Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg SV2 editor

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the SV2 editor. I have used it to create some bass/keys splits, for the rare gig that my bass player has to miss. I'm not super interested in creating layers but, if it's worth the time, I could be persuaded to dive into the different amp sims and cabinet combinations. I feel like i've gotten some great A.P., wurly, calv, and rhodes patches just using the front panel, but if anyone has any suggestions, i'd love to hear them.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that the editor is quite useful. For example, I used it to tweak the amp sim EQ for the EPs and Wurlis, which you can"t access on the front panel, as I didn"t like the factory settings. I used it also to tweak the amp sim volume and the power attenuator in the cabinet section. This has quite some effects on the tone character and level. I spent quite some time on this, maybe too much :-)

I spent also some time on the tremolo effect, to adjust the mix level and the spread, which you can"t access on the front panel.

And then, you have access via the editor to many other sounds which are not in the 72 factory slots.

And last but not least, I used it to arrange the sounds in the favorites slots according to my needs.

So overall I think the editor is an essential part of the SV2, and enables many things which are not possible without it.

I haven't found a Wurly sound satisfying enough for me in the presets, so I created my own, based on Wurly Classic program, with desired tremolo effect and Tweed Amp ready to use (Clean also works great). Preset Wurlys are on mellow side, I'd say. I did same thing with FM pianos, I made my own ones and put them into favourites. For tine pianos I didn't change much but choosed the effects I prefer and saved that into favourites.

In some of my presets I have a special split made - with split point on the lowest key on the keybed. So it behaves like a non-split sound after recalling unless I press Local Off + desired key later. Then I have pre-programmed bass sound on the left side without using another favourite space. You can also set each layer if expression pedal affects its volume, so you don't have to make e.g. two favourites - with and without background pad/string, obviously if you have expression pedal.

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

• 4 weeks later...
I finally delved into the editor, with similar results. I was able to tweek wurlys, rhodes, and pianos more to my liking. Is there a quick way to limit, or remove completely, the pedal noise for the piano samples?

Switch off RX layer or adjust volume of it. But remember, action noises are also on this layer, not only pedal noise.

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7