards feeding the PA through the stereo outs of the Kronos?

Thanks in advance!

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done that with various keyboards (and with my old E-MU Proteus many years ago). It's easier than bringing a small mixer, but it's a bit easier to tell what's going on with a mixer, and you don't have to worry about what happens if you turn either keyboard up or down as much as they are independent from each other.

Make sure you don't overdrive the inputs (I've never used a Kronos so I don't know if it offers any monitoring for the external input). If you find one keyboard is too loud compared to the other it might take a bit of juggling, since the master volume will control the levels of both keyboards going to FOH. If you don't normally reach for master volumes during shows then things will be easier. In short, gain structuring can be a bit trickier is a more concise way to put it.

Yo can get a small behringer mixer for about 40 bucks.

Sweetwater behringer mixer

That was the first thing I thought of was use a small mixer and send output from mixer to FOH.

Back when I worked that Yes tour in the 70's that is how the keyboards were handled. The was one of those early Tascom "home" studio mixing desks that sat behind the keyboard riser. The keyboard tech had all the keys running into the mixer and he fed the FOH. The tech would sit at that console during the show riding the levels if necessary. I think he might of also created a monitor mix for the keys too.

Having a small mixer is really handy tool to have in your gearbag.

One other variable to consider is that keyboards may process incoming audio signals through their own effects. It's a cool feature, but not if it's not what you want. There was some board I used, I think it was a Yamaha, where for some reason the program I was using added effects to what was coming into its audio inputs, and it took me a while to figure out how to get rid of them.

And Stokely's post above is on the money.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Kronos provides monitoring and routing of audio inputs to make sure you are avoiding all internal FX processing (if that's what you want, as in this case), or selectively applying FX to the audio in. It also helpfully provides physical line/mic selector switch as and a level knob for each of the stereo inputs. I used to use it as a quick "mixer" for 2nd board in rehearsals.

As noted above, you do need to make sure you don't hit it too hard, and there's no idiot light (red overload LED) as on many mixers. Was not really my problem, as I was feeding it my Nord Wave, which has the opposite challenge with relatively low input.

But it can work if your intended usage fits.

This is exactly what I do (for some gigs), running my PC3 audio out into my MOX8 audio in. Then I eliminate any FX that the MOX8 might apply to those inputs. There is a volume knob on the MOX8 to adjust the amount of incoming signal from the PC3.

Works real nice, eliminates need for a sub-mixer when I only have a stereo pair available to me on the main mixer.

Actually, it also works out real nice when I DO want the MOX8 effects on the incoming signal; I did this for Steve Miller's "Fly Like An Eagle", processing the synth sound from the PC3 through the MOX8's effects section.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

If and when I ever get the the darn thing, I'm considering using my new PC4's inputs in this way. I have a Key Largo mixer/DI, but since the PC4 outputs are balanced (iirc) I wouldn't need the DI (I probably don't anyway with the relatively short cable runs I do). It depends on how solid it feels once I try it. It would be nice to not have to set up the mixer with it's wall wart.

Also this has me thinking about fx a bit. If I could apply an overall reverb on the PC4 to both itself and the incoming signal, that might be nice. I like to be able to tweak this simply as some venues are so live I'd prefer my patches be more dry (or they get completely washed out.) Of course, I could also do this in the main mixer and that might be easier---though I'd have to see how our mixer's fx sound first! :D

If you're playing with two stereo keyboards and PA units, they often have an A and a B input. One time I forgot my little mixer, and ended up running each stereo keyboard to a pair of speakers, and adjusting relative levels on the back of the units. Not exactly the best solution, but it works.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I am just using a volume pedal for my Korg Module Pro/Model D and direct outs for my Mojo 61. All into a Mixer. Works for me.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I use the line inputs on my MODX7 all the time when adding a second board or external module to my live rig.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud